Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far
Default Rip says he's a better shooter than Kobe

Quote:
"I know for a fact Kobe can't beat me in a shootout, so that's one down," said Hamilton, who at 46.0 percent on the season is well ahead of fellow Pennsylvanian Bryant's 35.4 percent. "I just gotta figure out a way to beat the other guys."
Hamilton also assessed himself as the toughest competitor in the six-man field -- one that also includes defending champion Jason Kapono of Toronto, two-time winner Peja Stojakovic of New Orleans, Cleveland's Daniel Gibson and Phoenix's Steve Nash.

Sorry, that had me laughing my ass off. Hamilton doesn't have to take the kind of bail-out shots Kobe does, which brings down Kobe's percentage. Wide open with no defender (or 2-3 defenders in Kobe's case) I have a hard time believing Rip would do better than Kobe.

That being said, I don't think either Kobe or Rip has a chance against Kopono or Peja if either one's shot is on at all.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Rip says he's a better shooter than Kobe

Rip Hamilton was talking about the 3 point shoot out and he's right. He's a much better 3 point shooter than Kobe and his percentage is significantly higher.

So yeah Im not laughing my ass off unless its in agreement with Rip.

You make it sound as if all of Kobe's threes are contested by 2-3 guys. That rarely happens anymore. He hasn't exactly been a ball hog since last year and his percentage is roughly the same as usual.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

Kobe4MVP has an OK reputation so far

I disagree. Rip doesn't have to face anywhere near the defensive pressure Kobe does, and also rarely shoots by pulling up off the dribble. And yes, Kobe is still often facing 2-3 defenders on those late-shot-clock attempts, and yet he still makes 30% of them. You absolutely cannot go by career or season shooting percentage on this, because they get their shots in very different ways, and Rip doesn't have to take the bail-out 3 pointers that Kobe does.

I've never seen Rip hit the type of shots Kobe does, from the distance Kobe does, or with the type of defenses Kobe faces. When Kobe is wide open he almost never misses, can't say the same for Rip, who is wide open on a lot of his attempts and only makes 40%.

I think the only reason Rip even opened his mouth is because he knows Kobe has a dislocated finger that might keep him out of the competition entirely, so there's a good possibility he's not going to have to eat his words.

Last edited by Kobe4MVP : 02-13-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #4
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Wow in shooting form alone. Rip is a better shooter. Kobe might be able to hit clutch shots. But rip has always been known as a great shooter. Like ray allen, or mike miller, or peja. This is like when jordan was int the three point shoot out. It was just for fun.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Rip has always been kinda compared to Reggie Miller, mostly for his style of play. Rips runs all over the court relentlessly and uses screens very effectively. But the one big thing that people have always pointed out in that comparison (early on) is that Reggie was a much better 3 point shooter (obviously). Rip in his early years basically just shot midrange jump shots. Over the last few years he has really developed his 3 point shot and has become pretty effiecient from behind the arc. So years ago I would say that Kobe4MVP is correct, but Rip has progressed through the years and now you are incorrect. Either way I don't really see either of them winning. Of course people are going to think they are the best at what they are going for. If you go in without thinking that you can pretty much already consider yourself a loser. If somebody goes into a contest thinking they are going to lose to Kobe Bryant, it's more likely it will happen. I would rather see Kobe in the dunk contest.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

your not going to win that argument when rips at 46% Hamilton better this year period at the 3 point shot end of story.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
andredpg
I airball my layups

andredpg has an OK reputation so far

of course 46 % is way better then kobe's
but
kobe was the one that had 12 3s in one game, wasn't he?
look at his % - sometimes it is very high, on the other nights it is very loow. so it depends whether he is "off" or "on". he is not consistent.but when he's "on", in my opinion he's one of the best in the league in 3s.
so i think that there is such possibility that he will win this comptetion,seriously. nevertheless, i will not put my money on him

but there is also another thing - Rip apparently has a problem with Kobe, when they were kids they were playing together, Rip was very close or even maybe he was better.
Now Kobe is few levels above him, no question about it. So i guess Rip is little frustraded here and all he's saying now is "hey looked me - im better shooter then Kobe,at least"
andredpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe will get knocked out in the first round. guaranteed.
I wish Sasha was in the contest.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Ryansrams has an OK reputation so far

I think Rip is probably a better shooter in a 3pt contest because he is a set shooter and Kobe has more of a jumpshot. In games Kobe takes much more difficult shots and Rip is always set-up with open shots with the screens that are set for him. I would call in game action a wash. If there wasn't a time limit in the contest I'm not so sure Rip would beat Kobe, jump shooters seem to struggle in the contest. The fact that this has been made public will definitely bring the competitive fire to another level for Kobe. And when that happens don't ever doubt him even though the odds are against him.
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #10
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I Can see kobe bieng knocked out in the 1st round or
Going all the way. True kobe is not a shooter.
BUT THAT BOY CAN SHOOT.
I'm not sure if people understand the diffrence. Korver is a shooter, Kobe is not, but he can shoot. Iverson is not a shooter, but he can shoot.
Anyway.

There is something wierd about kobe. It is what makes him the best. Of course he is not the best 3 point shooter but he has this wierd drive that gets him on the next level. And thats on every aspect of his game. He is just that good. I have a feeling he will win.(That is if he plays)
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: