Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 03:00 PM   #16
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
but cmon.. you got guys getting the jesus-shuttlesworth and bluechips treatment
Those are movies. If you have actual examples of players receiving tens of thousands of dollars and not getting caught, please bring them up.

Why not bring up a ghost helping his former team in Sixth Man? I mean, you've got dead former players altering the outcomes of games, what's the big deal about a few phone calls?

You just don't get it. What you're saying is like saying, "C'mon, you've got Enron executives embezzling hundreds of millions of dollars. What's wrong with robbing a bank for a few thousand?"

Just because there are things that are more wrong- and if you think Indiana isn't dabbling in the illegal benefits department, and that this phone call thing isn't merely the tip of the iceberg, you're crazy- doesn't mean what Sampson did is still wrong itself.

Quote:
coaches should be allowed to call recruits.. even if it is a 100 times.
Or how 'bout 577 extra times, which he did at Oklahoma?

He did that, got probation and was censured by his peers, AND THEN DID THE EXACT SAME THING AT INDIANA, AND THEN LIED ABOUT IT.

What part of this are you okay with, and why? Don't tell me it's because there are worse violations you can commit. That is not a valid argument, which I've hopefully already explained to you sufficiently.

You say coaches should be allowed to call recruits. They are. Are you implying that they should be allowed to call them whenever and as many times as they like? Because then you have round-the-clock harassment of players and a recruiting imbalance.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. There are rules.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Frank Foley
Made that high school varsity squad
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 723
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

How do Illini fans feel about the Sampson news? I would imagine that there'd be a bit of schadenfreude, seeing as how Sampson was one of the major characters in the Gordon controversy. Gordon is likely a one-and-done guy, too. So, with the IU coach disgraced and the main reason for all of these bad feelings (presumably) gone after this season, does this give you guys any sense of closure after the drama of IDKWTI? Or will there still be major dislike for IU in Champaign?

I ask this because the handful of Illini friends that I have, only really started to hate IU this past year, after Gordon-gate. Prior to 2006, it was mostly "Muck Fichigan" this and "Screw Northwestern" that. Is that accurate, or is IU a legitimately hated rival?
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 PM   #18
Jordan Pippen Rodman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
 
Jordan Pippen Rodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 279
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Indiana is a border state thus a natural rival. both team's basketball arenas are called "Assembly Hall." there are a million things one can list to ensure the dislike for the Loosiers stays strong in Illinois. Gordon only went to Indiana after Scumson said he would hire one of Eric Gordon's father's friends to his staff. The Gordon family is dirty and so is the Indiana program. Obviously, Sampson has been dirty for years...
Jordan Pippen Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM   #19
BTFU98923
Gonna get Lew-Jacked
 
BTFU98923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 106
Thumbs up Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
If only Eric Gordon would have went to Illinois. I really like him as a player and feel bad that he will now have allegations thrown at him and have this dark cloud over his head.

i don't think gordon will have a cloud over his head really at all for these sanctions. these will solely be placed on the shoulders of sampson and his staff, as well as IU's AD. besides that, buying into sampson's lack of graduating players, gordon will be bolting to the NBA after this year, and he will probably do pretty well there. as a purdue fan, i won't be sad to see him go.
BTFU98923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #20
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFU98923
i don't think gordon will have a cloud over his head really at all for these sanctions. these will solely be placed on the shoulders of sampson and his staff, as well as IU's AD. besides that, buying into sampson's lack of graduating players, gordon will be bolting to the NBA after this year, and he will probably do pretty well there. as a purdue fan, i won't be sad to see him go.
I disagree that he won't have a cloud over his head. If you don't think he and his family were a party to some manner of illegal recruiting, you're being naive. Whether or not it becomes part of these particular sanctions, that entire recruitment reeked of underhandedness. I mean, one of the assistants he hired specifically to get Gordon is part of these violations.

So, Kelvin....was it worth it?

As an Illinois fan, in retrospect I'm glad the Gordon family never became apart of our program. While our season has gone to hell, I think we dodged a bullet by not becoming affiliated with those scumbags.

I think it's clear in retrospect that Indiana hired Samscum because he convinced those hypocrites that he could pry Gordon away from Illinois, and that they believed he could get away with breaking the rules in doing it. They took a gamble. Did they win?

You tell me. They got IDKWTI. Good for them. It's fairly clear, whether it comes up specifically or not, that a school that has prided itself on following NCAA rules since 1960 broke those rules to break his commitment.

Considering the sh-tstorm that has taken place, all things considered, I'm glad that Illinois didn't have to deal with Eric Gordon and his family. Even if it tremendously would have helped us this year, it would have hindered Demetri McCamey's development into the next great Illinois big lead guard that he's becoming, following in Frank Williams and Deron Williams' footsteps.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 02-16-2008 at 04:05 AM.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:48 AM   #21
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
How do Illini fans feel about the Sampson news?
Vindicated.

As we always knew we would be.

Quote:
I would imagine that there'd be a bit of schadenfreude, seeing as how Sampson was one of the major characters in the Gordon controversy. Gordon is likely a one-and-done guy, too. So, with the IU coach disgraced and the main reason for all of these bad feelings (presumably) gone after this season, does this give you guys any sense of closure after the drama of IDKWTI?
Yep. No mater what Indiana does the rest of this year, we already have closure.

The fact that our worst team in over two decades still nearly was enough to take down Indiana was enough for me, and the fact that they cheated to get the team they have makes those wins mean nothing. And it still took IDKWTI somehow not being thrown out of the game for taking a swing at Tisdale for them to beat us last week.

Quote:
Or will there still be major dislike for IU in Champaign?
Always.

Always and forever.

To clarify...it never went away. It's just that they were so pathetic under Davis while we were one of college basketball's elite programs during the same time period, the hatred kinda subsided because they weren't really competing with us while we were ruling the Big Ten at that time.

We will always hate Indiana.

Always and forever.

It just took a scumbag like Sampson to turn the heat back up on it.

Quote:
I ask this because the handful of Illini friends that I have, only really started to hate IU this past year, after Gordon-gate. Prior to 2006, it was mostly "Muck Fichigan" this and "Screw Northwestern" that. Is that accurate, or is IU a legitimately hated rival?
Well, I'd have to wonder how old your Illini friends are. I'm only 24 myself, but my dad played football for Illinois so I was endoctrined into Illini fandom from birth. I've hated Indiana and Bob Knight since I was old enough to know what a basketball was (though strangely, my dad doesn't really hate Knight at all).

When it comes to basketball, Illinois doesn't really have a natural rival. We have Mizzou in the annual Braggin' Rights and that's a big rivalry, but Kansas will always be their biggest rival. We have Indiana in Big Ten play, and while they hate us right back, Purdue will always mean more to them.

We have Southern Illinois and DePaul in-state, but neither of those programs' fanbases seem to understand how far beneath Illinois' need-to-know they are. We never play either of those clownbag programs because we have nothing to gain from it, and their silly-ass fanbases never seem to understand that.

So yeah, Indiana is definitely No. 1 on our hit list.

And even though Samscum is out the door soon, he stuck around long enough to revitalize a rivarly that was white-hot when it was Henson v. Knight in the 1980's.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 PM   #22
Frank Foley
Made that high school varsity squad
 
Frank Foley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 723
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Well, I'd have to wonder how old your Illini friends are. I'm only 24 myself, but my dad played football for Illinois so I was endoctrined into Illini fandom from birth. I've hated Indiana and Bob Knight since I was old enough to know what a basketball was (though strangely, my dad doesn't really hate Knight at all).

When it comes to basketball, Illinois doesn't really have a natural rival. We have Mizzou in the annual Braggin' Rights and that's a big rivalry, but Kansas will always be their biggest rival. We have Indiana in Big Ten play, and while they hate us right back, Purdue will always mean more to them.

We have Southern Illinois and DePaul in-state, but neither of those programs' fanbases seem to understand how far beneath Illinois' need-to-know they are. We never play either of those clownbag programs because we have nothing to gain from it, and their silly-ass fanbases never seem to understand that.

So yeah, Indiana is definitely No. 1 on our hit list.

And even though Samscum is out the door soon, he stuck around long enough to revitalize a rivarly that was white-hot when it was Henson v. Knight in the 1980's.

Great post. Very educational.

My Illini friends are in the 20-24 range. Most of them are from Cook County--some are from out-of-state--and none of them were Illini fans before entering Champaign-Urbana. That might explain the discrepancy between their feelings and yours.

I think I was slightly confused about this rivalry thing because I was born and raised in LA. Over there, it's UCLA vs. USC, and everything else is secondary. There are other rivalries (mostly Pac-10 related), but the "Big game" of the basketball/football/baseball/checkers/whatever season is always gonna be UCLA/USC. It's interesting that rivalries between other schools can differ, based on the sport, and that bitter rivalries aren't always two-way streets.

I also noticed that you didn't mention Northwestern as a rival. Apparently there was a bit of controversy when Mike Wilbon (a NW grad) openly rooted for U of I during their Tourney run.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Great post. Very educational.

My Illini friends are in the 20-24 range. Most of them are from Cook County--some are from out-of-state--and none of them were Illini fans before entering Champaign-Urbana. That might explain the discrepancy between their feelings and yours.

I think I was slightly confused about this rivalry thing because I was born and raised in LA. Over there, it's UCLA vs. USC, and everything else is secondary. There are other rivalries (mostly Pac-10 related), but the "Big game" of the basketball/football/baseball/checkers/whatever season is always gonna be UCLA/USC. It's interesting that rivalries between other schools can differ, based on the sport, and that bitter rivalries aren't always two-way streets.

I also noticed that you didn't mention Northwestern as a rival. Apparently there was a bit of controversy when Mike Wilbon (a NW grad) openly rooted for U of I during their Tourney run.
He's a Northwestern grad but he's a Chicago guy, and that rivalry has never really meant enough for there to be any sort of hatred. Although whenever supposed journalists are openly rooting for anyone, even Illinois, it bothers me. I'll always be an Illinois fan no matter where my sportswriting career takes me, but I'll also always keep that to myself if it ever would interfere with journalistic objectivity. Now, say if I'm covering high school sports in Texas or something like that and my favorite college basketball and football team is a school 1,000 miles away and is in no way an issue, that's a different story.

Back on track, I mean...it's Northwestern. The only time I've ever been fired up about Northwestern is when their ********* student section directed racial taunts at Luther Head and one of our team managers a few years ago. It was bad enough that Luther, who's so mild-mannered I'd be surprised if he'd ever been in a fight in his life, nearly went into the stands. Aside from that, I couldn't care less about Northwestern.

Even though they've owned us in football over the last decade or so, that's more or less coming to an end, and they're always terrible in basketball. There's no point of having any sort of animosity in that rivalry. And it is a rivalry, I guess, but when our worst team in 20 years is enough to beat them by 33 points....it's just hard to care that much.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #24
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,071
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Is anyone surprised? Only a matter of time. You got a hint from the Eric Gordon ordeal. I think Illinois fans should STFU about bashing Eric Gordon now.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #25
Jordan Pippen Rodman
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease
 
Jordan Pippen Rodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 279
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Is anyone surprised? Only a matter of time. You got a hint from the Eric Gordon ordeal. I think Illinois fans should STFU about bashing Eric Gordon now.

That doesn't make any sense. now the entire world knows ILLINOIS fans are verified because Eric and his family, as well as Indiana, are DIRTY, DIRTY, DIRTY BIRDS!
Jordan Pippen Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #26
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Is anyone surprised? Only a matter of time. You got a hint from the Eric Gordon ordeal. I think Illinois fans should STFU about bashing Eric Gordon now.
Wait a second, why does it follow that we should drop it when we've been proven right?

And even if Gordon wasn't recruited illegally- and if you believe that, do you also believe that the end of South African apartheid meant the end of racial tensions there?- that isn't the reason why we don't like him and his family. It was the constant lying for months and months leading up to him switching his commitment- after never firmly decommitting and publicly opening his recruitment back up- less than three weeks before signing day. The manner in which the Gordons handled IDKWTI's recruitment was classless.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 PM   #27
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,071
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Hate Eric Gordons parents...not the damn kid. Not sure why that is hard to grasp here. But if it makes you all feel better shytting on the kid, screaming til ur lungs heart, shouting or constantly making it known he is *insert words* then so be it. Seems to get you guys sleep at night.

But nah, no 18yr old can be influenced by his parents. We're all independant thinkers and make adult decisions. You know how many kids make mistakes? Follow bad advice? Lots...I'm sure you two can expose similar instances where you were misguided. Maybe not, doesnt mean others dont.

Never seen a school hate a kid so much as Illinois does Eric Gordon. Let it go.

Move on.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #28
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,073
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

get him outta there b4 my son gets there.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
TheGame414
Decent college freshman
 
TheGame414's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Zookville
Posts: 2,758
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Hate Eric Gordons parents...not the damn kid. Not sure why that is hard to grasp here. But if it makes you all feel better shytting on the kid, screaming til ur lungs heart, shouting or constantly making it known he is *insert words* then so be it. Seems to get you guys sleep at night.

But nah, no 18yr old can be influenced by his parents. We're all independant thinkers and make adult decisions. You know how many kids make mistakes? Follow bad advice? Lots...I'm sure you two can expose similar instances where you were misguided. Maybe not, doesnt mean others dont.

Never seen a school hate a kid so much as Illinois does Eric Gordon. Let it go.

Move on.
If you've never seen a school hate on a kid as much as Illinois fans hate Eric Gordon- and a lot of Illinois fans agree with you, for the record- you should've seen Sean May when UNC played at Indiana three years ago. And he never strung them along. Committed fairly early to UNC and never wavered on it.

For that matter, did you see how Oregon treated Kevin Love a few weeks ago? Way worse than the scene in Champaign. That was ugly. I really didn't think, aside from the idiot that threw stuff, there was anything at the UI/IU game that warranted an apology at all.

Don't act like this is somehow an indictment of Illinois fans. There aren't many fanbases who wouldn't react similarly. It's just that there's never quite been a case like the Gordon recruitment before.

You're right, Gordon's parents deserve more blame than Gordon himself. But he's still responsible for his own actions. If his basketball ability means the Indiana fanbase worships his every move and taunts "Got Gordon?" at Illinois fans, that means he gets the flipside of that coin as well. If he gets that reverence from Indiana, why shouldn't he get the scorn from the people he lied to for months? Maybe his parents did influence him. In fact, I know his dad did. But whether you're 17 or 70, you're still responsible for your actions.

Since he was recruited illegally and immorally by a coach that's about to get fired in part for just that, his brief college career essentially means nothing, he can go on to be a decent, but not great, one-dimensional NBA player and I can more or less forget about his entire existence in a few weeks.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 PM   #30
ChrisKreager
Local High School Star
 
ChrisKreager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,281
Default Re: Breaking News: Indiana faces MAJOR sanctions

It's just freaking phone calls!

You guys are acting like he's was paying his players or something!

LIGHTEN UP!

THEY'RE JUST PHONE CALLS!

There are WAAAY worse coaches that have been in worse situations- Sampson's former Big 12 coaching alum, Dave Bliss, as well as Jim Harrick.

Besides, I bet Indiana will probably cave in, fire him, and bring in a coach with class who will finish at the bottom of the Big 12.

Let's face it- coaches who don't break rules don't exactly means greatness- I can think of a dozen coaches who NEVER got into trouble, yet their teams sucked.
ChrisKreager is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy