Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Default Social Inequality Case Studies

My group and I are trying to finalize a case study for our Social Inequality in America course at the University of Maryland. The paper our group has to compile is 30 pages as well as a 25 minute presentation.

This project focuses on developing alternative explanations of the phenomenon of the event/case. Extensive research is obv required so it has to be a multifaceted and complex case with underlying social factors that influence inequality.

So....do u fellas have any ideas as to cases that would be a good dissection of these factors. I mean Rodney King and the black Martin kid are kinda trite and have been beaten to death. Then again Emmitt Till popped in my head so that's shows u how little springs to mind.

I just feel like picking a great case is a lot of the battle. Thanx in advance
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Default Re: Social Inequality Case Studies

College sounds miserable.

But can I come to a party sometime?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

It's not so bad. There's dime pieces walking around everywhere and if you're ingenious and charming such as myself it's easy to talk to said dime pieces.

To answer your question, sure, come party. Fine snatch is all over Thurs-Sun. Muh fuggas study hard early week unlike places I've visited like WVU
Old 03-03-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
It's not so bad. There's dime pieces walking around everywhere and if you're ingenious and charming such as myself it's easy to talk to said dime pieces.

To answer your question, sure, come party. Fine snatch is all over Thurs-Sun. Muh fuggas study hard early week unlike places I've visited like WVU
Every person I know that has attended WVU hasn't made it to graduation.
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady

Nice, I'm not charming or ingenious but I will gladly provide company to the dimes 6/7 friends.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Nice, I'm not charming or ingenious but I will gladly provide company to the dimes 6/7 friends.

Well there's them pincushions around for sure too. They also wear tight shit, if ur into that
Old 03-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
ace23

Where do you live Macho Man?
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #8
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
Where do you live Macho Man?

Northern VA, like 15 mins outside DC
Old 03-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

No fascinating social stories that should be shared?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

What a croc of shit project. Sorry lol.

I guess I'll put my .02. Why not be different and pick affirmative action and bring examples how ti was used to balance social inequality but has done the opposite. Would make for a more interesting project than Travon Martin.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #11
Rubio2Gasol
College star

Is it America in general or do you need to limit it to a particular geographical area?

The obvious answer in an American context are the wealth extremes capitalism creates. The desire to reward productivity with excessive income to promote technological development simultaneously leads to a situation where allocative efficiency of certain goods is difficult to achieve.

Education,Health are basic public goods that aren't distributed quite as much as they should be. Technology and Capital goods are given monopolies with excessive patents making them too expensive for general members of the population.

America is a nation focused on exponential increases in total factor productivity - rather than a foundational approach looking to extract all it can out of it's human capital.

You can maybe study immigration trends, they usually occupy low paying jobs and suffer from exclusion. You can also study how income inequality engenders ethnic tensions, crime and poverty.

Why I ask about the geography of the matter is that social inequality often decreases as you move outwards from urban centres. So studying inequality in America needs to be geographically graded because location determines the existence and availability of social infrastructure, the price of goods and services, and the interaction with varying degrees of wealth (if you are detached from excessive wealth your perception of inequality and oppression is decreased).

Last edited by Rubio2Gasol : 03-05-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: