Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Default 2008 Draft and Off Season

I know it's early to talk about the draft and the off season, but I'm going to ask this question anyways.

I'm from Ohio, so I don't get to watch many Portland games or hear much about the Blazers, but with the upcoming draft and knowing the overseas players, what is the word on what the Blazers will do this offseason?? With a full roster as of now, and only one expiring what are we expecting...

James Jones is an expiring, do they just let him go, and open up a roster spot? Do they want more expirings for this off season to open up more roster spots??

Kopponen, Fernandez and Freeland, are any going to be brought to the US this off season or ever??

With most likely a mid-late teens draft pick, are they looking for a SF, with Outlaw producing very well, do they stay in the front court with their draft pick?? Maybe a banger, or what are they still missing??

Just looking for some insight, from Blazer fans.
Cavs2007Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2008 Draft and Off Season

Well, first I believe only Fernandez is coming this year.

I hope we keep James Jones. He really spreads the floor for us. The knock on him would be that he is not young, however, he is not old either.

So, with that said we need to make a trade if we are planning on bringing over Fernandez. Simple keeping Jones, Fernandez, and adding at least 1 draft pick puts us at 17 roster spots with 15 available. Therefore, 2 players have to go. I think McRoberts will be expendable, as well as either Sergio or Greene. I personally would love to see Sergio and our draft pick packaged to jump up higher in the draft. Fernandez could possibly take Jack's place on the team, but I would hold off until we are sure Fernandez will pan out. Either way, we need some sort of multiplayer for a single player type trade.

Those are just my thoughts though.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Nygher
Banned

I think Portland needs to keep Sergio until the trade deadline to help Rudy's transition to the NBA. Keeping someone he already has a chemistry with on the club will greatly help him fit into the league and play to his full potential. I think they will think about moving Jack, Greene, McRoberts, Sergio, LaFrentz, Miles and Frye

IMO...they have to resign James Jones. He is the only consistant three point threat as Webster is inconsistant still and Steve Blake is making wide open threes so his percentage is deceiving. Jones also has playoff experience, something that would be very helpful this year and next year. He also knows how to run the break which is good because Portland is becoming a Phoenix type team.

Umm, in the draft I think they might go best player available route. Freeland comes over which will put three very talented seven footers on the roster. I don't think Kopponen will come over just yet but Rudy will be over next season and probably take the spot of a player that will be traded in the draft.

Back to who I think they will move. I said Jack because I think he is at the point as a bench player where you could get a lot for him. Greene and McRoberts for the obvious reason, young and full of potential since they both play great fundamental basketball. Sergio because he is still a hot comodity around the league and you need to cash in on that before people realize that he won't be Steve Nash. LaFrentz and Miles because of their contracts and Frye because his will be ending soon and will also be a hot comodity.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:27 AM   #4
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nygher
Sergio because he is still a hot comodity around the league and you need to cash in on that before people realize that he won't be Steve Nash.

YES! That is what I've been telling people (I got in quite the debate with people on the Trail Blazers website). Sergio's potential doesn't seem as high to me as it does others. People seriously seem to think he will be a Nash quality player, when I see him as a Jason Williams type player... if he is lucky. But while people are still high on his so called "potential", we need to get something more for sure for him or trade him for a draftee that has even more potential. The opposing arguments I hear most is "he is young, give him time," but I see his ceiling as much lower than others see it and if we wait, his trade value will go down.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
Nygher
Banned

LOL People say he is young and give him time. Didn't he play in Europe about as long as Tony Parker did? And I'm sure those same people would make an argument that the Euro leagues are tougher than the NBA.

Yeah...Sergio = next Jason Williams with a worse three point percentage
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: