Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM   #16
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The 2008 game thread.

I really wish Dallas would've won because that Bruinlove character is really pissing me off today. Anyway, not great decisionmaking on both parts, but Brandan Bass keeps impressing me. Dampier also played a little to dirty on Kobe for my taste.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #17
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Laker fan chiming in, that Laker/Mavs game was an epic battle of wills between Kobe and Dirk. Both teams shot horribly and those two just kept draining huge shot after huge shot to single handed carry their teams.

I'm still shaking my head about how Dirk got a great 3 look not once but twice with barely any time left in the game and OT.

Dallas dominated the boards in the first half, then the Lakers turned the tables and dominated the second half boards.

Dampier was a friggin monster on the glass and did an excellent job of shutting down Pau.

What more can you ask for? It was one of the best games of the season regardless of who won. If that game was in DAL, the outcome probably would have been different. Two squeakers with SAS and LAL, tough losses.

The only problem I see with Kidd in Dallas for the stretch run and playoffs is his poor shooting and poor defense. The Lakers dared Kidd to shoot all game long and really didn't even attempt to challenge his shots until Sasha harassed the heck out of him in the 4th and overtime. It makes defending him easier if you can go under ever single screen that is set for him and not care if takes a long jumper.

Having said that, they are still in top tier in the west as was proven with games that could have gone either way with SAS and LAL.

It will be fun to watch the west teams jockey for playoff seeding. Really the playoffs have already begun for the western conference playoff teams.

IMO the Spurs are still the team to beat. They are so damn consistant, experienced, and exicute so well. And they are flying under the radar with all the hype the Lakers, Suns, and Mavs have been getting.

The Lakers need to prove they can get out of the first round. They are playing at a high level right now, but the playoffs are going to be a different animal.

It's crazy how NO is getting lost in the western conference race. I think the lack of depth and experience will hurt them in the playoffs, but they are still playing at high level. That CP3 is a stud. His scoring ability is already at a high level for such a young player.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 PM   #18
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

alex, i agree with just about everything you say, except:

The only problem I see with Kidd in Dallas for the stretch run and playoffs is his poor shooting and poor defense.

please.

i admit kidd is lousy at guarding pocket rockets these days, but otherwise he does very good things on defense, such as being a disruptive team defender and being able to take on medium-speed PG's and all other players up to about 6'8" or so. if you watched the game then you should have seen this versatility in play against various lakers. he even did a pretty good job on kobe... or at the very least, as good as anyone else was able to do.

part of the reason he can guard much larger players is because of his tremendous body strength. little-known fact: he was the strongest player on the nets. for example, able to lift 700 pounds with his surgically repaired leg. needless to say, most guys can't do it with both legs. next time you see him, watch him D-up a bigger man and see who pushes who around. the answer might surprise you.

The Lakers dared Kidd to shoot all game long and really didn't even attempt to challenge his shots until Sasha harassed the heck out of him in the 4th and overtime.

the fact is he shot beautifully and was toying with sasha (did you see those spin moves earlier leaving vujacic in the dust?) until he ran out of steam somewhere in the 3rd. i was surprised as hell that AJ didn't give him a long breather the way he did in the first half, and kidd clearly wasn't the same player in the 4th and in the OT.

i mean, c'mon... dude is almost 35 years old and is used in the mavs offense to handle the ball exhaustively. (back with the nets kidd could be played heavier minutes because he has two superior ball handlers to share the rock with, ie vince and RJ)

anyway, as i saw it kidd was mostly useless beginning with the 4th. at that point he spent his energy and time simply getting the ball upcourt against sasha's long, pesky arms. by the time he reached the halfcourt, everyone was waiting around for him and he pretty-much had to hand off the rock with a non-advantageous pass. similarly, his shooting completely dried-up and his defense began slipping.

seems that AJ is a stubborn guy, but one thing i hope he learned: don't overplay a 35-yr old guy who already has such a heavy load of responsibility.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Fair enough I can respect those opinions, you've seen more Kidd games than me. I just know Kidd has had more bad streaks than good streaks in his shooting game this season. He's still an exceptional passer...sick passes (shakes his head)

Age and endurance are good points you bring up too.

Man Utah continues to surprise me, I didn't think they would hang around with the elite teams this long. They are friggin tough at home too!

I have a feeling that every elite team in the west is going to go through a mini slump like DAL and PHX has gone through since every team is going to play a stretch of games against other playoff west teams in quick succession.

That was a tough stretch DAL went through 0-3 and I know they easily could have won the first two, I didn't get a chance to see the one against Utah, looking at the boxscore it looks like they shot lights out and D Williams with 20 dimes???? whoa! Him and CP3 are fun to watch.....when they aren't beating your team!

Kidd shot well in that Utah game....I'm taking notice lol.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 AM   #20
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Fair enough I can respect those opinions, you've seen more Kidd games than me. I just know Kidd has had more bad streaks than good streaks in his shooting game this season.
you pick a legit area to fault him on- his shooting motion is very clunky and mechanical and it disappoints most games (except for big games where it somehow gets better in the 4th).

i read that dirk was working with him on his shooting- that can't be anything but good and it seems to be paying dividends already.

Quote:
Man Utah continues to surprise me, I didn't think they would hang around with the elite teams this long. They are friggin tough at home too!
i'm not an expert or anything, but it seems to me sloan is one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. his teams are often good, yet he consistently gets them to overperform no matter who's in the lineup.

take the AK-47 situation from last year. can you think of any other star player where the situation wouldn't have gone straight down the crapper, requiring a trade this year? and yet the two seem to have mended fences and AK-47 is back to his old form. it's just remarkable to me.

NOTES:

i am very concerned AJ didn't learn his lesson from last game: DON'T OVERPLAY KIDD!

if the mavs don't have a decent backup PG who can handle 15 minutes a game then trading for kidd was a big mistake IMO.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #21
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

It wasn't just Kidd. All 5 starters played almost the whole 4th quarter, and that was right after overtime the day before. 3 or 4 minutes rest for them in shifts to start the 4th would've helped. It was a 6 point game after 3 quarters. Could've given them some rest to start the 4th, if Utah started pulling away, then put them in sooner.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:46 AM   #22
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i am very concerned AJ didn't learn his lesson from last game: DON'T OVERPLAY KIDD!

if the mavs don't have a decent backup PG who can handle 15 minutes a game then trading for kidd was a big mistake IMO.

Lue should solve that problem ;) I can't believe how many servicable players have been bought out and set free this year and joing the arms race between the elite teams this year. It's been the wildest second half I've ever seen with all the transactions AND such a great west conf race!

gigantes, your right every single season Utah plays better than they are and that has to be beacause of Sloan. I don't watch a bunch of their games, but they bring it every night. They execute very well and take care of the rock.

I just looked at the standings....who thought DAL and PHX would be fighting for the 6th spot looking up at NO and HOU a this point in the season???

big showdown next with HOU, who just won their 16th in row today.

After that 5 games they should win.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #23
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The showdown with Houston is going to be without Dirk. Going to need Jet and Josh to step up with good shooting nights. Josh says his back is getting better and he did start going to the basket more the last game and didn't just settle for jumpers. I'm assuming Bass might get the start in place of Dirk, or should get big minutes. He's had success against Houston this year, though it was more against Yao and pulling him away from the basket. Malik Allen should get some burn as the backup pf tonight. With no Yao, and Mutumbo playing limited minutes, this could be a game Damp could have an impact on. Providing he stays out of foul trouble. But Kidd's arrival certainly has helped his game so far.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #24
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

kidd betta get 100 td !!
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:21 PM   #25
gigantes
A piece of fluff

see that?

we nets fans know how to bring scintillating conversation to the table.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:29 AM   #26
gigantes
A piece of fluff

bleh... losing to the yao-less rockets even without dirk = foul taste in mouth.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #27
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I was at the game. Not only did it leave a bad taste but was terrible to watch. I don't know when was the last time I saw such a lack of hustle. And Juwan proved once again he is pretty worthless these days. Though Wright at least got some burn. I wish Avery would give this kid a better look. He's young and athletic with some size. I'd like to see if he could do a better job with perimeter defense than some of the dinosaurs we're trotting out there right now. Jet and Stack can't cover anyone. And I don't know if it's the back or what, but Josh didn't look good once again. Three missed shots on one possession to start the game, sheesh.

And some of you Nets fans have brought some good stuff here. Glad to see it. Even one liners are appreciated, lol.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #28
marla07860
I hit open layups

marla07860 has an OK reputation so far

So next game for Dallas is the Nets, got to say this should be a good. I'll be rooting for the Nets because let me say this I've been a Nets fan my whole life and I am only rooting for Dallas because Kidd is on the team, actually I am only rooting for Dallas when Kidd is on the floor playing. Dallas in the west is the team I hate as much as I hate Boston and I hate that team so much

But if Dallas doesn't win against the Nets, well I'll just say this was a bad trade for them, I don't need to hear that they need to gel anymore, they don't have time, look other teams made trades I don't hear them saying they need time to gel
marla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:39 PM   #29
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Mav
Though Wright at least got some burn. I wish Avery would give this kid a better look. He's young and athletic with some size. I'd like to see if he could do a better job with perimeter defense than some of the dinosaurs we're trotting out there right now. Jet and Stack can't cover anyone.
wright is a good glue player. he does a lot of things decently, like perimeter defense, 3pt shooting, running the break & finishing and generally working hard.

the knock on him is that he doesn't really do anything great and that he lacks confidence at times. but he could be a very good rotation player with a little more time.

of course, he's also plays the most common two positions in the game, so his stock is not very high and i hope his agent doesn't do something foolish when his contract is up this summer.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #30
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Seems like the Suns are saying they still need time to gel. Why would the Spurs need to say that? Thomas was brought in as a backup, not the starting point guard. Even with the Celtics hot start, before the season started they were saying that it was going to take time for their big 3 to gel. The Lakers with Gasol is the exception.

gigantes, it sounds like Wright is just what the Mavs need at sg. Mainly a young perimeter defender. But if he can hit the 3 and get out and run the break with Kidd, that a plus. I'd rather see him than Stack out there. The biggest problem is going to be Avery. Will he give the guy a shot, or keep on throwing the dinosaurs out there.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: