Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default The Official Brook Lopez Thread

How good do you guys think this kid'll be? He's a tall guy, built at about 7' 260 lbs., and he could play either center or power forward in the league. He and his (twin) brother Robin both have Tim Duncan as their favorite players, and Brook does have the measures and some skills that Duncan has. Comparing him to Duncan would be ludicrous, but if he gets the proper teaching, he could probably be a poor man's Duncan and suprise some people in the league.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The Official Brook Lopez Thread

I really like him. I thought he was better than Spencer Hawes last year, and I don't think that has changed at all. He is more ready physically and skill wise, and I think is more athletic and far more solid on the defensive end overall. At first I wasn't too sure on him going in the top 5 because I didn't think he had the upside, but the more I see of him, I think I would probably not only take him over Jordan, but possibly Gordon and Bayless. I think he has moved up to become the #1 center in a pretty good center class and has a legit shot at the top 5.

I also like his brother Robin as well. He obviously isn't as skilled as Brook, but in the 2nd round if you could get a 7-footer who works hard and plays D the way he does, he would be a nice player off the bench. I actually think backing up a guy like Brook would be ideal because he could offer a change of pace and I think could knock a couple guys around and help protect his brother. They could almost start together with Brook at PF.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:19 AM   #3
monthh
Local High School Star

As for the orginal question, I think Brook could be a 16/8/2 guy. Not exactly Yao-like, but in today's NBA a pretty good center. I think he could max out at about 20 and 10, but I just don't see him being that good. The good thing about him is that he is a player that I think could play 32-36 minutes every night.

And while it wasn't part of the original question, I think Robin could be a 8 and 6 kind of player.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:32 AM   #4
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Brook: Stay in school two more years, Spurs can win 2 more champships, then tank and draft you. Just wait, son.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:09 PM   #5
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 2 3 5
Have you seen his last 5 games? The guy would be lucky to crack any 8-man rotation in 5 years.

Dude.... Have you checked his stats for the past 4?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

I am watching Stanford right now and he just cut through the lane to get an out-of-bound alley-oop pass for a dunk at the buzzer. He isn't the most athletic player, but he is at least average for an 7-footer. He certainly isn't Dwight or Bosh or KG, which is a concern for a guy you are drafting that high, but he is above average and I think still has room to expand size wise. Size/athletic ability should not be an issue for him at the next level which is a huge advantage he has over most 7-footers.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Meh, I have cable and they're not even showing that game. How bout that Tyrese Rice boy though. Think he might leave early, monthh? And btw why does month have 2 h's in ur name?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Will Brook Lopez be a better pro than Joakim Noah?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
lowblok
High School Varsity 6th Man

lowblok has an OK reputation so far

Let's see, 7ft twin centre playing for Stanford.......

The Jazz might be interested!!
lowblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #10
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowblok
Let's see, 7ft twin centre playing for Stanford.......

The Jazz might be interested!!

Small chance he goes there unless he's traded for. I think a few expirers, maybe throw in a second round pick or two, and bring a guy out of retirement and you might have yourself a deal with Memphis.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

I honestly can't even remember why I picked monthh, but I know it had to do with some ad for Vince Carter when he was in High School.

I think Rice will probably enter, but he would be smart to not sign an agent. I think the NCAA tournament is where you make your mark, and with all the young guys BC has, they could be a top 25 with Rice next season. I think it is possible that enough people saw this game that will leave a big enough impression on them that he could have moved himself onto the 1st round bubble. If that is the case, I think he should probably take the chance and leave. The one knock people have against him is his size and shooting. I think that while he isn't big, he is a legit 6-0 and is a tough, strong little guy. Shooting is a weakness, but as he proved today, he can hit outside shots. It isn't a stretch to say that with the improvement he has shown each year (numbers really don't do him justice this season with how much he has had to carry this team) that he could be a 40% 3pt shooter next year.

I think Lopez will be considered a better player than Noah just because he scores more. Noah is more of an energy guy whose impact really doesn't show up in the box score. Lopez makes an impact, and his numbers reflect that. Lopez really doesn't do those little things, and doesn't go all out like a Noah or Hansbrough, but he doesn't have to because he has a high skill level and will change the game by scoring, getting the rebounds he is supposed to get, and blocking some shots. What he brings to a team is a high skill set. Noah effects the game by tipping balls, grabbing lose balls, keeping balls alive, getting easy putbacks, working hard on defense, and making plays using his length and quickness. What he brings to a team are the intangables that help the rest of the team.

Basically I look at it like Lopez might score 8 to 10 more points than Noah over the course of their careers, but the amount of offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds he gets when he didn't have position, and the hustle plays he makes to give his team another shot may make up that difference. When comparing these two I really see them being similar in terms of overall presence in the game. I would also like to state that I like Noah more than most people seem to so far. The Bulls really aren't a great fit for him, but I think things could work out better for him now that Wallace is out of town. Hinrich, Deng, Thomas, Noah, Sefolosha, and Nocioni are a great core to build around, they just need to add a couple of big time scores (which is why in my personal opinion they should look to move Gordon, their #1 pick, Duhon, and one of the guys I mentioned before in a deal to land a big time scorer that plays within the team like Hamilton does for Detroit).

If the Jazz were to blow their lead in the division and end up on the outside of the playoff race, I don't think Lopez is so far in the top 10 that he couldn't fall to them. I think it is highly unlikely that either happens, but I wouldn't say it wouldn't be crazy to think they could move up 3 to 5 picks and get him. If they make the playoffs of course they are going to have to move up like 10 picks which is obviously a little bit more tricky.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I honestly can't even remember why I picked monthh, but I know it had to do with some ad for Vince Carter when he was in High School.

I think Rice will probably enter, but he would be smart to not sign an agent. I think the NCAA tournament is where you make your mark, and with all the young guys BC has, they could be a top 25 with Rice next season. I think it is possible that enough people saw this game that will leave a big enough impression on them that he could have moved himself onto the 1st round bubble. If that is the case, I think he should probably take the chance and leave. The one knock people have against him is his size and shooting. I think that while he isn't big, he is a legit 6-0 and is a tough, strong little guy. Shooting is a weakness, but as he proved today, he can hit outside shots. It isn't a stretch to say that with the improvement he has shown each year (numbers really don't do him justice this season with how much he has had to carry this team) that he could be a 40% 3pt shooter next year.

I think Lopez will be considered a better player than Noah just because he scores more. Noah is more of an energy guy whose impact really doesn't show up in the box score. Lopez makes an impact, and his numbers reflect that. Lopez really doesn't do those little things, and doesn't go all out like a Noah or Hansbrough, but he doesn't have to because he has a high skill level and will change the game by scoring, getting the rebounds he is supposed to get, and blocking some shots. What he brings to a team is a high skill set. Noah effects the game by tipping balls, grabbing lose balls, keeping balls alive, getting easy putbacks, working hard on defense, and making plays using his length and quickness. What he brings to a team are the intangables that help the rest of the team.

Basically I look at it like Lopez might score 8 to 10 more points than Noah over the course of their careers, but the amount of offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds he gets when he didn't have position, and the hustle plays he makes to give his team another shot may make up that difference. When comparing these two I really see them being similar in terms of overall presence in the game. I would also like to state that I like Noah more than most people seem to so far. The Bulls really aren't a great fit for him, but I think things could work out better for him now that Wallace is out of town. Hinrich, Deng, Thomas, Noah, Sefolosha, and Nocioni are a great core to build around, they just need to add a couple of big time scores (which is why in my personal opinion they should look to move Gordon, their #1 pick, Duhon, and one of the guys I mentioned before in a deal to land a big time scorer that plays within the team like Hamilton does for Detroit).

If the Jazz were to blow their lead in the division and end up on the outside of the playoff race, I don't think Lopez is so far in the top 10 that he couldn't fall to them. I think it is highly unlikely that either happens, but I wouldn't say it wouldn't be crazy to think they could move up 3 to 5 picks and get him. If they make the playoffs of course they are going to have to move up like 10 picks which is obviously a little bit more tricky.

You're right, Jazz could realistically drop down pretty far if they missed the playoffs. But maybe Memphis would make a trade for some expirers and future picks.:
Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #13
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I am watching Stanford right now and he just cut through the lane to get an out-of-bound alley-oop pass for a dunk at the buzzer. He isn't the most athletic player, but he is at least average for an 7-footer. He certainly isn't Dwight or Bosh or KG, which is a concern for a guy you are drafting that high, but he is above average and I think still has room to expand size wise. Size/athletic ability should not be an issue for him at the next level which is a huge advantage he has over most 7-footers.

Umm that was Robin. Watching Stanford games day in day out, he is fantastic on offense and very skilled. He gets the ball on the low block and can go through the defense for an easy 2. He has such strength that he has been going through double teams all year long and some times shooting over them. His shot has great arc and touch for a 7 footer unlike Robin who throws a lazer. Has a great free throw stroke and has made about 80% during Pac 10 play. He is a good defender but is slow. He doesn't get the tough assignments for the low post players unless Robin is out of the game. If you watched the Washington game he had troubles guarding John Brockman because of his quickness.

He does force things too much like if he doesn't get the ball a few times down the court then he will get the ball and just try and do it all by himself. He does silly fouls out of frusteration. He would be in the player of the year talks if he didn't miss basically all of the non-conference.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
monthh
Local High School Star

Yeah I realized it after they showed the replay. The hair should have given it away the first time.

I agree with all of what you said though. Thanks for the added stuff you wouldn't know unless you saw him all the time. I don't like defense will be a huge concern for him because teams seem to be able to hide defenders a lot of times. He won't be blocking shots like crazy, but he will just have to keep his position, and as you pointed out he is pretty solid and strong. Being in an NBA training program will only make him stronger as well. I see a team making him a traditional center, making him a little bigger, and allowing him to use his natural athletic abilities. He won't ever be Howard and dunking everything in sight, and he won't be Okur taking shots from the outside. He has good post moves and is a legit 7-0. He can stay in the post and score on little baby hooks and spin moves and straight up jump shots all day. If he just holds his position and plays smart on D, he should be a very good player. I think out of all the top center prospects he has the least amount of risk to be a bust, and I think his ceiling is as a high as Jordan or Thabeet, although all 3 are different kinds of players. That is a great combination to be the #1 center taken.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:10 PM   #15
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

Yea we know he isn't all that athletic, you can't compare him to howard he has alot more talent than Brook. He will be an above average center could average 17-7-1 block.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: