Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #31
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobedaman24 on 8/10/2006
Dirk CAN play center, but he wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobedaman24 on 8/14/2006
He plays center but not for more than 10 minutes. He would play center in a small lineup

So what exactly were you saying kobedaman?

Last edited by soog : 08-14-2006 at 11:37 AM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #32
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Another Kobe groupie gets owned.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:07 PM   #33
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

I think the way we fill out our final roster spot might tell us the way Avery works the rotation.

With the list Silent provided, if we get a PG for our final spot, I'm guessing our rotation looks like this:

PG: Harris|Johnson|l15th spot
SG: Terry|Buckner|Ager
SF: Howard|Stackhouse|George
PF: Nowitzki|Croshere|Mensau
C: Diop|Dampier|Mbenga

If we take a SF with the final spot, then the rotation probably looks like this:

PG: Terry|Harris|Johnson
SG: Buckner|Stackhouse|Ager
SF: Howard|George|15th spot
PF: Nowitzki|Croshere|Mensau
C: Diop|Dampier|Mbenga
Old 08-15-2006, 02:43 AM   #34
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by soog
So what exactly were you saying kobedaman?
I was saying they should approach a center or decide to give their backups more minutes. That was the whole point of my arguing. Thanks for narrowing it down to one post soog.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 AM   #35
soog
I brick open layups

why would we need to give the back ups more time? I mean i know we have no one of the Kwame Brown level of play, but the first two arent too shabby.

Kwame - 7.4ppg 6.6rpg 0.6bpg
Damp - 5.7ppg 7.8rpg 1.3bpg
Diop - 2.8ppg 4.6rpg 1.8bpg

And remember, Damp was a 13/13 guy when he was on a team as good as the lakers.

Id like for you to name me another team in the league that runs a 3 center rotation. Why would we need another center? You seem to be stuck in the past my friend... yeah for the last 2 decades, the mavs have needed a center. Well that has changed.

I will say I would like to see MBenga get more playing time, purely because I love to see him play not because the mavs need to "approach a center or decide to give their backups more minutes." He is an animal. I see other people get fouls and i get pissed. I see him get fouls and I can't help but laugh. He's my hero.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #36
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

I think you will see MBenga get more playing time this year. I don't believe the Mavs resigned him just to sit on the bench. Hopefully he won't go after every shot and get those fouls you mentioned. He is fun to watch, you have no doubt that he is out there giving it everything he has. It will be interesting to see if he picked up anything at Hakeem's camp. Also to see if Diop has worked on his offense any. Damp averaged 23 mpg last year, Diop 18 mpg. So technically the backup got more time than the starter.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #37
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

I hope Diop improves his free throw shooting.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:51 PM   #38
soog
I brick open layups

I think they will play MBenga more, but I dont think avery will hesitate to put him back on the bench if he doesn't.

This was as much of a "sign him cheap for the upsides" move as it was "lock him up so other teams can't have him" move. I think the mav's will think he's worth the money as long as he's not with the suns or spurs and blocking our shots and regardless of how he actually does this year.

as for his shot, after watching summer league he dose appear to have improved; however, im hoping he wont be nearly as trigger happy as he was in summer league. if so i never want him coming off the bench. 5ft jump hooks good, 15ft catch and shoot jumpers bad
Old 08-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #39
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Quote:
This was as much of a "sign him cheap for the upsides" move as it was "lock him up so other teams can't have him" move. I think the mav's will think he's worth the money as long as he's not with the suns or spurs and blocking our shots and regardless of how he actually does this year.

I really agree with this part and held it out of my last post. Glad to see him stay with the team, but just as glad to keep him away from others. Never help the competition, especially with a big man. He seems to have a decent offensive game around the basket, maybe we'll see if it's any good against NBA talent. Plus, Avery doesn't hesitate to bench anyone if they aren't doing what he wants.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:29 PM   #40
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

I loved seeing Mbenga out there in blowouts. Guy always had energy and was ready to play. His goofy look makes it even better.

I expect more outa him this year though, because if theres an injury to Damp/Diop, he'll be pressed into some serious PT.

Hopefully he picked up a few things from the Dream Camp.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:38 PM   #41
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Mbenga's kind of like the Laker's Ronny Turiaf, getting the boards from wherever he can in his short minutes.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:23 PM   #42
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is considered somewhat coolEric Cartman is considered somewhat cool

For the 15th spot you should sign Jose Juan Barea his a great player and could really help you.
Eric Cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #43
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

He signed for training camp. So he'll get a chance to show what he's got. He grabbed a few people's attention with his performance in summer league. Maybe when camp starts we can have a thread updated each day charting the progress of the 4 guys invited to camp.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #44
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
He signed for training camp. So he'll get a chance to show what he's got. He grabbed a few people's attention with his performance in summer league. Maybe when camp starts we can have a thread updated each day charting the progress of the 4 guys invited to camp.

Sounds like a good idea Silent. It'll be really interesting to see what these guys have to offer.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #45
soog
I brick open layups

yeah i can't make up my mind between teh training camps signees... barea, great little player, little being the key. He's a better passer tahn anyone on the mavs right now; however, will his little stature allow him to remain competitive in teh NBA. Darius Washington, very good well rounded player. He did a little bit of everything in the summer league. He scored some nights, usually led the team in steals, played some point. At this point though I fear he'd disappear on this team kinda like Quis. Ebi, all i got to say is upsides. The two games in his last NBA year were incredible (about 20pts and 8rebs against the spurs), and had solid numbers in the NBDL. Might not be a bad signing to fill in for stack after this year.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: