Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 02-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
ChrisKreager
Local High School Star

ChrisKreager has not been impressing people
Default An Isiah Thomas Question

Before Isiah became an embarassment to the NBA because of what he has done with the Knicks,

1. How good was Isiah as a DEE-TROIT Piston?

2. How did the fans and media look at him back in his better times?
ChrisKreager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:21 AM   #2
oldbullsfan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

oldbullsfan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: An Isiah Thomas Question

As a Bull's fan...he wasn't as good as he thought he was and he played a dirty game along with all of the other pistons of that era. But maybe I'm a little prejudiced.
oldbullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Um Isiah Thomas is one of the Greatest Point Guards of All Time…

He was a leader on and off the court and was the driving force for the Pistons through out his time here. He had great desire and heart to win… Watch the 1988 NBA Finals Game 6 3rd quarter to see an example of heart…

As for where he stands here in Detroit… as a player he is held in high regard among other Detroit greats such as Berry Sanders, Gordie Howe, Kirk Gibson, Al Kaline, Joe Louis, and Steve Yzerman.

As an executive however, he had tarnished his image in a dispute with Bill Davidson. He could have been an exec with the Pistons, but burnt bridges with the old man and thusly bolted to Toronto. In hindsight, it was for the best…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

When Isiah was a player he was definately well respected. I think the whole Knicks thing has tarnished him for life though. He was one of those types that even with the CBA thing, he would have still been held in high regards because just like Sonic R said, he is one of the greatest point gaurds of all time. What he did as a player was amazing. But since he has been in NY and has killed the team, it's really killed his image. Right now he's kinda like that chic who was super hot in high school and then when you see her again after college she weighs 300 pounds.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
fleet40

fleet40 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbullsfan
As a Bull's fan...he wasn't as good as he thought he was and he played a dirty game along with all of the other pistons of that era. But maybe I'm a little prejudiced.

Yup, just yesterday the United States Congress dropped the Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens battle, and have joined together with Jordan and Phil Jackson on the Isiah Thomas, Bill Laimbeer case.

They wish to have the Pistons 89', and 90' titles stripped from them, and are also working with the FEDS to have Laimbeer thrown in jail for 5 years. They have stated that the Pistons inflicted too many "boo-boos" to them. And Scotty Pippen has filled charges as well against Laimbeer, stating "he hit me in my head, and I couldn't play... Waaa"
fleet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Rodion

Rodion has an OK reputation so far

Isiah had to reign in his game for the NBA. He could do anything he wanted on the court. Like AI to a lesser degree.
Rodion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #7
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Isiah was bigger back then than AI is now. Most people put Isiah in their top 5 point gaurds of all time. He was the man back then, I don't think there is any hope for him now. Joe D is obviously the one in the Pistons back court that picked up some business sense back then.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Rodion

Rodion has an OK reputation so far

yeah i meant AI is a lesser Isiah
Rodion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
number20

number20 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKreager
1. How good was Isiah as a DEE-TROIT Piston?

You're kidding, right?

Zeke is an NBA legend, one of the many from that time period. He's on that short list of best point guards to ever play the game – typically ranked #3 all-time behind Magic and Big O (some list Stockton ahead of him, which I don’t agree with). Certainly the best little guy to ever play that position. And the competition he played against back then was as good as it gets.

His Pistons were pretty dominant over a 3-year period, and very deep (that ’89 team arguably had a “2nd starting 5”). And their coach was outstanding. Isiah’s Pistons certainly wouldn’t have choked in the playoffs to inferior teams like the Cavs or the Heat as have the Pistons of today (who should thank their stars they play in a conference surrounded by such crap ballclubs).

Here's pretty decent profile (honestly, you can't call yourslef a Piston fan and be completely unacquainted with Isiah Thomas. That's just wrong. He is the greatest Piston of all time).

http://www.nba.com/pistons/history/i...s_profile.html

Like everything else I suppose, you can find Zeke highlights on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1euE...eature=related
number20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: