Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Mavs4ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Trust the Kidd

Mavericks 94, Spurs 97

Kidd came out for the last 30 seconds, but said he supported the decision.

"They've been together down the stretch," Kidd said. "I understand what play they're looking for, so I'm over here cheering for my guys to knock down a 2 "

- ESPN

- Bad decision for Avery to benched Kidd, I would definitely trust Kidd's play on this closing seconds.
Mavs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Default Re: Trust the Kidd

judging from the papers, this decision is really blowing up in AJ's face.

almost everyone down there seems to like AJ, but if he were to pull this again it sounds like these people would run him out of town, similar to how knicks fans are doing everything they can to run isiah thomas out of town.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #3
LiL Stevie
Decent college freshman

Jason Kidd > Avery Johnson
LiL Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Avery has a growing list of bad decisions. This is just the latest and most blatant. Besides the obvious stupidity of not playing Kidd ( which ruined a otherwise darn good game for me ). The problem a lot of fans have with Avery is that he will not take responsibility for his actions. His ego won't allow it. Even though many were screaming for his head today, most of them said if he would just say he made a mistake, they could get over it. But instead he tells an interviewer the criticism is coming from poisonous journalism. Just like he threw some players under the bus for the playoff short comings the last couple of years. Not even mentioning the fact that two seasoned coaches out coached him. And they did.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #5
gigantes
A piece of fluff

yet overall AJ is better for this team than nellie, no?

i mean, with the increased attention to defense the mavs reached a level they hadn't achieved under nellie.

or did AJ look especially good in his first couple years because enough of nellie's offensive creativity was still in place to go with AJ's defensive mindset?

in other words, is AJ effectively getting worse as a coach?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Avery inherited a good team. One that would have a good record regardless. But Avery did do some good things to help this team. But instead of changing his system to work with the players he has, he instead tries to change the players. Most good coaches will take advantage of player's strengths.

I wouldn't say he's getting worse. He's still as stubborn and controlling as he always was. The thing is, he's not getting better. Not showing any signs of being able to make in-game, or in-series adjustments. But this is only his 3rd year coaching, he is still learning. I think he still can, he just needs to put his ego aside.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Mavs4ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Man were losing these days, are those teams getting stronger or just the Mavs gotten weaker?
Mavs4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #8
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Your starting 5 is probably the best in the leauge, but the bench is not getting it done...
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs4ever
Man were losing these days, are those teams getting stronger or just the Mavs gotten weaker?

teams are getting stronger for sure. Any of playoff team can loose 3 straight to other west conf playoff teams. Everyone is just that good right now.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #10
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Bass is doing quite well off the bench. Stack when he is the good Stack and not the evil Stack helps. Quality minutes from Lue to give Kidd a break sure won't hurt. And George can contribute in a limited role. Magloire can be a big body with 6 fouls. Noone goes much further than 8 deep in the playoffs. It may not be the best bench, but it's far from the worst.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

I think at this point I believe the trade was ha sworked out even. Niether team is doing very well. Both teams are gonna need more than half a season to acclamate.

I believe this is where the Nets may have the better deal. Harris will have a long time to create an "Identity" for this team in the years to come.

Kidd's time is running out....quick. Mavs are not gonna do it this year. Let's face it. I do not think they will win the title. This is the only thing that will make the Mavs winners in this trade. It's a long shot.

On the other hand. The Nets can hopefully get some playoff experience this year. No one expects them to win the title so there is no pressure.

It's obvious to me that this is all prep work for when Lebron james joins the Brooklyn Nets in 2010. rod Thorn thinks years ahead. This will happen. Mark my words.
RichMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
marla07860
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMo
I think at this point I believe the trade was ha sworked out even. Niether team is doing very well. Both teams are gonna need more than half a season to acclamate.

I believe this is where the Nets may have the better deal. Harris will have a long time to create an "Identity" for this team in the years to come.

Kidd's time is running out....quick. Mavs are not gonna do it this year. Let's face it. I do not think they will win the title. This is the only thing that will make the Mavs winners in this trade. It's a long shot.

On the other hand. The Nets can hopefully get some playoff experience this year. No one expects them to win the title so there is no pressure.

It's obvious to me that this is all prep work for when Lebron james joins the Brooklyn Nets in 2010. rod Thorn thinks years ahead. This will happen. Mark my words.

are you a Mavs fan or Nets fan or both? just wondering. I agree I think the trade is even right now for both teams maybe better for the Nets in the futrue and might be better for Dallas this year or maybe next year depending no one gets hurt. and hopefully your right about getting Lebron James that would be sweet.
marla07860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #13
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by marla07860
are you a Mavs fan or Nets fan or both? just wondering. I agree I think the trade is even right now for both teams maybe better for the Nets in the futrue and might be better for Dallas this year or maybe next year depending no one gets hurt. and hopefully your right about getting Lebron James that would be sweet.
I'm a fan of both the Nets and J-Kidd. Nets come first though always team first. It's a team game. As for Lebron... I saw this coming years ago.

1.) Lebron is tight with Jay Z (Nets part owner)

2.) Lebron is a free agent come 2010.

3.) Nets new (Brooklyn)m arena opens 2010

4.) Lebron is a huge New York fan (Yankees) and New York' being the Mecca of Basketball.

5.) He would make a killing in endorsments in the New York area.

6.) Nets will have a nice group of young guys prepped for him to step in.

7.) Nets will have the money to offer when the time comes.

8.) A brand new state of the art arena in Brooklyn

9.) They are already starting the talk of his nickname "The King Of New York" one of the greatest nicknames ever.

Need I go on?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i agree that it all comes down to whether the mavs can win a title before kidd's window runs out, but i disagree that they don't have what it takes to win one. i don't see the evidence to make such a statement.

my reasoning:

the mavs have been the top or among the very best regular-season teams for... gotta be three or more years now. they proved year before last that they can beat anybody. last year they proved that they can also -lose- to anybody, so the question in my mind is weather they can play up to their capability when it counts. in that sense, kidd has got to be a big help and a reasonable gamble by cuban.

generally, teams don't go all the way right away anyway. usually there are some lessons to be learned along the way that teach them that being the better team is not enough in itself to win the title. but it says here that the mavs are on track now.

i also don't see any good reason why kidd will need half a season to acclimate. being a veteran PG has got to give him a big boost in this area over someone like harris.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #15
RichMo
OL' Schoolin 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
i agree that it all comes down to whether the mavs can win a title before kidd's window runs out, but i disagree that they don't have what it takes to win one. i don't see the evidence to make such a statement.

my reasoning:

the mavs have been the top or among the very best regular-season teams for... gotta be three or more years now. they proved year before last that they can beat anybody. last year they proved that they can also -lose- to anybody, so the question in my mind is weather they can play up to their capability when it counts. in that sense, kidd has got to be a big help and a reasonable gamble by cuban.

generally, teams don't go all the way right away anyway. usually there are some lessons to be learned along the way that teach them that being the better team is not enough in itself to win the title. but it says here that the mavs are on track now.

i also don't see any good reason why kidd will need half a season to acclimate. being a veteran PG has got to give him a big boost in this area over someone like harris.

Here is some evidence.
The regular season means nothing unless you do it in the post season. Second The Mavs were one of the best in the West for the past few Regular seasons. The difference now is that the West has even improved more. You got the Lakers who did not do anything for years. Now the Lakers are considered in the top three. New Orleans is in the mix too. We got a tough Utah team and Golden State that shattered the Mavs last year. Then of course there is the Spurs. I still would not count out Pheonix come playoff time when things become more halfcourt. We also got Red Hot Houston making moves. There has never been so many teams that have been so good in the West.With teams like the Lakers improving so much , The Mavs have dropped a few slots in the best of the West. So there is my evidence.

As for Kidd... You already know I love Kidd but even the greatest point guards need time to adjust. This would be different if it was the begining of the season with some training camp. He will adjust quicker than your average guard but not fast enough to win a ring.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: