Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-09-2008, 02:33 AM   #16
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Be honest how far will they really go this year??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269
Whoops, my mistake. The '94-95 Rockets were the 6 seed, not the 5.

I thought this forum had people who knew what they were talking about? Go look at how many NBA playoff series HOME teams have won compared to road teams. I think its up around 68%. Yea, you are right, doesnt mean much

Doesnt mean much if your a playoff tested team. Suns have been a top seed over the last couple of years, didnt do them much did it? or the Blazers, or the Kings before them.

Thats why the Spurs dont give a crap if they are like a 5 seed, they KNOW how to win in the Payoffs, especially on the road, otherwise every series would go 7 deep.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #17
Local High School Star

211269 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13
Doesnt mean much if your a playoff tested team. Suns have been a top seed over the last couple of years, didnt do them much did it? or the Blazers, or the Kings before them.

Thats why the Spurs dont give a crap if they are like a 5 seed, they KNOW how to win in the Payoffs, especially on the road, otherwise every series would go 7 deep.

ok, nevermind. I am stating facts while others are just spouting out crap. Gotta love the internet. If homecourt didnt mean anything, how come only ONE team in NBA history outside of a top 4 seed has won a championship?
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:54 AM   #18
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This team has not won a playoff series in a while and except for Kobe and DFish, they don't have players with winnning playoff experience. While they now possess the pieces to do some serious damage in the playoffs, they need to get the experience. As good as this team could be I think the inexperience is going to hurt them.

Add to that they are in a loaded west were #8 will be just as tough as #1. There are no gimmie teams.

Bynum/Farmar/Sasha/Ariza will all be playing their first real meaninful playoff minutes. Farmar got a little taste last year, put he's going to get his first extended min this year.

Gasol is 0-12 in the playoffs.

I almost forgot, they Lakers need to play much better defense when they Playoff time rolls around!

Having said all that, I feel this team will finish in the top 4 and will get by the first round. Anything is possible after that, but I'd really be surprised if they ran the table.

We still need to get Drew back and see how this teams plays with Kobe/Gasol/Bynum on the floor together. I'm dying to see how Shaq and Suns fit together or if Shaq is even going to be healthy for the playoffs.

For the first time since Shaq/Kobe, this team has a real chance to go deep into the playoffs and thats all we can really ask for.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #19
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
This team has not won a playoff series in a while and except for Kobe and DFish, they don't have players with winnning playoff experience. While they now possess the pieces to do some serious damage in the playoffs, they need to get the experience. As good as this team could be I think the inexperience is going to hurt them.

Add to that they are in a loaded west were #8 will be just as tough as #1. There are no gimmie teams.

Good points but I for one think the experience factor is overrated. All you have to do is look at the Superbowl last weekend for one example. A team with a VERY young and relatively inexperienced QB and team with little playoff experience just beat a 3 time champion and one of the best teams in NFL history.

Also, the west may be loaded, but who is there to worry about? Spurs maybe but they are older and slower than ever and have been looking veary beatable. The Suns arent going to do much with Shaq and that weak 7 man rotation, no real bench. The Mavs look lost most nights and need to make a trade....there are no real scary teams. I give the Lakers at full strength with their deep bench a good a chance as anyone in the league to win a ring, no dominant teams this year.

If anything, the biggest challenge will come from younger teams like the Hornets and the Jazz who have been playing tons better than the Spurs, Suns or Mavs. Then you can really throw playoff experience out the window cause they dont have much either. Lakers still have some veterans who know what it takes, I love their chances.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #20
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13
You explained it better then me
thanks i was dangerously close to going into a catch 22 like roundabout
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #21
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
ok, nevermind. I am stating facts while others are just spouting out crap. Gotta love the internet. If homecourt didnt mean anything, how come only ONE team in NBA history outside of a top 4 seed has won a championship?

Gotta love the trolls who emerge from thier caves who get bugged when somebody doesnt agree with them, YES, love that internet.

You debunked your own facts with your next post by saying the lower seated teams will make the noise over the current higher seeded teams with home court advantage.......
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
DEEP-TRE
I brick open layups

DEEP-TRE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

It is because the lower seeded teams are not as talented as the higher seeded teams. What do the teams need to do to get the home court and the high seed???
They need to WIN GAMES IN THE REGULAR SEASON.

Since NO team gets homecourt advantage in the regular season, they have to earn it... In order to earn it they need to win, in order to win they need to be good..

SO THEY GET HOME COURT BY BEING A BETTER TEAM ALREADY.
SO WHEN THEY ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS THEY HAVE A ADVANTAGE OF BEING BETTER ALREADY. SO THEY BEAT THE LOWER SEEDED TEAMS.
HOME COURT IS GREAT TO HAVE BUT NOT ESSENTIAL.

FOR EXAMPLE: say at seasons end they have the top 4 and the bottom 4 seeds. Say one year they switch and gave the bottom 4 seeds home court just for fun:) The top four seeds would now have to go on the road! I think the top four seeds would and could beat out the bottom four seeds who now have HOME COURT.. and all because the top four teams are better..

SO IN SHORT EVEN IF THEY PLAY IN NEUTRAL SITES THEN THE PERCENTAGE WOULD BE IN FAVOR OF THE TOP SEEDED TEAMS WINNING A SERIES. THE LOWER SEEDED TEAMS ARE ALREADY AT A DISADVANTAGE GOING INTO THE GAME
DEEP-TRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #23
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^ recap: lower seeded teams don't win as much because they suck. if they didn't suck they wouldn't be lower seeded teams... that's why lower seeded teams don't go to the finals, they suck... it has nothing to do with home court, home court advantage is just a byproduct of not sucking
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #24
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm predicting a 2nd round exit.
I just don't think they have the "well-oiled" execution, consistent offensive discipline (to stay within the offense), and, most obviously, consistent outstanding defense.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM   #25
FashionIssues
Smooth Operator

FashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterFashionIssues is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

the WCF is not a ridiculous thought. they are in a position to end up in the upper seedings. they are not going to see teams presented to them in the previous 1st rounds. the lakers are more than capable of winning 2 rounds with a healthy, complete roster. experience is meaningless when you are healthy and playing dedicated basketball. these guys have been to the playoffs, that is all they need. the added gasol has been there and can play in elite pressure. his presence will be helpful for the young and untested bynum. the pieces are there to go further.
FashionIssues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #26
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

In the playoff Pau present will take much pressure off of Bynum with this said look for Bynum to have a big impact in the playoff. I think lakers can win it all this year if healthy.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #27
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

I like the "IFS" also! I think IF this, and IF that, the Lakers could actually pull the whole thing off. IF Bynum is healthy; IF Gasol is healthy; IF Ariza is healthy; and IF the team is geling at the right time .... then the sky's the limit. This team is, or will be, awesome......That is IF we can get everybody healthy and on the same page. I currently don't see any team in the NBA that can or will be able to match up with the Lakers.....Maybe after some trades my thoughts will change, but for right now, nobody!!
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
sdavis1781
I airball my layups

sdavis1781 has an OK reputation so far

I say Lakers dont get past the second round. They might not get out of the first if the play spurs. Spurs are a smart team and hard to beat in a series..
sdavis1781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #29
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis1781
I say Lakers dont get past the second round. They might not get out of the first if the play spurs. Spurs are a smart team and hard to beat in a series..

The same Spurs team that just lost to Boston today without KG? Seriously, the West is soooo wide open this year. Mavs got hammered by the Nets and the Suns at home almost lost to a bad Wizards team missing Arenas. No one in the West to be scared of really. With a healthy Lakers team and a full bench, they are better than any team in the West. Even with this current lineup they could probably reach the WCF.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #30
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star

Fedor - Laker has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis1781
So all you Laker fans think you're going to win it all every year but really think, how far will this team go? Can they Beat the Spur, Mavs, Suns, Jazz in a 7 game series. They might beat them during the season a few times but can they do it in the playoffs?? How far??
Pau Gasol is still new to the triangle offense and the team..Give him some more time, and a couple more games and the Lakers will be unstoppable. Once Bynum comes back healthy, Gasol will be like Dirk Nowitzki but obviously stronger in the post area. At this rate, Lakers will only rise.

Plus, having Derek Fisher, Lamar Odom, Andrew Bynum, and the Laker's bench will greatly put a lot of stress off of Bryant and Gasol's back.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: