Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here
Default Playing dirty?

Is this very likely? Should we worry? I can't believe a coach would say this. I think the international team in olympics going to play dirty since they are not too fond with USA.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2435236.story

"Well, we had a little rule," said Boston Celtics Coach Doc Rivers, "if you put something on your hand or on your body, that was a bull's eye.

"I don't know if that goes on anymore. We actually talk about that. I don't think anyone wants to hurt anyone, but if you're going to go out and play injured, we're not going to let you beat us injured. That was the old-school thought. I think that's still prevalent today, but not as much."

Said New Orleans Hornets Coach Byron Scott, another old-school player and once Bryant's teammate and mentor with the Lakers:

"I don't think they do it now. In our day they would have done it every game until he couldn't probably play, especially if you have an injury like Kobe has, where you have to wear some type of protection; guys would take shots at that all the time.

"But it's a different league now. I don't think it's as physical or as rough, which is probably a good thing as well."
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Playing dirty?

You gotta worry about good defenders looking for any kind of edge on Kobe. People like Bowen and Bell will go after his hand.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here

I would, no doubt...... You are out there competing, guys get elbowed, kicked, whatever. I remeber when PJ Brown had a hand or finger injury he said it seemed like everyone looked for it, and got it! Although since it is hurt, maybe he felt it more, maybe. But I think guys with a reputation will go after it, guys who already "made it". I think the sport is not as physical as before, but it is not a cake walk as some would try to make it seem. but these guys will do whatever to get an edge especially against a guy like Kobe. I actually think the lakers should have kept quiet about the injury because now it is open season on the pinkie.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneel
I would, no doubt...... You are out there competing, guys get elbowed, kicked, whatever. I remeber when PJ Brown had a hand or finger injury he said it seemed like everyone looked for it, and got it! Although since it is hurt, maybe he felt it more, maybe. But I think guys with a reputation will go after it, guys who already "made it". I think the sport is not as physical as before, but it is not a cake walk as some would try to make it seem. but these guys will do whatever to get an edge especially against a guy like Kobe. I actually think the lakers should have kept quiet about the injury because now it is open season on the pinkie.

I think they were openly talking about it because they wanted the league to allow kobe to not be in the all-star game. Unfortunatly it back fired because he was still forced to play AND now the entire league knows the status of his finger.

Players are not as dirty as they once were but I'm sure their are still a handful of them out there that will try to take advantage of kobes injured finger. Is there much risk of injuring an already fully torn ligament in the finger? Or is it more the pain? I think Kappy talked about his daughter and her horrific injury (sorry for all the pain your daughter must have gone through) in the Polls thread. Hopfully its more the pain he has to worrry about
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13
You gotta worry about good defenders looking for any kind of edge on Kobe. People like Bowen and Bell will go after his hand.

I agree, I can definitely see Bowen trying to slap Kobe's hand. I don't think Kobe should look to shoot unless of course he is comfortable with making his shots consistently.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Kappy
Local High School Star

Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I think they were openly talking about it because they wanted the league to allow kobe to not be in the all-star game. Unfortunatly it back fired because he was still forced to play AND now the entire league knows the status of his finger.

Players are not as dirty as they once were but I'm sure their are still a handful of them out there that will try to take advantage of kobes injured finger. Is there much risk of injuring an already fully torn ligament in the finger? Or is it more the pain? I think Kappy talked about his daughter and her horrific injury (sorry for all the pain your daughter must have gone through) in the Polls thread. Hopfully its more the pain he has to worrry about

Thanks ihatetimethomas! Yes, it was a very trying and hard time for my daughter. Devastating, actually (physically and emotionally)! ..... But she did finally make it through it all .... And out came character, and she's much more appreciative now.

Anyway, I would hope that the NBA players wouldn't stoop that low. And I would also hope that any player that is found to intentially re-injure an already injured player, that the league and Stern would look into serious punishment for the offender. They should treat it like a Flagrant Foul since they both show "INTENT TO CAUSE HARM".

Kobe just needs to seriously protect his hand, and do everything possible not to jam or stretch that finger. .... And yes, if he does jam it again, he's going to instantly experience severe excruciating pain.

Last edited by Kappy : 02-19-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #7
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy
Thanks ihatetimethomas! Yes, it was a very trying and hard time for my daughter. Devastating, actually (physically and emotionally)! ..... But she did finally make it through it all .... And out came character, and she's much more appreciative now.

Anyway, I would hope that the NBA players wouldn't stoop that low. And I would also hope that any player that is found to intentially re-injure an already injured player, that the league and Stern would look into serious punishment for the offender. They should treat it like a Flagrant Foul since they both show "INTENT TO CAUSE HARM".

Kobe just needs to seriously protect his hand, and do everything possible not to jam or stretch that finger. .... And yes, if he does jam it again, he's going to instantly experience severe excruciating pain.
Sorry to hear about your daughter.

I think it should be more than Flagrant Foul since it's like intentional and plotting to attack someone with a Red Cross flag on their pinky. Bell and Bowen are the two guys I fear my take a prod at it since D'Antoni and Popovich is so desperate to win now.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
DaRizzle
I brick open layups

DaRizzle has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi

I think it should be more than Flagrant Foul since it's like intentional and plotting to attack someone with a Red Cross flag on their pinky. Bell and Bowen are the two guys I fear my take a prod at it since D'Antoni and Popovich is so desperate to win now.

Totally disagree on it being a flagrant...Flagrant foul for slapping at a hand?!!?...right. Its Kobe's choice to play injured and take all the risks that come with that.
DaRizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRizzle
Totally disagree on it being a flagrant...Flagrant foul for slapping at a hand?!!?...right. Its Kobe's choice to play injured and take all the risks that come with that.

I think he meant if it looked as it was malicious and intentional to re-injure a player. But still, it really wouldnt be possible to determine if anyone was intentionally trying to injure him because it is his hand and hands get hit all the time. There wouldnt be enough evidence to say he was being malicious and had a real intent on re-injuring him.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: