Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The 2008 game thread.

yea i'm depressed that we lost, but we did make it close. remember we are still adjusting to our new players and new attitude while the spurs are basically the same team as before but with a nice veteran backup C addition.

yet by the next 25 games or so i say the mavs will be the better team. dunno if i can say that about the spurs.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #2
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The 2008 game thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
yea i'm depressed that we lost, but we did make it close. remember we are still adjusting to our new players and new attitude while the spurs are basically the same team as before but with a nice veteran backup C addition.

yet by the next 25 games or so i say the mavs will be the better team. dunno if i can say that about the spurs.

I think the Mavericks are going to improve a lot as well. Dallas didn't run may/any set plays last night, right? Once J-Kidd learns all of the offense and starts running the plays, That will help the offense. Also, Magloire, Dampier, and Bass I think will do a good job down low against San Antonio in games to come, but hopefully Kurt Thomas could fend off one of them. Good additions by Dallas, and it was a good game last night.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cool, B3. altho one thing i failed to mention is that the spurs know how to peak at the right time. they may not be the best team during the regular season but they know how to be the best team in the playoffs. it remains to be seen if the mavs can do that.

there is also this huge controversy of course about AJ benching kidd for the last half-minute of the game. there is a lot of heat on AJ right now, particularly since he reacted to the kidd trade by saying that kidd was a great closer.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
cool, B3. altho one thing i failed to mention is that the spurs know how to peak at the right time. they may not be the best team during the regular season but they know how to be the best team in the playoffs. it remains to be seen if the mavs can do that.

there is also this huge controversy of course about AJ benching kidd for the last half-minute of the game. there is a lot of heat on AJ right now, particularly since he reacted to the kidd trade by saying that kidd was a great closer.

Anyone know if A.J. got asked why he never put Kidd in near the end? He's gotta be getting hounded right now because of it.

Mavs-Lakers, 2:30 P.M. Central Time tomorrow on ABC. I'm hoping Dallas can win that game and keep San Antonio at #1 at the end of the week.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
Anyone know if A.J. got asked why he never put Kidd in near the end? He's gotta be getting hounded right now because of it.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/home_display.php

scroll down a little to "BLOGFISH - Avery IS Disappointed -- In YOU And Your Poison"
Old 03-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

If you think Avery is getting roasted on the home page there, go look at the discussion boards. As with any message boards, there are some good posts reguarding it, and some just stupid haters.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/home_display.php

scroll down a little to "BLOGFISH - Avery IS Disappointed -- In YOU And Your Poison"

OT, but I checked that site and TMOGE's on there.

Actually, it's kind of lose-lose for the Spurs either way, because one competent team will win no matter what, but I want to get that #1 seed. And the Mavs are growing on me.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
gigantes
A piece of fluff

lol, are you sure you're really a spurs fan?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:58 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
lol, are you sure you're really a spurs fan?

Yeah, why? Is it because I moderate a few other forums other than the Spurs? Living in Iowa, it's kind of hard to find a favorite team, and I"m still somewhat in my baby years as a fan. But I like the Spurs team, and I'll be liking them for years to come. I like some of the young talent we have, and hopefully with some luck we could be a pretty good team after Duncan & Co. leave.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
gigantes
A piece of fluff

AFTER duncan leaves?

no offense, but my head is reeling at this point.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #11
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
AFTER duncan leaves?

no offense, but my head is reeling at this point.

What, you don't think we can be good after Duncan is gone? I think once Duncan's gone, there'll be a couple of years where Tony and Manu keep the team competitive, but nowhere near a championship contender unless something big happens. But I like some of the young guys like Matt Bonner, Ime Udoka, and we've got some young kids that could see some playing time in the future in Ian Mahinmi and Tiago Splitter, who is currently overseas. I believe people once thought very highly of Splitter, so hopefully he can be a good talent from overseas. If he's a solid starter who gets rebounds, scores some inside points, and plays smart, then I'm fine.

Anyway, 2:30 CT on ABC is where it's at, and I'm just gonna watch for enjoyment rather than piss my pants in excitement over who's gonna get another win and challenge for a top seed. Anyone got predictions? I'll say Lakers 104, Mavs 96. Don't take that as disrespect, I just think the Lakers are a better team at the moment. Doesn't mean I don't think the Mavs have a shot at winning.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
What, you don't think we can be good after Duncan is gone? I think once Duncan's gone, there'll be a couple of years where Tony and Manu keep the team competitive, but nowhere near a championship contender unless something big happens. But I like some of the young guys like Matt Bonner, Ime Udoka, and we've got some young kids that could see some playing time in the future in Ian Mahinmi and Tiago Splitter, who is currently overseas. I believe people once thought very highly of Splitter, so hopefully he can be a good talent from overseas. If he's a solid starter who gets rebounds, scores some inside points, and plays smart, then I'm fine.
oh, that sounds reasonable. i thought the implication was that they'd still be winning trophys without duncan, which would seem a bit much to me.

Quote:
Anyway, 2:30 CT on ABC is where it's at, and I'm just gonna watch for enjoyment rather than piss my pants in excitement over who's gonna get another win and challenge for a top seed. Anyone got predictions? I'll say Lakers 104, Mavs 96. Don't take that as disrespect, I just think the Lakers are a better team at the moment. Doesn't mean I don't think the Mavs have a shot at winning.
it's definitely going to be tough. right now the mavs seem to be playing very well but not quite at an elite level yet. hopefully a little more time with the new players and they get there for the playoffs.

so i'll say lakers win in OT. (but i'd be happy to be wrong)
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
gigantes
A piece of fluff

it's neat to see kidd being free to create in the halfcourt, able to weave around the floor until he finds someone open for an easy shot. this reminds me a lot more of how nash plays.

in jersey, carter and jefferson were such good passers that the ball was split a lot more between the various ball-handlers in the half-court, something which could be counterproductive at times.

hmm... i dunno what to think of dirk here (remember i'm a new fan). altho he has a very nice fade shot where he would otherwise get blocked, he also seems to take a lot of leaning, off-balance shots. it's almost like dirk's afraid to take a straight jumper for fear of a hand in his face, but i thought he was such a good shooter that a hand in face shouldn't be such a big deal.

i also remember from last year that he had the ability to drive and post up a little bit... so far i'm seeing very little of that so far. is he banged up these days? ...because i don't see him making much impact in this game.

EDIT: geez, AJ has one of the most annoying voices i've ever heard. he sorta sounds like a gnome with a hernia.

EDIT2: kidd is starting to look a little tired in the 4th. i'm very surprised AJ didn't give him a rest in the 4rd or 4th. dude is almost 35 after all.

Last edited by gigantes : 03-02-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

dirk Nowitzki You Clutch Dog You!!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
gigantes
A piece of fluff

great quarter dirk, but AJ, you just can't play kidd that many minutes. by the 4th quarter, kidd just didn't have the juice left to get past vujacic.

in jersey, kidd didn't have to work this hard because carter could easily do the grunt work of bringing the ball upcourt when necessary.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: