Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-07-2006, 03:59 PM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Default Any Ideas for the 15th spot?

With Pavel getting the axe last week, we have one open spot on the 15 man roster. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fill it? Or heard any rumors as to what they are going to do?
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

There's no one left out there good for the Mavericks, except Latrell Sprewell. T-Wolves hate him because he asks for too much money. Now i think he knows what'll happen if he gets too cocky. Mavs should sign Sprewell.

I have another question. When I heard Mavs signed George, on ESPN.com it said George will start if he ends up being beter than francisco elson in the mavs staff's eyes. whats up with that?
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

^^^I don't get it. Francisco Elson? Was he even on the Mavs' radar to sign? I'll take Keith Van Horn for the minimum, Reggie Evans, Jackson Vroman, or some other project.
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
There's no one left out there good for the Mavericks, except Latrell Sprewell. T-Wolves hate him because he asks for too much money. Now i think he knows what'll happen if he gets too cocky. Mavs should sign Sprewell.

I have another question. When I heard Mavs signed George, on ESPN.com it said George will start if he ends up being beter than francisco elson in the mavs staff's eyes. whats up with that?

Unless they work a sign and trade with Van Horn, the Mavs have no way to offer Spreewell anything. MLE was used on George and Buckner.

As far as the George starting comment. The only thing I can thing of is when the Mavs play the Spurs. If they think George can cover Elson. Then Diop covers Timmy. And Dirk covers Bowen. Of course that could be totally wrong.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24

I guess its true when Knoe says that ALL Kobe fans are uninformed idiots.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

IMO, we should get a 4th PG to take the 15th spot.

We only have 3 guys that can play PG, when in the past we had 4 with Quis. With Harris almost guaranteed to miss time, we're only a sprain or tear to JET or AJ from being dangerously thin at the 1.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
bandit21
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I wouldn't mind bringing in Vroman...he's just a scrappy player, mostly rebounds and defense. Decent offensive rebounder, probably a "poor man's" Reggie Evans for a 15th man would be suffice.
bandit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Z, if you take the depth chart as below. I like what you're going with on th 4th pg. But I'd like to go with a combo guard. Someone who could play both spots. Or at least a sg with decent enough handles to bring the ball up in a tough spot. So what players that fit that description are out there? Or what could you sign and trade KVH for that would fill that spot.

STARTERS KEY BENCH MORE BENCH
PG Jason Terry Devin Harris Ant.Johnson
SG Greg Buckner Maurice Ager
SF Josh Howard Jerry Stackhouse Dev.George
PF Dirk Nowitzki Austin Croshere Mensah-Bonsu
C DeSagana Diop Erick Dampier DJ Mbenga

Last edited by Silent Mav : 08-08-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

The way I see it Silent, is that we've got guys that are pretty versatile at the other positions that we can easily mix and match incase of emergency. For example, DGeorge can play the 3 and 4, Stack can play the 2 and 3, Jho the 3 and 4, Dirk the 4 and 5. Heck even our PG's can fill in at the 2 if we're
in a serious bind.

But the entire roster only has 3 guys capable of playing point, with one having a history of injury problems(Harris).

The most ideal situation would to get a combo guard that could play PG and SG, but we'd probably be hard pressed to find someone like that this late in the offseason and with what we have to offer.

I'm not sure if the Mavs are actually looking at getting a 4th PG and my best guess would be that they probably sign KVH to fill out the roster, but it'd be nice if they considered a worst-case scenario sitaution at the 1.

My list of possible 4th string PG's:

Darius Washington-My preference. I like his potential and he'd have time to develop in the DLeague.
Anthony Carter-Best vet PG option left. He's a reliable option and probably can be had for our BYE.
Eddie House-Not really a PG but he's quick and can shoot. I'm sure he can get more PT somewhere else though.
Milt Palacio-The best combo guard available. He's reliable and would be a great insurance policy. But he probably gets more PT elsewhere.
Tony Delk-Not really a PG but he can man the position in a bind.
Darrick Martin-Not a bad veteren option.
Moochie Norris-Decent option if all else fails. I'd love to see the hair.
Jermaine Jackson-Big combo guard. He sucks though, so its not likely.
Mike Wilks-Eh. OK if we can't get anyone else.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I think Delk is heading overseas. Washington wouldn't be bad. But you already have Ager and Pops that can do d-league time. Unless you rotate the 3 due to "injuries". Not really a fan of House. For what limited minutes he would get, I'd be scared he'd be launching at will as soon as he came in. And the rest is just meh. Which kind of answers the original question. There just isn't much out there in that role.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Pretty much.

I'm just looking at things from a worst-case scenario standpoint, so I think it'd be best to have some insurance back there.

That and I don't want KVH back.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #12
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

I've been saying this on everyone's forums but i think mavericks should be one of the teams who should try to pursue former Wizard 7'3 center Peter Ramos. Crazy rebounder, and has improved since he joined the euroleague.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
wally_world
M0derator

sign Eddie House!!! and get something like this...

PG-Devin Harris, Anthony Johnson
SG-Jason Terry, Greg Buckner, Eddie House (1 for offence, 1 for defence), Ager
SF-Josh Howard,Jerry Stackhouse, Devern George
PF-Dirk Nowitzki, Austin Croshere, Mensah-Bonsu
C-DeSagana Diop, Erick Dampier, DJ Mbenga

too many options... but will do... they the MAVS afterall...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
Milkman

we should get KVH back for the minimum!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 AM   #15
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The Mavs already have 3 centers, why in the world to they need Ramos? KVH will take a cut if he decides to play and not retire. But there is no way he would sign for the minimum. Plus i'd rather have Crosher and Pops out there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: