Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 02-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Default B3's Mock Draft: February Edition

March Madness is coming up pretty soon, and I've got a feeling my current mock will be way off once it is all said and done. However, I will give a feeble attempt. Note that I am getting my draft order from February 18th Mock Draft on http://www.nbadraft.net/. I also use their player profiles to help me out with some of the picks. Once again, if you feel a player will enter this year's draft that I did not put in my mock draft, please tell me. Without further ado, I will begin this mock draft. Enjoy!
  1. Miami Heat- Michael Beasley, SF/PF, Kansas State*... I don't really like this pick, as Miami already has two forwards that I believe are capable of starting in Udonis Haslem and Shawn Marion, though there's always the chance that Marion opts out. If Marion does decide to opt out, then Beasley can come in right away and start at small forward. If he elects to stay with the team, then Beasley could still start at either forward spot, or come off the bench (something I don't think would sit too well with him). I thought about Derrick Rose with this pick, but in my opinion, he lacks the "it factor" that most #1 overall picks would have. He would be a good backcourt mate to Dwyane Wade, but he just doesn't have big-time potential. I could see Miami trading down to grab him.
  2. Minnesota Timberwolves- Brook Lopez, C, Stanford... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRTPptPAic Watch it. Once I saw that both twins admire Tim Duncan, I started comparing the two (Brook-Duncan, not Brook-Robin). Both are 7-0, both have weird free-throw shooting forms, and both are very polished basketball players. If Brook would stay in school another year or two, I think he would really benefit. However, he is already very developed for a Sophomore. He has a nice jumpshot, like Duncan (more of the wing bankshot for him). He's got solid defense and a lot of size, and he is athletic enough to fit in with new-age big men. He's still got some more developing to do, but I think he could be a very good player in a few years. He and Al Jefferson would make a great duo down low.
  3. Seattle Supersonics- Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis*... I've had this pick in a few of my previous mock drafts, as I think Rose would be a good complement to Kevin Durant. He can score off the dribble, he's athletic enough to create mismatches himself, and is a big point guard that could also take his man down low. Rose is versatile enough to also play the two at times, or possibly even guard the two in the NBA. Rose is an athletic specimen, but he still has a few holes that keep him from being a #1 pick, and possibly even a #2 pick. His shot still needs help, and his passing/ball handling need to continue developing. He still needs to continue learning how to play the point guard position, but the sky is the limit for Rose. Rose has the defensive ability as well as athletic ability that make him a very rare draft prospect, which could get him drafted high.
  4. Memphis Grizzlies- DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M*... Jordan is still a very underdeveloped prospect, and I'm hoping that he stays in school for at least another year. Memphis is in a terrible situation right now, and they aren't looking very good down low. They could use a center that will give them hope for the future. I really think that if Jordan plays to his potential, along with Rudy Gay, JCN, Mike Conley Jr., and Darko, Memphis could be a very solid team in the future. It would take a lot of time developing him though. Memphis has a very young team that is still molding together, so he'd be a great fit; throw him in there and let them all develop as a unit, and eventually they should start making strides. They could challenge for the division in the future when San Antonio and Dallas start deteriorating.
  5. New York Knicks- O.J. Mayo, PG/SG, USC*... New York is in a bad situation, and Isaiah's days are numbered. However, New York should be slightly happy, as they are projected to get the fifth pick, which is in the range of one of the most talented players in this draft, O.J. Mayo. Mayo's game has been picked apart too much, IMO. I think he'll be a very good player, averaging at least 20 ppg throughout the course of his career. The main question with him is his position. He isn't like most point guards, as he prefers to score himself, but he is considered undersized for a shooting guard, and can't dominate a defender like LeBron or Kobe could. I see him as a Gilbert Arenas at best, with a chance at him turning out like Stephon Marbury. New York hasn't minded picking up players like him before, so why stop here?
  6. Los Angeles Clippers- Eric Gordon, SG, Indiana*... This may not be the best fit, but Eric Gordon cannot drop past this point. Gordon is a great shooter with athleticism and is very strong for his size. However, he is not the prototypical size that teams look for in a shooting guard. His defense isn't great, and his ball handling still needs improvement. Gordon's niche in the NBA will be a scorer. L.A. might soon be going through a rebuilding phase, and at #6, they get a steal by finding a franchise player right here. He and Al Thornton are both very good scorers, and then Chris Kaman gives size and defense down low. That's a pretty good core to build a team around.
  7. Charlotte Bobcats- Roy Hibbert, C, Georgetown... This is a terrible spot for Charlotte to be in, IMO. They need another big man, but the best ones available (Kevin Love, Darrell Arthur, Hasheem Thabeet, Roy Hibbert) are either slow or not yet ready to compete. With this pick, I decided to have them draft the most ready player, which would be Roy Hibbert. Hibbert is slow, but he can at least give Charlotte some kind of contribution, whereas with the others they would have to wait for quite some time. I'm looking for another big man to emerge in March Madness. Okay, monthh, start ripping me on this one.
  8. Milwaukee Bucks- Russell Westbrook, PG/SG, UCLA... Milwaukee has a great core of main players (Yi, Redd, Bogut, Williams), but what I think they need now is players that can come off the bench and impact the game. Westbrook is a guy that would go bananas for Milwaukee, creating turnovers and getting to the other end of the court for the score. He's a high-energy guy, and that's what they need more of. They may not half a high-tempo offense, but that doesn't mean he still can't be effective.
  9. Indiana Pacers- Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona*... Bayless goes here more because he slipped than anything. He's a very talented player that could be had around pick 5 or 6, and Indiana gets good value here. He's a quick guard that could speed up the tempo and create transition points along with come highlight set-ups for Danny Granger. A center may be needed more, but none of the available bigs are worth selecting here. If Indiana ends up picking Bayless up, I think they will grow to love the selection in the future. Bayless will bring a bunch of athleticism to the team, as well as a very good jump shot.
  10. Chicago Bulls- Kevin Love, PF/C, UCLA*... Chicago has enough athletic big men, what they need now is a guy that plays beyond his age and can bang down low. Love can do that very well, and is also a quality passer out of the post. He still has a lot of developing to do, but he could still come out right away and contribute with rebounds, assists, and even some points. He adds a lot of depth as well. Gooden, Gray, Thomas, Noah, and Love is a quality rotation.
  11. Phoenix Suns (ATL)- Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas... I think Phoenix will end up trading this pick for a veteran SF to replace Shawn Marion in the offseason, but for now we'll assume they are keeping the pick. Arthur is an athletic big man that fits Phoenix's offense and can develop on the bench while Shaq and Amare get the bulk of the playing time. Arthur can run well, and will fit in with the high-tempo style of play.
  12. Sacramento Kings- Donte Greene, SF/PF, Syracuse*... Greene likely won't drop this far, but I don't see anyone above that needs to take him. Phoenix would probably be interested, but I think they need a future big man next to Amare more than an SF. Sacramento will likely be in the market for a forward once Ron Artest is traded, which I think will happen this offseason. Greene is a good shooter and is a very talented all around player. He would be a good complement on the perimeter to Kevin Martin.
  13. Portland Trailblazers- Darren Collison, PG, UCLA... Portland could use an upgrade at point guard, so why not get another guy from the West Coast to team up with Brandon Roy? Collison is a good defensive player, and is an unselfish point guard that would really help the team. Size is his main issue, but he could still be a solid starter in the NBA.
  14. Houston Rockets- Nicolas Batum, SG/SF, France... Tracy McGrady probably won't be around if Houston doesn't go anywhere in the playoffs, so they'll need a replacement. Batum is a very talented player with lots of potential. He could start in the future, and might be a lot better than can be indicated from where he is drafted at.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Default Re: B3's Mock Draft: February Edition

I'll turn this post into 15-30 at some point.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star

Wow, you have some pretty bold picks. I don't like Lopez going that high at this point. I have been a fan of his, and I think he might be the best center in the draft, but I just can't see him moving up that high right now.

I also don't like the Westbrook pick. I think they would be more likely to take him in the 2nd round. I may be behind the curve on him, but despite how much I like him as a prospect, I just can't see him going that high. I think he would make a great backup, or a decent starter as a Ben Gordon type of player, but I just don't see someone taking a player like that in the top 10.

Besides that, I love Gordon going to the Clippers. Chris Kaman and Al Thorton are a nice start, but neither are go-to players. Gordon would be a good fit because he wouldn't be asked to do anything but score. With a big PG and a well-rounded PF, I think this team could be on its way to respectability again.

Besides that I can see where you are coming from with the rest of the picks, and I can't really say anything about them, except I like the picks and think you did a great job.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Wow, you have some pretty bold picks. I don't like Lopez going that high at this point. I have been a fan of his, and I think he might be the best center in the draft, but I just can't see him moving up that high right now.

I also don't like the Westbrook pick. I think they would be more likely to take him in the 2nd round. I may be behind the curve on him, but despite how much I like him as a prospect, I just can't see him going that high. I think he would make a great backup, or a decent starter as a Ben Gordon type of player, but I just don't see someone taking a player like that in the top 10.

Besides that, I love Gordon going to the Clippers. Chris Kaman and Al Thorton are a nice start, but neither are go-to players. Gordon would be a good fit because he wouldn't be asked to do anything but score. With a big PG and a well-rounded PF, I think this team could be on its way to respectability again.

Besides that I can see where you are coming from with the rest of the picks, and I can't really say anything about them, except I like the picks and think you did a great job.

Thanks. draft.net had westbrook high, so I thought that's where he stood at that point. He will probably rise later, but I'm not sure how good he'll be. Just liked the idea of someone like him coming off the bench and energizing the team. As for Lopez, maybe a trade down could take place. When I saw that video and it said they liked duncan, I thought he could be a poorer man's version of Duncan. I really want to start watching more of him now. I hope he stays in school till hes a senior and then spurs tank in 2010-2011 and then get him.

Bayless made me nervous, but he excited me nonetheless. I could imagine him with a Pacer draft hat on, smiling while hugging mom. Then came the potential highlights that could be had. Just imagine one of the East's best offensive teams adding a weapon like that.

Here's some things that I think will or will not happen on draft day. First, I think Miami will make a move of some sort. Whether that is trading down to get a center or PG, or trading for a veteran, or even letting Shawn Marion opt out, I think something will happen. They will have to decide if they want to win now, which could be a reality if they got some more pieces, or win in the future, in which case they could let Marion go and draft someone to be Wade's sidekick. Next, if Lopez doesn't enter the draft or doesn't improve to the point where the #2 pick could be justified, then Minnesota would have a few choices. 1.) Draft Derrick Rose instead. He wouldn't be a bad pick. He could play PG on offense, letting Foye do his thing at the 2, and then guard the 2 of defense, so that Foye wouldn't get dominated. I'm not sure how good Foye is at D. 2.) They could trade down and then take either DeAndre Jordan or Brook Lopez. I'd take Lopez, since he's the more established player and has less bust potential. 3.) Take a risk and draft one of the C's. This move is probably least likely.

I'm not sure what Derrick Rose would like to do. Maybe he would elect to stay in school and win some games for Callipari. I think he will enter the draft, but staying could be a possibility. If he enters the draft, then he could at least be considered at #1, #2, and #3. I think the jumper needs to improve if he wants to go at the top two spots. He is not yet a #1 option, IMO. In Seattle, he would be a good fit, but just imagine what a duo he and Durant would make if both players reached their potential. They could be a powerhouse in the West. At 4, I think Memphis is a tragedy, and it would be really hard to make them a big competitor. If Jordan busted, then I think they would be pretty screwed without that inside presence.

I, personally, would rather New York go after Derrick Rose or another player with the team concept, but if Mayo's open I have a feeling they won't pass it up.

g2g but more critique tomorrow.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

Westbrook and Lopez are moving up the draft board for sure, but I just don't think Lopez has that kind of potential. Westbrook should be moving up fast, but as a skinny 6-3 combo-guard, he isn't the type of player that moves way up. Some team may fall in love with him, but at this point he is no more of a prospect than Afflalo or Farmer or Collison. They all have/had their flaws. Wesbrook may be more athletic, but he is also smaller than Afflalo. Another year would certianly help him, but if UCLA makes a big run he could get more hype and move up into the top 20 range, and that may be too much for him to pass up.

I really like Bayless. That would be a steal for the Pacers. He will have ups and downs, and won't step right in and be a great player, but the Pacers still have Tinsley and they could let Bayless develop for a year or two under him, and then go from there. I like that pick a lot.

I agree that Miami is kind of a wildcard. Wade is a star, Marion is an all-star caliber player, and Haslem has proven he can be a starter on a championship team. That is a solid core. The problem is that this team won when they had Shaq. I don't know if Wade will be able to carry a team the way he and Shaq did. They need that Shaq kind of player. That is obviously very hard to find. If, however, they feel Beasley could possibly be a 25/10 kind of player, that might be more than they could trade for, and that might also be good enough to let Marion walk or move Haslem to the bench. This team needs to take a chance if they ever want to be more than a boarderline playoff team. They could take the safe route and maybe pick up a Jermaine O'Neal or Ron Artest or Stephon Marbury.

Minnesota is in the rare position where they have too many young players. They had to trade Gerald Green because of it. I would expect them to make a big move on draft night. Maybe move Foye, McCants, or Telfair with their top pick and get a couple of vets. Maybe get Jamison or Deng/Gordon or something.

I think Rose is gone. Calipari seems to be the type of coach that will be real with his players. Rose is going to be a top 5 pick, you can't pass that up, and Calipari will probably tell him just that.

If Thomas is still running the Knicks, he seems to take the guys who aren't so naturally gifted. Or guys that work hard. Lee, Robinson, Chandler, and Balkman are not exactly the pampered type of players that Mayo and Gordon are. I don't think he would take a complete surprise guy like Terrence Williams or Joey Dorsey or anything, but I really would not be at all surprised to see them either trade down or just outright select Kevin Love, or maybe even Hansbrough. Collison is kind of a Thomas type of player as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take a shot on Thabeet either for some reason. No matter what I think they will take a high risk/high reward type of player. A guy that may not be the most talented, but just makes plays.

I actually think the Knicks are more likely to take Mayo if they put some kind of puppet GM in place to try to please the owners. On the surface Mayo is a guy that will come in with a lot of hype, could potentially put people in the seats, and would probably sell a lot of jerseys. I think we both agree that he won't be that great. Maybe a guy that could lead the team in scoring, but I don't see anything more than Michael Redd in a big city. He won't help this team win many more games unless they can add a star player to play with him.

Last edited by monthh : 02-25-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #6
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Yeah, Isaiah certainly does like to think outside of the box on draft day, though that hasn't always been a bad thing. Balkman, Chandler, Lee, etc. will all be solid role players in the league. I would like to see them cut Marbury at the end of the season, and wait for some of their other expiring contracts to run out. I think Eric Gordon or Jerryd Bayless could be a good pick if New York decided to go after a guard that will help them win games. But they would really have to change the attitude of this team before that happens. I think they could turn into a good team, but it would take a while. Getting rid of Marbury would probably take away a lot of tension on the team, and maybe that will help the team focus on winning games. A defensive big man could also go here, and if New York fell a few more spots in the draft I could see them grabbing a guy like Thabeet or Love. But if New York doesn't make some changes in their expectations as well as improve their work ethic, they'll be at the bottom of the barrel for years to come.

Meh, I'm not even going to add 15-30. We'll do that next month once March Madness gives a better idea of who's stock will start rising.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Westbrook pick too high.....Bayless is tough but it'd take he and Rose awhile to do their thing in the league so whoever is drafting them need to be patient. Most if not all of the best NBA pgs played at least 2 years of college ball( Nash, Paul, Williams, billups)... i think Miami could use Brook Lopez, hoping the magic draft hansborough, who could end up like Boozer, a low pick that ends up as a very good power forward
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
monthh
Local High School Star

I agree with you mrhoop, but I think that also applies to most freshman. You may have a Kevin Durant, but you also have a Hawes and Young. That is why I love the Pacers getting Bayless though because they already have Tinsley in place. I think the Sixers with Andre Miller in place would also be a good fit for them.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Looking back on it, I think that you were right about Westbrook. He is definitely not a top ten pick yet, and probably not lottery either. but later in the draft, when teams are just looking for players that can contribute to the rotation, he could be a hot commodity.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Is Darrel Arthur already a senoir? I thought he was a sophmore or Junior...
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

Arthur is only a sophomore.

Westbrook is a really good prospect and I think would fit in perfectly for a team like New Orleans who could bring him off the bench to back up both guard spots and sometimes play with Paul.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Is Darrel Arthur already a senoir? I thought he was a sophmore or Junior...

Sophomore.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #13
dak121
College superstar

The Grizzlies, Bobcats and Bucks will be looking for new GMs in 2 years if that mock proves to be accurate. Jordan won't do anything of note until his 2nd contract at the earliest. He's a mediocre college player. Hibbert isn't a bad player but he and Okafor are too unathletic a combo to really work. And Westbrook would have no chance of beating out Redd/Williams, so why draft a future bench player in the top 10?

And where is Thabeet? I'm not his biggest fan but somebody is going to take him in the top 10.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
And where is Thabeet? I'm not his biggest fan but somebody is going to take him in the top 10.

nah, hell make it 10-20 tops for sure.. 10 to be the least...
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Thabeet will most likely not leave this season, he needs to develop offense. If everyone comes back and with the recruiting class UConn has this year, they will win the national championship next year.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: