Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 03-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
steve

steve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The Official Brook Lopez Thread

The one thing that really bothers me about Lopez is his lack or rebounding, he's not very good right now and things like that usually don't improve once you move on to a higher level. Also, I was reading Sports Illustrated yesterday and he said that his favorite HBO show was Sex in the City, that would make me a little nervous selecting him.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

who cares about the T.V. shows he likes? He does lack rebounding. He doesn't really get good position on players, most of the rebounds he gets are because no one is around or he is just taller than the other player.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #18
steve

steve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat coolsteve is considered somewhat cool

I would've dismissed it if he said something like the Sopranos, Entourage, Deadwood, even Big Love, but Sex in the City just makes me question whether he can actually make it in the league.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #19
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
I would've dismissed it if he said something like the Sopranos, Entourage, Deadwood, even Big Love, but Sex in the City just makes me question whether he can actually make it in the league.

what are you saying? he is soft?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #20
steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsuvtut27
what are you saying? he is soft?
Yes, although I wasn't a big fan of his game before hand. He's a good scorer in college and he's strong but he really has trouble using that strength. Two college big men that I like a bit better than Lopez are Kevin Love and Blake Griffin.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

I haven't seen Stanford that many times, but they seem to have a really solid, big team where everyone can rebound. To me that would keep his rebound numbers down. Don't they have like 6 guys that get over 4rpg? He isn't Hansbrough or Beasley who get rebounds that aren't right there for them to grab, but he seems to stand his ground and get the rebounds he should get. I think when looking at the NBA that is what you want. Nobody is perfect or can get rebounds out of position, but some guys can't even get the rebounds they should get. He has good hands and will have no problem getting over 7 rebounds if given the minutes. He won't be Howard or Ben Wallace, but how many are? Given 30mpg he is going to get 8-10 boards. That doesn't make him a top rebounder, but solid and with his scoring ability it is more than enough. Someone with his scoring ability could get away with only getting 6rpg.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #22
steve

That would end up putting him in Mark Blount territory though and Lopez's biggest hole right now is his defensive rebounding. Really, you're going to want your big man to be a good rebounder otherwise he's going to be a liability in late game situations when you need a big rebound. By the way Stanford has no more players over 4 rebounds a game than say UNC and they also don't dominate people on the boards.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #23
monthh
Local High School Star

Well looking at the numbers you are right, but they still seem like a well rounded rebouding team. UNC is not normal. Compare them to most other teams and you won't see 6 or 7 guys who get over 4rpg. Most teams have a couple really good ones and then the rest get a few. Stanford and UNC have a bunch of guys that get 4 or 5.

And there is no shame on being on the level of Mark Blount, or Brandon Haywood, or LaMarcus Aldridge in rebounding when you are scoring over 18ppg.

Last edited by monthh : 03-06-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #24
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

I caught the Stanford-UCLA game last night (delaying my homework for an extra 2 hours), and Lopez played 43 minutes without getting into foul trouble. He was the star of the game, finishing 18 points, 13 boards, and 5 assists, all in 43 minutes of play without committing any fouls. His brother Robin did well, but he was in foul trouble for a long time during the game. One thing I noticed was that the team around Brook and Robin was very average. Stanford continually went down low to Lopez, and I think that took away reps for his team and the lack of contribution from the rest of his team really hurt, and was a big reason why they lost. I'm starting to think that Lopez should just enter the draft this year, because the team around him is not very good. He is pretty well developed for his age, and I think he's ready to make the jump.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #25
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
I caught the Stanford-UCLA game last night (delaying my homework for an extra 2 hours), and Lopez played 43 minutes without getting into foul trouble. He was the star of the game, finishing 18 points, 13 boards, and 5 assists, all in 43 minutes of play without committing any fouls. His brother Robin did well, but he was in foul trouble for a long time during the game. One thing I noticed was that the team around Brook and Robin was very average. Stanford continually went down low to Lopez, and I think that took away reps for his team and the lack of contribution from the rest of his team really hurt, and was a big reason why they lost. I'm starting to think that Lopez should just enter the draft this year, because the team around him is not very good. He is pretty well developed for his age, and I think he's ready to make the jump.

I don't care how good your team is if you have Brook Lopez you will give him the rock all day long. It doesn't matter if there is a double team he will just shoot over you. You caught one of the only games where the team around him didn't play that well and you go off saying that. Anthony Goods has been playing very well of late as well as Robin.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #26
monthh
Local High School Star

I caught the last 4 minutes of regulation and overtime, and that is when Stanford blew it, but Brook always does his thing. Rebounding has been an issue in this thread, but I don't think it is a big issue on the court. He rebounds his position and does what he has to. The guy can score in the post, he is athletic for his size and the way he plays, and has a good, natural feel for the game. This guy is a very good prospect.

As for Stanford as a team, they aren't North Carolina, but they are so solid overall. Obviously the team is built around the Lopez brothers, but the rest of the guys do their job and they play well as a team. I don't know how far I will have this team going, but I think they are legit Elite 8 contender. They would even be one of my darkhorses for the Final 4.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:09 AM   #27
Crazy Style
Bulls official mod

Crazy Style has an OK reputation so far

The Bulls should draft this guy! It would give them a legitimate low post center for the future. Noah can step in when needed, but Brooks low post skills could do a lot for them.
Crazy Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #28
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Style
The Bulls should draft this guy! It would give them a legitimate low post center for the future. Noah can step in when needed, but Brooks low post skills could do a lot for them.
Yes, finally somebody who realizes how valuable a 7'0 center with legit post skills like Lopez could be! This guy may not be a monster rebounder, but there are plenty of rebounding PFs in the league. His touch around the basket makes him very useful indeed. Of course, Brook would take a few seasons to really become a legit starting center, toughen up and add a bit more muscle, but he will start on some of the bad teams who might draft him.

Like, if Miami didn't get the #1 pick? They could take Lopez and pair him with Udonis Haslem, who is a very solid rebounder, and then you got Marion at SF, who is olso a good rebounder.

Or if Minnesota took him and paired him with Al Jefferson, who is a big time rebounder, and then hopefully Corey Brewer would bulk up a bit and improve his jump shot to compliment his tenacious defence.

Or the Knicks! Holy crap, would he ever be useful to the Knicks! They could dump Eddy Curried, and pair Lopez with Zach Randolph, backed up by David Lee, and then with Renaldo Balkman, the rebuilding process would be greatly helped along! And that way they don't make a horrible mistake by drafting OJ Mayo, who is and always will be inferior to Jamal Crawford. Then they would get Stephon Marbury back, and a new coach.

He would be useful to the Sonics, pairing him with Chris Wilcox, Nick Collison and Jeff Green.

The Clippers... not so much. I don't think Lopez will ever be as good of a center as Chris Kaman, and if they kept Elton Brand around, the Clips wouldn't really have a spot for Brook.

The Bobcats could definitely use Lopez too, pair him with Okafor and Gerald Wallace in the froncourt, that may be the missing piece. Then they get Sean May and Adam Morrison (he will be decent people, just wait) back, I think the Bobcats could definitely make the playoffs with Lopez.

The Grizzlies... I definitely think Lopez has to be considered an improvement over Darko Milicic. The Grizzlies are really lacking in the frontcourt, Hakeem Warrick and Darko Milicic are their starting 4 and 5? With Kwame Brown and Jason Collins, two of the most useless big men in the league, backing them up? That is UUUUUUGLY, and Lopez would definitely fit. That team needs to hang on to Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley Jr., and Mike Miller, and try to improve that gross frontcourt.

If he somehow fell to the Hawks, like holy crap, they have been playing Josh Smith at PF because they were dumb enough to draft Marvin Williams. Pair Lopez with Al Whoreford and Josh Smith, that is a BEASTLY frontcourt.

Or if he somehow fell to the Kings, they could play Brad Miller at PF, with Artest.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #29
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Yes, finally somebody who realizes how valuable a 7'0 center with legit post skills like Lopez could be! This guy may not be a monster rebounder, but there are plenty of rebounding PFs in the league. His touch around the basket makes him very useful indeed. Of course, Brook would take a few seasons to really become a legit starting center, toughen up and add a bit more muscle, but he will start on some of the bad teams who might draft him.

Like, if Miami didn't get the #1 pick? They could take Lopez and pair him with Udonis Haslem, who is a very solid rebounder, and then you got Marion at SF, who is olso a good rebounder.

Or if Minnesota took him and paired him with Al Jefferson, who is a big time rebounder, and then hopefully Corey Brewer would bulk up a bit and improve his jump shot to compliment his tenacious defence.

Or the Knicks! Holy crap, would he ever be useful to the Knicks! They could dump Eddy Curried, and pair Lopez with Zach Randolph, backed up by David Lee, and then with Renaldo Balkman, the rebuilding process would be greatly helped along! And that way they don't make a horrible mistake by drafting OJ Mayo, who is and always will be inferior to Jamal Crawford. Then they would get Stephon Marbury back, and a new coach.

He would be useful to the Sonics, pairing him with Chris Wilcox, Nick Collison and Jeff Green.

The Clippers... not so much. I don't think Lopez will ever be as good of a center as Chris Kaman, and if they kept Elton Brand around, the Clips wouldn't really have a spot for Brook.

The Bobcats could definitely use Lopez too, pair him with Okafor and Gerald Wallace in the froncourt, that may be the missing piece. Then they get Sean May and Adam Morrison (he will be decent people, just wait) back, I think the Bobcats could definitely make the playoffs with Lopez.

The Grizzlies... I definitely think Lopez has to be considered an improvement over Darko Milicic. The Grizzlies are really lacking in the frontcourt, Hakeem Warrick and Darko Milicic are their starting 4 and 5? With Kwame Brown and Jason Collins, two of the most useless big men in the league, backing them up? That is UUUUUUGLY, and Lopez would definitely fit. That team needs to hang on to Rudy Gay, Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley Jr., and Mike Miller, and try to improve that gross frontcourt.

If he somehow fell to the Hawks, like holy crap, they have been playing Josh Smith at PF because they were dumb enough to draft Marvin Williams. Pair Lopez with Al Whoreford and Josh Smith, that is a BEASTLY frontcourt.

Or if he somehow fell to the Kings, they could play Brad Miller at PF, with Artest.

Yeah, Lopez is falling to the 2nd round....

(Phoenix gets Atlanta's pick this year... via Joe Johnson trade)
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: