Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 02-13-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Jordan Pippen Rodman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3243325

illinois fans were right about scumson all along.
Jordan Pippen Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
FireMcFailPlease
Loserville USA

Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

once a cheater always a cheater.
FireMcFailPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

The fact that this man headed an ethics committee is one of the biggest farces in sports history.

As if it already didn't exist- and it did- his recruiting violations place a big 'ol * on their record this season, on Eric Gordon's recruitment, on the recruitment of any other player on Indiana's roster recruited by Samspon, or any 2008 commits.

Kelvin Sampson, to be blunt, is a user. He uses the sport of college basketball for his own gain. He gets what he can out of his players so Kelvin Sampson can win basketball games. He doesn't graduate players. He doesn't prepare them for the NBA. He doesn't follow the rules. And if you think this phone call business is all there is, I guarantee you it's not. What comes out of these alleged major violations, I'm not sure. But I'm eager to find out.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
n_tremain23
Saw a basketball once

I could not think you guys are MORE wrong. Maybe you are right, he did BLATENTLY break the rules, making impermissable phone calls. Ok, yes he did do that. But does that completely tarnish his coaching career? I mean ok, put yourself into his shoes. He just got hired at IU, one of the most storied programs in the NCAA. Ok, and your following Mike Davis who failed miserably to succeed the great Bobby Knight. He pretty much had to leave Oklahoma soon, because of the violations there, and he gets hired to be the "successor" to Bobby Knight at IU. Can you imagine the pressure you would have??? I mean IU wants wins, Big Ten Championships, and National championships. Thats it. And if you don't succeed in delivering them, then you end up like Mike Davis, moving backwards on the coaching ladder. I'm not saying Sampson didn't commit these sanctions, i'm saying his coaching career should not be completely tarnished. I think basketball fans should look at Sampson as a coach who went down as someone who would do ANYTHING to help his program win, including walking that fine line that most Div. 1 coaches do. Just because he stepped too far over, and got caught, doesn't mean he's any worse than the hundreds of coaches who straddle that line and DON'T get caught. I look at Mr. Sampson as a coach that delivers. He came to IU, and delivered an AMAZING recruiting class topped off by Gordon. That's delivering, I don't care how you do it. I respect Kelvin Sampson as one of the best coaches in the NCAA, and certainly one of the top recruiters, he just isn't the smartest at covering up his recruiting trail.
n_tremain23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_tremain23
I could not think you guys are MORE wrong. Maybe you are right, he did BLATENTLY break the rules, making impermissable phone calls. Ok, yes he did do that. But does that completely tarnish his coaching career? I mean ok, put yourself into his shoes. He just got hired at IU, one of the most storied programs in the NCAA. Ok, and your following Mike Davis who failed miserably to succeed the great Bobby Knight. He pretty much had to leave Oklahoma soon, because of the violations there, and he gets hired to be the "successor" to Bobby Knight at IU. Can you imagine the pressure you would have??? I mean IU wants wins, Big Ten Championships, and National championships. Thats it. And if you don't succeed in delivering them, then you end up like Mike Davis, moving backwards on the coaching ladder. I'm not saying Sampson didn't commit these sanctions, i'm saying his coaching career should not be completely tarnished. I think basketball fans should look at Sampson as a coach who went down as someone who would do ANYTHING to help his program win, including walking that fine line that most Div. 1 coaches do. Just because he stepped too far over, and got caught, doesn't mean he's any worse than the hundreds of coaches who straddle that line and DON'T get caught. I look at Mr. Sampson as a coach that delivers. He came to IU, and delivered an AMAZING recruiting class topped off by Gordon. That's delivering, I don't care how you do it. I respect Kelvin Sampson as one of the best coaches in the NCAA, and certainly one of the top recruiters, he just isn't the smartest at covering up his recruiting trail.

That's the problem with this mentality. Breaking the rules and crossing the line to achieve athletic excellence.

Dennis Erickson reminds me of someone like this. He'll leave Arizona St. soon in shambles.

Lloyd Carr stuck to his morals and Michigan was virtually spotless under his direction.

It all depends on what you want: a winning program with a "I don't give a **** what happens mentality IF we win", or a clean program that may not always achieve excellence.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Worst. Post. Ever.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
IlliniFan
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
The entire post is garbage but that portion is just wow.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

At this point, I have to think even most Indiana fans are disgusted by him. Anyone who still has any respect for Kelvin Sampson is a really, really stupid person.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
Jackass18
The Iron Price

You respect a doouchebag who just left a school because of violations he committed there and then quickly committed the same violations at his next school? Do you understand that his actions hurt those programs? Those actions hurt many people who had nothing whatsoever to do with the situation. Pressure is no excuse to cheat. Here's a cliche - if you can't stand the heat, then get the **** out of the kitchen.

Quote:
And if you don't succeed in delivering them, then you end up like Mike Davis, moving backwards on the coaching ladder.

Well, either you:
don't cheat, win and move up the ladder
don't cheat, win some lose some, stay on the same rung
don't cheat, lose and move down the ladder
cheat, win or lose and move down the ladder

Quote:
I look at Mr. Sampson as a coach that delivers.

Delivers what, sanctions to the teams he coaches for?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Delivers what, sanctions to the teams he coaches for?
Ultimately, that's about all he does.

Like I said...the man is a user. He may be a great husband and father for all I know. Don't know, don't care. He may have many friends who will swear he's a terrific human being. Don't know, don't care.

Within the realm of his profession, he has clearly proven himself to be a careless, lawless user who doesn't care if he graduates his players, doesn't care if he prepares them for a professional basketball career, and doesn't care if he plays by the rules.

If you can find it in yourself to defend this guy, you have some serious questions about yourself you need to answer.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

if all he did was make phone calls ... I dont see the big deal.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:36 AM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
if all he did was make phone calls ... I dont see the big deal.
I'll assume you don't follow college hoops that much, because if not you're just flat-out ignorant.

He broke the rules.

There are certain times you can make phone calls and a certain amount of times you can do it. He got busted at Oklahoma for doing it hundreds of times more than you're allowed to do.

And then he got busted again at Indiana for the exact same thing he was already on probation for.

And then lied about it.

That's what's called a "major violation."

If you don't see the big deal in that, then you need to take a look at your own ethical tenets. It isn't simply that he picked up the phone more than he was allowed to, much less that he did so hundreds of times more than allowed or that he DID IT AGAIN AFTER ALREADY BEING BUSTED FOR IT.

Things don't happen in a vacuum. It isn't simply that he made illegal phone calls, and that's that. Doing so gives you an illegal recruiting advantage, which affects the competitive balance of the sport, which ultimately affects millions and millions of dollars.

If you don't like the rules, play another game. No one made Kelvin Sampson be a college basketball coach. If he doesn't want to earn his multi-million dollar salary, he can go teach high school math.

And if you actually understand the situation and still don't understand what the big deal is, I don't even know what to tell you. If you don't understand the situation and just felt like being ignorant, go ahead and stop that whole jibber-jabber at any point.l
Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Jordan Pippen Rodman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Scumson is a terrible coach. let's not get this twisted. his players fail to call out picks for each other (IDKWTI almost lost his head at the Kohl Center because of Ellis failing to notify him of a coming pick). and IU plays NOTHING but 1 on 1 out there. Scumson is a terrible, absolutely God-Awful X's and O's coach.
Jordan Pippen Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #14
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

but cmon.. you got guys getting the jesus-shuttlesworth and bluechips treatment.. whats wrong with phonecalls? coaches should be allowed to call recruits.. even if it is a 100 times.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #15
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

If only Eric Gordon would have went to Illinois. I really like him as a player and feel bad that he will now have allegations thrown at him and have this dark cloud over his head.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: