Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #31
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Good Movies That Most Don't Know About

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Interstate 60

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165832/

Written and directed by Bob Gale (He wrote the Back To The Future). One of those movies that has so many good actors in it, James Marsden, Gary Oldman, Chris Cooper, Kurt Russell, Christopher Lloyd, Michael J. Fox, Amy Adams. It's about a guy (James Marsden) who is takes a job travelling down a non-existent highway to deliver a package in a non-existent town.
that one's on Netflix streaming, enjoyable movie I was surprised to see so many big named people.

The best way to find good movies noone knows about is to get the foreign ones. Every year there are at least twice as many good foreign movies coming out as USA and that's growing constantly, not because they're better at making them, but because it seems like every country is huge in film now with their own Hollywood.

Here's some really great movies from other countries you might not have seen

Munna Bhai: it's typical funky bollywood with the random singing and stuff but the plot is great. It's about a crime lord who pretends to be a doctor when his parents visit every year because he doesn't want to disappoint his dad. Hilarious movie

Les Miserables of the 20th century: sprawling adaptation by Lelouch about a truck driver in WWII. One of my favorite movies ever.

Together (china): really good family drama about a kid who plays the violin

Amelie: probably the most enjoyable chick flick i've seen

Tampopo: good luck finding this one, really funny Japanese movie about cooking

Lives of others: Great great movie you probably know it already

Goodbye Lenin: Really good German movie about a kid who tries to keep his mom from knowing the USSR is over.

Shaolin Soccer/ Kung Fu Hustle: hilarious kung fu movies

I got lots more where those came from if you want some more recommendations
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #32
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Aldridge Fan has decent reputationAldridge Fan has decent reputation

This is probably my most helpful thread to me. I'm finding out about some good movies on here.
Aldridge Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 AM   #33
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

'Hard Eight' was a good flick.

Also 'The Assassination of Richard Nixon'. It's kind of depressing but Sean Penn does such a good job in it. Oscar worthy performance.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #34
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I think they're obscure, because no one I know (other than my family) knows about them.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #35
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

titanic
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:13 AM   #36
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I think they're obscure, because no one I know (other than my family) knows about them.
Good movies. I know about them because I'm a freak. lol.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #37
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
titanic
The documentary?
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #38
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Narc was a great film that doesn't get a lot of talk.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #39
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
Narc was a great film that doesn't get a lot of talk.
Good director too. I remember before that movie came out, he did the BMW Films. Very talented director.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #40
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hmm, I went through my DVD list to find some more underrated/overlooked movies

Cop Land

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118887/

Staring Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Janeane Garofalo and Robert Patrick. This is probably the best performance I've ever seen from Stallone. He's completely downplays the role, almost to the point where he looks half-asleep, and it works perfectly for the character.

The Man Who Fell to Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074851/

Starring David Bowie. A Sci-fi flick in which an alien (Bowie) comes to Earth to bring back water to his planet which is dying from a drought. He invents a bunch of hi-tech gadets and becomes a billionaire, but soon falls into the pitfalls of greed, drugs and alcohol.

Requiem for a Dream

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/

With Jared Leto, Marlon Wayans, Jennifer Connelly and Ellen Burstyn. I think I was bummed out for a week after seeing this movie. 4 people with various drug addictions chase their idea of the "American Dream".
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #41
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Hmm, I went through my DVD list to find some more underrated/overlooked movies

Cop Land

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118887/

Staring Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Janeane Garofalo and Robert Patrick. This is probably the best performance I've ever seen from Stallone. He's completely downplays the role, almost to the point where he looks half-asleep, and it works perfectly for the character.

The Man Who Fell to Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074851/

Starring David Bowie. A Sci-fi flick in which an alien (Bowie) comes to Earth to bring back water to his planet which is dying from a drought. He invents a bunch of hi-tech gadets and becomes a billionaire, but soon falls into the pitfalls of greed, drugs and alcohol.

Requiem for a Dream

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0180093/

With Jared Leto, Marlon Wayans, Jennifer Connelly and Ellen Burstyn. I think I was bummed out for a week after seeing this movie. 4 people with various drug addictions chase their idea of the "American Dream".

Man. I loved 'Cop Land' and 'Requiem for a Dream'. Both excellent films.

'Cop Land' was just entertaining from beginning to end. Stalone did his best performance in that and had a great cast.

'Requiem' was just visually stunning to me. Great soundtrack too.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:45 AM   #42
lovethetriangle
LAKER FAN FOR LIFE

lovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation herelovethetriangle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldridge Fan
The documentary?

no, kidding.

Copland was a hell of a film.

King of comedy? has anyone seen it? Great film.
lovethetriangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:47 AM   #43
Day La Ghetto
Decent college freshman

Day La Ghetto has an OK reputation so far

Cop land is medicor movie WTF...

Fugitive and U.S marshall are underrated imo
Day La Ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:53 AM   #44
Aldridge Fan
Go Blazers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetriangle
no, kidding.

Copland was a hell of a film.

King of comedy? has anyone seen it? Great film.

Yeah, Copland was just so underrated but very good. It's one of those movies that you can see over and over. Also, you kind of feel sorry for Stallone for some reason. What people don't know is that the same director also did "Walk The Line" and "3:10 To Yuma".
Old 02-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #45
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
I'll give you the basics. It was banned by the government for propaganda issues revealing too much truth about the dirty tricks of the NBA and Cavs Coach Mike Brown.

The main character, Mathius, is a young man who is caught in a world of love and tragedy, as the Cavs extend Mike Brown's contract. He must find his way out of the pentagon prison and into the alkatrask prison of San Francisco to free the one they call Kulka, who apperantly knows all secrets and can help Mathius achieve his ultimate goal, make love to LeBron James.

Mathius goes through various form of abuse as his third person speaking syndrom worses, causing major bloating and pains to occur around his body. He must send letters to his various fallowers around the world, and as you see, he leaves clues in all of the letters, suspiciously signing his name at the end of each letter too.

In the end, Mathius finds the truth about humanity and gets everlasting knoweledge of all things good and holy in this world, while at the same time trying to fight off cancer.

Again, it was banned, but a good movie non the less.
two parts i loved were when he gives mouth to mouth to the parrot that fell in the deep fryer at the KFC, of course you know the bird won't make it but he gets so emotional "fly dam you fly" he shouts at the carcass that refuse to live again

spoiler warning:

and when he finds out it's not cancer but a really bad haircut suffered at the hands of the blind dental assistant at the prison... wow i got teary eyed i'll admit..
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: