Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,767
Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Switching Bynum with Gasol is what the Lakers have done until Bynum returns. The difference isnt much but why are people acting like LA is by far the most talented team NOW... Its the same exact team as last year but we switched our shotblokcer and future great center for a more polished borderline all star.

My question is LA more talented now or when they had Bynum?? Is LA a better team now or when they had Bynum?? And why are people acting like they are frontrunners(Bynum recover keeps getting pushed back) when there are teams just as talented all over the West...
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,109
iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

One reason: Odom
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
YAWN
NBA All-star
 
YAWN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,346
YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

if youre talking about last year to this year
smush + kwame + cook are gone. that alone would improve any team. Throw in there an outisde threat in fisher, and all of a sudden very good play from sasha and farmar, and a healthy vlad rad and thats how they are better. Also ariza and turiaf getting a solid 15 foot j.

IF youre talking about from earlier this season to now. the difference between pau gasol and kwame brown is astronomical. its like michael jordan to sedale threat. Like i said earlier..addition by subtraction..and then add in an all star caliber player and the lakers get better.
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,733
ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Another reason no Smush Parker.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!
 
SourGrapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,158
SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

i think with gasol odom has emerged in a way he hadnt with just bynum. when odom is your fourth option you should be talked about in the championship picture. gasol pulls other bigs away from the basket opening up lanes for lamar.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
Sharas
Great college starter
 
Sharas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: B&H
Posts: 3,126
Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

you may think whatever you want about bynum's future potential, but right now, difference between him and gasol is leaps and bounds.

gasol averages nearly 20 and 10 for the career, and can create for himself at the highest level. he's shooting 64% since coming to lakers while scoring 22 ppg. that's essentially the biggest difference, 1v1 post offense. it's really the game changing ability. bynum still hasn't shown ability to dominate the post at the offensive end on consistent, day to day basis.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Fedor - Laker
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,354
Fedor - Laker has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
you may think whatever you want about bynum's future potential, but right now, difference between him and gasol is leaps and bounds.

gasol averages nearly 20 and 10 for the career, and can create for himself at the highest level. he's shooting 64% since coming to lakers while scoring 22 ppg. that's essentially the biggest difference, 1v1 post offense. it's really the game changing ability. bynum still hasn't shown ability to dominate the post at the offensive end on consistent, day to day basis.
QFT....dropping 29 on both Shaq/Amare and 30 on Dwight. Not to mention he can pass the ball.

Gasol is a revelation for the Lakers! An all star who can shoot the ball, create plays for himself, and another player besides Bryant and Fisher who can facilitate the ball and score!

Last edited by Fedor - Laker : 02-24-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Fedor - Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star
 
picc84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wash. D.C.
Posts: 8,676
picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

I like how people thought Smush was good until he left the lakers.

Then he became garbage all of a sudden.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
Loki
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,079
Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Switching Bynum with Gasol is what the Lakers have done until Bynum returns. The difference isnt much but why are people acting like LA is by far the most talented team NOW... Its the same exact team as last year but we switched our shotblokcer and future great center for a more polished borderline all star.

My question is LA more talented now or when they had Bynum?? Is LA a better team now or when they had Bynum?? And why are people acting like they are frontrunners(Bynum recover keeps getting pushed back) when there are teams just as talented all over the West...

The Lakers are easily the most talented team in the league when you factor in overall talent as well as balance of talent.

They have perimeter talent in Kobe (duh; a top 3 player), and 3 PG/combo guards capable of giving you 14-18 points on any given night on ridiculous shooting (Fisher/Farmar/Vujacic average like 43% from deep), and they're all good defenders. They have a 6'10" SF/PF hybrid who can handle the ball and creates numerous matchup problems, and who can put up a 18/10/6 on any given night. They also have a hustling defensive athlete in Ariza.

Interior-wise, they have a 7' tall former all-star 20 pt/10 reb/2 blk/53% FG player in Gasol (who led two 49-50 win teams, mind you). Then they have Bynum, who was the most productive player in the league among players under 35 mpg (and he only averaged 29 mpg). Guy was a 13+/10+/2+ blk/63% FG player in 29 minutes per game and is 20 years old or whatever. Next season he'll be at 18/11/2.5 blk/55% FG minimum if he gets 35 mpg. At his peak (2-3 seasons from now) he'll be a 22/12/3 blk/54% player at a minimum. Then they have an energy guy in Turiaf off the bench who can do a bit of everything offensively and defensively.

Then there's the fact that their bench is one of the 3 deepest and most productive benches in the league.


You can't find a team with that sort of balance of talent both inside/outside as well as offensive AND defensive talent. Phoenix is similarly talented in terms of talent LEVEL, but their talent distribution isn't as good. They only have a good defender at one position (SG). SA has talent, but it's not as well distributed, and they're not as deep...or as young. Boston has talent, but KG isn't really an interior player like Gasol/Bynum are. They're also not as deep as LA.

At a minimum, the Lakers are one of the two most stacked teams in the league when all aspects of talent and balance are considered. I don't see how it can be denied.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
TheHonestTruth
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 907
TheHonestTruth has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

As much as I hate the punk Gasol now, he is still way better than Bynum.
TheHonestTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
Younggrease
Banned
 
Younggrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,767
Younggrease has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
The Lakers are easily the most talented team in the league when you factor in overall talent as well as balance of talent.

They have perimeter talent in Kobe (duh; a top 3 player), and 3 PG/combo guards capable of giving you 14-18 points on any given night on ridiculous shooting (Fisher/Farmar/Vujacic average like 43% from deep), and they're all good defenders. They have a 6'10" SF/PF hybrid who can handle the ball and creates numerous matchup problems, and who can put up a 18/10/6 on any given night. They also have a hustling defensive athlete in Ariza.

Interior-wise, they have a 7' tall former all-star 20 pt/10 reb/2 blk/53% FG player in Gasol (who led two 49-50 win teams, mind you). Then they have Bynum, who was the most productive player in the league among players under 35 mpg (and he only averaged 29 mpg). Guy was a 13+/10+/2+ blk/63% FG player in 29 minutes per game and is 20 years old or whatever. Next season he'll be at 18/11/2.5 blk/55% FG minimum if he gets 35 mpg. At his peak (2-3 seasons from now) he'll be a 22/12/3 blk/54% player at a minimum. Then they have an energy guy in Turiaf off the bench who can do a bit of everything offensively and defensively.

Then there's the fact that their bench is one of the 3 deepest and most productive benches in the league.


You can't find a team with that sort of balance of talent both inside/outside as well as offensive AND defensive talent. Phoenix is similarly talented in terms of talent LEVEL, but their talent distribution isn't as good. They only have a good defender at one position (SG). SA has talent, but it's not as well distributed, and they're not as deep...or as young. Boston has talent, but KG isn't really an interior player like Gasol/Bynum are. They're also not as deep as LA.

At a minimum, the Lakers are one of the two most stacked teams in the league when all aspects of talent and balance are considered. I don't see how it can be denied.

Im talking about right now, Bynum and Gasol have never player a minute together but people are calling the Lakers at this very moment without him the most talented team in the league when there are teams other teams that are just as talented that play better defense.

When Bynum comes back they are imo the best team in the league. But now they right there with a couple of other teams
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:39 PM   #12
don juan de marco
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 545
don juan de marco has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Switching Bynum with Gasol is what the Lakers have done until Bynum returns. The difference isnt much but why are people acting like LA is by far the most talented team NOW... Its the same exact team as last year but we switched our shotblokcer and future great center for a more polished borderline all star.

My question is LA more talented now or when they had Bynum?? Is LA a better team now or when they had Bynum?? And why are people acting like they are frontrunners(Bynum recover keeps getting pushed back) when there are teams just as talented all over the West...

They are obviously better with Gasol, but just getting rid of that Bum@$$ kwame they got wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. now can we get rid of Luke
don juan de marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #13
don juan de marco
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 545
don juan de marco has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
you may think whatever you want about bynum's future potential, but right now, difference between him and gasol is leaps and bounds.

gasol averages nearly 20 and 10 for the career, and can create for himself at the highest level. he's shooting 64% since coming to lakers while scoring 22 ppg. that's essentially the biggest difference, 1v1 post offense. it's really the game changing ability. bynum still hasn't shown ability to dominate the post at the offensive end on consistent, day to day basis.



this guy knows his men!! the lakers play better with Gasol more than they did with bynum. but bynum did have some games were he really impressed me while with Gasol u already expect good things when he plays, bcuz Gasol is the better player
don juan de marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
Vendetta
Banned
 
Vendetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,333
Vendetta has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

Gasol is a better fit as a big for the Lakers than Bynum is because Gasol is a better fit for the triangle and a superior passer who is better at everything else as well.

Bynum coming back = less touches for Gasol = Lakers worse than they currently are.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Kappy
Local High School Star
 
Kappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,031
Kappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat coolKappy is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Switching Bynum with Gasol...

When Bynum does come back, it won't be an "either - or", it will be "BOTH TOGETHER". How can that not be better than "Kwame - Smush"!!!
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy