Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Arrow Hippos Super Mock Draft

Just to clarify, this is what I would do If I was the GM of every team. I'm not wasting my time pretending I know what they actual GM's will do. I'll leave that to DE.com and NBAD.net.

I’m also not doing any make believe even if say a team like Phoenix has a propensity to trade their picks. I’m just going by the order in the standings with no alterations.

* If you’re really pissed off at one of my selections, maybe you should wait until I explain why I selected who I did in case that answers your question without any of the silliness that will follow your angry response.*

Here's a list of player I don't think will enter the draft at this moment so I can avoid angry posters asking where their favorite player is:

Kyler Singler, Victor Claver, Hasheem Thabeet, Austin Daye, Kevin Love, Maurice Speights, Serge Ibaka, Andrew Ogilvy, JJ Hickson, Russell Westbrook, Gerald Henderson, Wayne Ellington, Jeremy Pargo, Raymar Morgan, Greivis Vasquez, Dominic James, Josh Heytvelt, Mario Chalmers, Jerrel McNeal, Davon Jefferson, Scottie Reynolds.

I will post comments on each pick when I have time. This draft really seems to be one of the strongest in a long time with the emergence of many freshmen.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Hippos Super Mock Draft

1. Miami- Michael Beasley 6’9/235 Kansas State (Freshman)

This a pretty obvious pick. Miami has no big men or point guards. Beasley is better than Rose so he gets the nod here. It puts Marion at the sf position. A nice team to build around with Wade/Marion/Beasley. Haslem can fill in at the c position for now, but a pg and c will need to be had through FA, trades or other drafts.

He can do it all. Backs down his defender quite well for a freshman, great rebounder, has NBA sf range. But he is a pf and nothing else. He can be a little lethargic at time and to really use his skills, he will have to develop his ball handling a bit especially to blow by larger bigs. Good defender already and can effect shots from the weak side as well. Is a decent passer under pressure, but he’s not a playmaker at this point in his career.

Above average athlete. He won’t jump over the athletic NBA big men, but he can hang with all but the super athletes like Bosh, Garnett, etc. He does need to work on lateral quickness against these quicker bigs, but he has the ability and his post defense is quite good already.

Smart player too. Won’t take long for an NBA coach to get him to do things the right way on the court if his head is into it. This year should prove to everyone that it is.

Really about as much of a complete package as you’ll see out of a freshman, but has a high ceiling as well.

scorer: great
shooter: great
post up game: above average
passer: average
ball handler: above average
rebounder: great
perimeter defense: average
post defense: good
weak side defender: good
IQ: good
athleticism: good
quickness: average

Other possible selections: Rose.

2. Minnesota- Derrick Rose 6’3/190 Memphis (Freshman)

The second best player in the draft. Went under the radar a bit, but that has more to do with Memphis also have CDR while Gordon and Mayo don’t. When he’s had to, he’s taken over games as well.

This moves Foye over to the sg position for good. Many people are skeptical of Rose’s pg potential and I am to a certain extent as well. However, out of all the players in the draft, he is the best pg prospect. He has shown the ability to get his teammates the ball through his own penetration and passing IQ. It is quite hard to get an idea of how good of a passer he can be however in the Memphis system. He isn’t forced to be a full time pg, but I don’t believe that has stunted his pg potential and within an NBA system, I believe he will flourish. A backcourt of Rose and Foye is fast, athletic, and while Foye is an undersized guard, Rose is a bigger pg.

Rose has to work on his outside shooting to become very dangerous. He can get by just about anyone off the dribble however, but can shore up his ball handling a little bit to take advantage of his speed and overall skill. A good passer and rebounder for his size. Can win balls and get to places where others can’t due to his athleticism. A decent defender, but nothing a great pro pg won’t be able to exploit at this point in Rose’s career. Has all of the tools to be a great defensive pg though. Can shoot the pull up efficiently as well. Right now though his best move is going all the way to the basket.

He has pretty good IQ and that’s one reason why I feel he can make the transition to full time pg easier than most. He has shown this playing within his system in Memphis as I said before, but that sometimes hides what he can actually do. Don’t be mistaken, this guy is a franchise type player. Is average at working off of the ball right now, but I wouldn’t be saying that if he played within a better system like at G’town. He has the ability to be a great one.

Leadership wise he hasn’t needed to show too much with the way CDR is playing and with vets like Dorsey on the team, but he does seem to have the attribute when called upon. It’s a big part of being a pg and he will ease into being a leader nicely I think.

Needs to be less complacent in the pros, but as I’ve said twice already, I believe that’s more of a system thing.

Rose/Foye/Brewer/Jefferson will be a great lineup for the future and shouldn’t falter like Chicago’s due to better balance.

scorer: very good
shooter: average
passer: good
ball handler: good
penetrator: great
rebounder: good
perimeter defense: good
help defense: good
athleticism: great
quickness: great

Other possible selections: Beasley, Koufos.

3. Memphis- Kosta Koufos 7’/265 Ohio State (Freshman)

This one is an easy pick for me. The pg and sf positions are settled. Mike Miller is a question mark, but him and Navarro stabilize the sg position for the time being. However, Memphis has a gaping hole in the frontcourt. It’s not a good sign when your best big men are Milicic and Warrick. Kofous is the perfect fit for this team. A huge athletic skilled big man. Heck, even if Milicic is still part of the future, he can play pf alongside Kofous. This will be the true centerpiece alongside Gay and Conley.

He can back down his man sporting a nice baby hook, he has range out to the NCAA three point line, he can rebound the ball with good instincts, size and athleticism. He needs be more aggressive on the boards and on offense though.

On defense he will be only guarding centers and he can do this well because of his size and rare mobility. Good weak side defender for his age.

Really the only thing missing in his game right now is the aggressiveness he will need to get to the next level. His game is THAT sound. He’s not a true scorer though, he’s better suited to be the complimentary piece next to Gay.

Really good passer for his size as well, which goes along with me praising his skillset. Think Spencer Hawes from last year but much better because of his better size and light years better athleticism. Can handle the ball pretty well facing up or backing into the defender as well.

Decent IQ at this point. Doesn’t realize how good he is yet.

scorer: good
shooter: very good
passer: good
post defense: good
weak side defender: good
IQ: average
quickness: above average

Other possible selections: Rose, Griffin, Jordan.

4. Seattle- Jerryd Bayless 6’3/200 Arizona (Freshman)

I was torn between choosing a big or a pg here. In the end, I felt the potential Bayless could bring to Seattle alongside Durant and Green was greater than what someone like Jordan could bring. I guess you can say he’s just as much of a pg as Rose is, but Bayless is more along the line of fellow Arizona guard Mike Bibby, but with the ability to be so much more. Plus, Seattle has enough decent big men vets and some young guys they still want to test out I’m sure.

This guy can do it all on offense. Shoot from three, pull up for the mid range jumper, drive all the way (see that dunk last night against USC?). Amazing athleticism.

He has decent playmaking skills and intuition, but he definitely will have to be molded into a true pg. The risk is worth it though because he does have pretty good IQ and mentality to learn. His scoring ability can come in handy too of course as I don’t see too many NBA pg’s being able to slow him down when he’s creating his own shot. That aggressiveness is one thing he has on Rose. I heard last night he’s averaging almost 30 ppg over his last 5. He can flat out score, but this shouldn’t worry people about his pg prospects because Arizona isn’t deep at all and only him and Budinger are legit scoring threats.

He’s not a great defender, but isn’t Steve Nash or Jose Calderon either. A Quick player laterally on defense and offense.

Simply a great ball handler who can control the game. Add that to his natural ability and skill level and you have a ready made replacement for Ridinour and Watson. I don’t see him having any problem fitting in with Durant either because he’ll know who’s taking the shots up in Seattle. Bayless is a natural born leader and he’ll know what is best for his teammates even if it takes some time as he’s less ready to become a true pg than Rose is.

Not a great rebounder for his size even though he has great athleticism, but would be average among NBA pg’s.

scorer: great
shooter: very good
passer: above average
ball handler: very good
penetrator: great
rebounder: average
help defense: average

Other possible selections: Kofous, Jordan, Rose.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 03-01-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

bump

Hippos, what are your feelings on Brook Lopez, i.e. should he stay in school, and and how good of an NBA player do you think he will be?
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

I don't know too much about NCAA ball but is Hibbert really supposed to drop down that far?!
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

I don't know much about college ball, infact, I know little to nothing about it. So I can't really criticize your decisions.

Would Koufos really be a good fit for the Grizz? We definitly need to get a big guy with some kind of talent to play along side Warrick. Darko, Kwame and Collins just isn't good enough, even putting all their talents into one guy wouldn't be good enough. So yeah, our front court is ridiculously weak at the moment and we need to fill that hole up.

Also, we'd need a big guy that can run the floor pretty well since we are a running team, but he'd also have to have a nice post up game, so that we'd have a nice inside threat.

Having a good post passer would be good, we have a lot of guys who can get to the hoop on the team and having a post guy who can get the ball to those cutters would be a great help. Guys like Lowry and Conley would make excellent cutters with a decent passer in the post.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
bump

Hippos, what are your feelings on Brook Lopez, i.e. should he stay in school, and and how good of an NBA player do you think he will be?

I'll go in depth on him when I get to #11. I think one more year could help him work on the fundamentals of his back to the basket game, but he'll learn that in the NBA even better so I really don't see any reason why he should stay other than to build upon his leadership qualities that NBA experts always value out of upper classmen. I think he can be a borderline all-star realistically. Duncan, Dirk, etc. won't be around forever.:)

Quote:
I don't know too much about NCAA ball but is Hibbert really supposed to drop down that far?!

Remember, this is my opinion. Hibbert right now is probably a late lottery pick. Perhaps once the draft workouts are done he'll fall close to where I have him, or maybe a team will take a chance on him and he goes in the top 10, who knows.

Quote:
I don't know much about college ball, infact, I know little to nothing about it. So I can't really criticize your decisions.

Would Koufos really be a good fit for the Grizz? We definitly need to get a big guy with some kind of talent to play along side Warrick. Darko, Kwame and Collins just isn't good enough, even putting all their talents into one guy wouldn't be good enough. So yeah, our front court is ridiculously weak at the moment and we need to fill that hole up.

Also, we'd need a big guy that can run the floor pretty well since we are a running team, but he'd also have to have a nice post up game, so that we'd have a nice inside threat.

Having a good post passer would be good, we have a lot of guys who can get to the hoop on the team and having a post guy who can get the ball to those cutters would be a great help. Guys like Lowry and Conley would make excellent cutters with a decent passer in the post.

Kofous fits that bill pefectly. To be honest, if Beasley wasn't such a sure thing, I'd say Koufos should be the #1 player on Memphis' draft board.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Kofous fits that bill pefectly. To be honest, if Beasley wasn't such a sure thing, I'd say Koufos should be the #1 player on Memphis' draft board.
Hopefully Memphis get a bit of luck this year in the draft and not end up with the 5th or 6th pick like last year.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Too many words. lol

5. New York- Chase Budinger 6’7/203 Arizona (Sophomore)

Skill, athleticism, size, range, high IQ….all of this describes Budinger, but what NY fans should appreciate the most is that they aren’t getting the next Marbury or Robinson in the attitude department. That combination is exactly what NY needs.

He’s a great shooter with NBA three point range, he can jump out of the gym (was a top rated volleyball player in highschool), has nice sf size, but can gain some weight to defend the Artest’s and Pierce’s of the league. Can play inside and out, spot up or drive and pop, but one thing I’d like to see more from him is aggressiveness. He too often plays a secondary role to Bayless, which isn’t a bad idea, but this is the case even when he’s playing better or when Bayless isn’t shooting well. However, if Crawford is part of NY’s long term future, this probably will be a benefit because he’s an unselfish player who has decent playmaking/passing ability.

One other thing he has to work on is his handle. He dribbles to high simply put. He won’t be able to use his quickness and athleticism up to his potential if he defenders can constantly get their hands on the ball.

I can imagine him nailing some threes from Crawford dishes, defenders playing up on him followed by blow bys with him cramming it down on any big man in the league.

I said he has a high IQ and it’s true in that he can play in any system and succeed, however he can pull a VC at times and continue shooting long range shots when they’re not falling instead of not going to the rim. If this is just a passiveness thing again, then I wouldn’t be worried, but some players are just naturally clueless. Basically if he works on being more aggressive, Budinger will be the top sg/sf in the draft and will eventually be an all-star. He’s that sound.

Defensively he’s average at the moment, but his size and quickness give him the ability to improve…just don’t expect it right away. He can be a great weak side defender as well with his quickness and jumping ability. Eventually should be a high steals player.

A fast open court player as well who’s a great finisher. He’d be perfect in Phoenix to be honest, but NY’s personnel suits his style as well. He reminds be sort of like a more athletic, better shooting Caron Butler on offense if he pans out.

Good rebounder as well due to good positional awareness and responsibility as well as aforementioned athleticism.

penetrator: good
IQ: great

Other possible selections: Bayless, Gordon, Gallinari, Collison.

6. Charlotte- Blake Griffin 6’10/240 Oklahoma (Freshman)

This one is easy. Charlotte doesn't have a big man that can create for himself and take pressure off of the guards. Griffin will be able to do that. Has nice range and would be able to handle the ball almost as good as any pf in the league right away. He has unassuming athleticism, but by no means is an athletic monster.

He will open up the game for Okafor as well who hasn't seemed to improve all that much since being drafted. This should give him more easy looks in close as well as give him more rebounding opportunities on offense.

What's great about him is that he's also a hustle player. He brings the energy every night. Totally random fact: Raps fans will, you know how Hump things he can take men off the dribble for some reason, well if he actually could, he'd be Blake Griffin who even looks similar (excluding the fact that Hump can't shoot like Griffin). I won't call him a super rich Hump though because even using the two in the same sentence is an insult.

Anyways...On defense he will have to improve. Not a stopper and not a shot changer. Will basically be an average defender for his entire career, but funnelling players into Okafor isn't a bad idea at all.

Is a decent playmaker simply because he can get to places off the dribble, but isn't natural in this sense at all. He's basically on the team to be the scorer down low and out to 15 feet. That will be how he makes his name and earns his paycheck.

He does have a decent back to the basket game as well. Not afraid to pound as I said earlier, he's a workhorse. Already fluid posting guys up, but needs to add some actual moves to get easy shots, which is the case for most college players.

Can run the floor well and has really come on strong in conference play. I admittedly wasn't too high on him early in the season, but I underestimated his athleticism, and advanced skillset relative to what I originally saw. I do believe he has had knee or leg problems this year, which might be a concern.

In the end, Charlotte won't regret this pick. His attitude fits in with Okafor and he will take so much pressure off of Okafor to score the basket, which will only make Okafor look better. In turn, Okafor will open up Griffin's mid range game, which allows him to use his good speed to blow by players. One case where a player's attitude will definitely show in the productivity of himself and his teammates as it directly translates to his game. Can eventually average something like 16/10/3 alongside Okafor and the scoring guards on the team. If more focus is paid to him, the potential stats could rise.

A good rebounder, but not great. His hustle helps again, but he doesn't have the nack that a player like Beasley, Love or Hendrix has for rebounding. Needs to learn to get better positioning.

shooter: good
passer: average
rebounder: above average
perimeter defense: below average
post defense: average
weak side defender: average
quickness: above average

Other possible selections: Gordon, Jordan, Lopez, Budinger.

7. LA Clippers- Darren Collison 6’1/165 UCLA (Junior)

8. Indiana- Eric Gordon 6’4/215 Indiana (Freshman)

9. Milwaukee- DeAndre Jordan 7’/240 Texas A&M (Freshman)

10. Chicago- OJ Mayo 6’5/200 USC (Freshman)

11. Phoenix (from Atlanta)- Brook Lopez 7’/260 Stanford (Sophomore)

12. Sacramento- Danilo Gallinari 6’9/210 Milan (19)

13. Portland- DJ Augustin 6’/180 Texas (Sophomore)

14. Denver- Darrel Arthur 6’9/225 Kansas (Sophomore)

15. Philadelphia- Donte Green 6’11/225 Syracuse (Freshman)

16. New Jersey- Nicolas Batum 6’8/215 Le Mans (19)

17. Washington- James Harden 6’4/215 Arizona State (Freshman)

18. Cleveland- Ty Lawson 5’11/195 North Carolina (Sophomore)

19. Toronto- Richard Hendrix 6’9/255 Alabama (Junior)

20. Golden State- Tyler Smith 6’7/215 Tennessee (Sophomore)

21. Orlando- DJ White 6’9/250 Indiana (Senior)

22. Houston- Patrick Patterson 6’8/230 Kentucky (Freshman)

23. New Jersey (from Dallas)- Roy Hibbert 7’2/275 Georgetown (Senior)

24. Seattle (from Phoenix)- Ryan Anderson 6’10/240 California (Sophomore)

25. Utah- Joey Dorsey 6’9/265 Memphis (Senior)

26. New Orleans- Anthony Randolph 6’11/220 LSU (Freshman)

27. San Antonio- Terrence Williams 6’6/215 Louisville (Junior)

28. Memphis (from LAL)- DeVon Hardin 6’11/250 California (Senior)

29. Detroit- Bill Walker 6’6/220 Kansas State (rs Freshman)

30. Boston- Courtney Lee 6’5/200 Western Kentucky (Senior)

Last edited by i seen hippos : 03-02-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

I was thinking about this the other day. This draft is loaded with Tweeners. All of the top guards are tweeners. Mayo is a SG with some PG skills, and without the elite physical pop of a pro SG. Gordon is on the small side, and he too seems to lack the extra physical gear, and blow by skill. Bayless is a SG in a PGs body. Rose is a specimen, but not quite big enough to play SG, and isn't refined enough skill wise to play point. Even Beasley is stuck a little between SF and PF (I'm waiting on an official draft measurement on him before I decide weather or not I think he's a real franchise guy, although at this point he's the clear 1).
The two teams this kills are Memphis and Minnie. Both teams are bad, so you'd think they'd have plenty of holes to fill, and they do, but they're already loaded with young tweener types that they allegedly like.
I wasn't really thinking of Koufos, more of Thabeet, who I know you see as not coming out. But Uconn is hot, there defense is and always has been geared toward funnelling toward a rim defender, it's the reason they recruit guys like that that aren't as highly regarded coming out of HS as some of their peers. If they make an elite 8 run, and Thabeet has a couple 5 block games, not really out of the question, he could show up in workouts, measure through the roof, and fly up the board.
I mean, what's Memphis going to do with Bayless if they're stuck at four, with Conley already there. What's Minnie going to do with Gordon or Mayo with Foye, Brewer, McCants, etc. already there. It's not like any of these guys are so fool proof as to not make it worth rolling the dice on a big.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
thenextgreatbigman
Banned

Quote:
Too many words. lol

5. New York- Chase Budinger 6’7/203 Arizona (Sophomore)

Skill, athleticism, size, range, high IQ….all of this describes Budinger, but what NY fans should appreciate the most is that they aren’t getting the next Marbury or Robinson in the attitude department. That combination is exactly what NY needs.

He’s a great shooter with NBA three point range, he can jump out of the gym (was a top rated volleyball player in highschool), has nice sf size, but can gain some weight to defend the Artest’s and Pierce’s of the league. Can play inside and out, spot up or drive and pop, but one thing I’d like to see more from him is aggressiveness. He too often plays a secondary role to Bayless, which isn’t a bad idea, but this is the case even when he’s playing better or when Bayless isn’t shooting well. However, if Crawford is part of NY’s long term future, this probably will be a benefit because he’s an unselfish player who has decent playmaking/passing ability.

One other thing he has to work on is his handle. He dribbles to high simply put. He won’t be able to use his quickness and athleticism up to his potential if he defenders can constantly get their hands on the ball.

I can imagine him nailing some threes from Crawford dishes, defenders playing up on him followed by blow bys with him cramming it down on any big man in the league.

I said he has a high IQ and it’s true in that he can play in any system and succeed, however he can pull a VC at times and continue shooting long range shots when they’re not falling instead of not going to the rim. If this is just a passiveness thing again, then I wouldn’t be worried, but some players are just naturally clueless. Basically if he works on being more aggressive, Budinger will be the top sg/sf in the draft and will eventually be an all-star. He’s that sound.

Defensively he’s average at the moment, but his size and quickness give him the ability to improve…just don’t expect it right away. He can be a great weak side defender as well with his quickness and jumping ability. Eventually should be a high steals player.

A fast open court player as well who’s a great finisher. He’d be perfect in Phoenix to be honest, but NY’s personnel suits his style as well. He reminds be sort of like a more athletic, better shooting Caron Butler on offense if he pans out.

Good rebounder as well due to good positional awareness and responsibility as well as aforementioned athleticism.

penetrator: good
IQ: great
i will shoot myself if the knicks pick budinger.
his athleticism is overrated and he's not that great of a shooter. arizon is not where it should be right now and he's a big part of that.
i can't imagine him every being more than a role player on a good team, the knicks need to draft for a future leader and someone with a bit more potential.

i also don't know about koufos going in the top 5, i was high on him at the start of the season but he's had a few bad games and doesn't hold the weight to come in and contribute.

i didn't see hansbrough on the list of guys you think will stay in school, do you think he'll fall to the 2nd round?
Hansbrough will get even more hype in the tournament, with everyone healthy UNC is number one and they will be there at the end. there's a ton of teams in the 20s that would love to have him right now.

Last edited by thenextgreatbigman : 03-01-2008 at 12:30 PM.
thenextgreatbigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #11
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Hippos are you sure about Beasley being an NBA power forward right away? His wingspan is the same as Vince Carter's, he weighs less than Paul Pierce and he is shorter than Lebron or the same height at best. Seems like he'd be overmatched at powe forward. His post up skills would probably be more effective on small forwards because he'd almost almost always have a size advantage.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
i will shoot myself if the knicks pick budinger.
his athleticism is overrated and he's not that great of a shooter. arizon is not where it should be right now and he's a big part of that.
i can't imagine him every being more than a role player on a good team, the knicks need to draft for a future leader and someone with a bit more potential.

i also don't know about koufos going in the top 5, i was high on him at the start of the season but he's had a few bad games and doesn't hold the weight to come in and contribute.

i didn't see hansbrough on the list of guys you think will stay in school, do you think he'll fall to the 2nd round?
Hansbrough will get even more hype in the tournament, with everyone healthy UNC is number one and they will be there at the end. there's a ton of teams in the 20s that would love to have him right now.

He will as of now be picked somewhere in the 20's...but my opinion of him is a bit lower than that. I mean look at a big like Hardin who I have going 29th. He's much better suited to succeed in the NBA imo. Same with Dorsey who isn't that tall either. He's much more athletic and has the same nack for rebounding. I mean the only reason you should be drafting Hansbrough is for rebounding and I don't think that part of his game translates well to the NBA, thus in my mind making him about as valuable as a second rounder.

By all means I hope I'm wrong because I love to see great college players succeed.

Quote:
Hippos are you sure about Beasley being an NBA power forward right away? His wingspan is the same as Vince Carter's, he weighs less than Paul Pierce and he is shorter than Lebron or the same height at best. Seems like he'd be overmatched at powe forward. His post up skills would probably be more effective on small forwards because he'd almost almost always have a size advantage.

Whereas Durant was too weak and not good enough of a ball handler to do much other than spot up and shoot in the half court, Beasley would be too slow to do much other than spot up and shoot in the half court. He has a great post up game and has pretty good bulk so why pull him away from the basket except for the three here or there.

And you're right Thorpe, this draft could scew a lot of teams if the right player doesn't fall to them. Perhaps we'll see a few trades in the top 10 this year.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 03-01-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Donte Green? Thad Young?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Donte Green? Thad Young?

I thought about that, but he's clearly the best talent available. Drafting based on need isn't wise at this point unless you feel their's a sure fire guy that can fill a need.

Plus, Green is 6'11 and will fill out. It will take some work to get him to play closer to the basket, but he can potentially be a Dirk (of a couple years ago) type pf with more athleticism, but even less willingness to play inside.

I mean you can draft TY Lawson if you want. Waste if you ask me.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Whereas Durant was too weak and not good enough of a ball handler to do much other than spot up and shoot in the half court, Beasley would be too slow to do much other than spot up and shoot in the half court. He has a great post up game and has pretty good bulk so why pull him away from the basket except for the three here or there.

Well he could still post up a lot he would just be matched up with smaller players which would give him a good advantage and make his post game very difficult to defend 1 on 1. If you look at some of the other power forwards who are around the same height as Beasley they all had very long wingspans and were even bulkier than Beasley like Boozer and Brand. Or even David West has a much longer wingspan and equal bulk yet some people questioned is size. I don't see his post game being as effective against NBA power forwards as it would against small forwards.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: