Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-21-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
zmuda
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default why give away jr smith?

for garbage has been eisley and 2nd rnd draft picks? somebody explain this to me.
zmuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

We need cap space to sign Adrian Griffin, so apparently we got the most for Smith that we could, although I would have liked to see a first rounder instead of 2 seconds.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Czar
I airball my layups

I know one thing. Jr Smith will fill the need for 2G in Denver. I think he can be a great 2G. He should be better than most SGs in the west.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:37 AM   #4
vmdv12
Kids at the park dunk on me

This has been killing me! I feel they just gave him away. While we're on the topic of giving away...I'm starting to doubt the moves the Bulls made. I like the players we have, but I'm starting to wonder if they were the right moves. Is Thabo Sefolosha better than Ronnie Brewer? Would Aldridge have fit better with the Bulls than Tyrus Thomas? We have NO height! JR Smith has so much talent, FIRST ROUND talent. Couldn't we have gotten more? I like the addition of Griffin, actually, I love it! BUT, we gave up a HUGE talent in Smith for almost nothing. We have one player over 6'10"...ouch. Time will tell, I guess.
vmdv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

JR Smith for Eisley was the trade right?
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:31 PM   #6
Kiss Murder
Decent playground baller

Arrow I got soul...but I'm not a soldier..

Bulls will regret this trade....they will regret it...
Kiss Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
INFINITY2152

Lightbulb Time to grow up

The Bulls gave up J.R. Smith for several reasons: first, the Bulls are trying to develop a team concept, and character is a major factor in keeping a player ( see Tim Thomas), and J.R. Smith has a poor reputation. I'm sure they met with him personally and evaluated whether they felt he would fit in with the team. Second, I believe this is the last year on his contract, and if he did perform well they would have yet another player they would have to give a high contract to or lose for nothing ( see Darius Songaila). Third , the Bulls have so many young players on the team, they wanted to bring in some leadership and experience, plus the fact that he played for the Bulls already and and knows the plays far better than J.R. Smith doesn't hurt. Eisley's contract is non-guaranteed and will be waived. The trade was to clear room for Adrian Griffin. And second round picks become Chris Duhons if you use them right, or package together in another trade. The Bulls have more than enough young players, the last thing they need is a young, immature player.
INFINITY2152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
RapsFan
Great college starter

I love how all young players are 'immature'. Byron Scott has had tons of run-ins during his career as a coach. He's another example, or maybe the biggest example, of a coach who wants the spotlight....well maybe not as much as Larry Brown.

As for JR....they gave him away, bottom line. Griffin is a marginal player, a defensive 32 year old who probably won't see much time. JR will probably excel in Denver as their SG with Melo for years.

As an outsider's opinion of the Bulls moves.....the Thomas pick is a bit weird...seeing as they already have two great young SFs to choose from in Luol and Nocioni. Thabo should be good...as he fills the size at SG issue ( which JR would have also). But overall, they will be solid. I think the could have got more for JR...perhaps help up front, but they are stacked with young talents. Maybe need to turn two of them into one sooner or later otherwise the cap will be blown off the roof! Aldridge would have made more sense to be groomed by PJ brown. He may be soft so far, but so was Channing Frye in college. Nothing against Thomas...but Bulls need height.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
Lightemup43

I totally disagree with this trade...That is all that I need to say, great deal for Denver
Lightemup43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
Raildog
I airball my layups

Could be a case of addition by subtraction!
Raildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #11
Czar
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
I love how all young players are 'immature'. Byron Scott has had tons of run-ins during his career as a coach. He's another example, or maybe the biggest example, of a coach who wants the spotlight....well maybe not as much as Larry Brown.

As for JR....they gave him away, bottom line. Griffin is a marginal player, a defensive 32 year old who probably won't see much time. JR will probably excel in Denver as their SG with Melo for years.

As an outsider's opinion of the Bulls moves.....the Thomas pick is a bit weird...seeing as they already have two great young SFs to choose from in Luol and Nocioni. Thabo should be good...as he fills the size at SG issue ( which JR would have also). But overall, they will be solid. I think the could have got more for JR...perhaps help up front, but they are stacked with young talents. Maybe need to turn two of them into one sooner or later otherwise the cap will be blown off the roof! Aldridge would have made more sense to be groomed by PJ brown. He may be soft so far, but so was Channing Frye in college. Nothing against Thomas...but Bulls need height.

You are right because he fought with J Kidd.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 03:38 PM   #12
dak121
College superstar

Hmm. Underachieving 7 ft. stiff like Chandler or perennial 6'8'' all-star in Ben Wallace? Apparently height means everything.

Or how about the 'great' 30-52 Bulls team of 2002/3 that featured at times the tallest lineup in the league of Crawford, Rose, Marshall, Chandler and Curry? Or the 'midget' season-ending lineup of Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Nocioni and Sweetney? A group that pulled together by the end of the season with 41 wins and a decent showing against the league champions in the playoffs?

Height is ridiculously overrated by the masses. What it should come down to is the ability to play the position and nothing else. Determining the value of a player by their height is a really quick way of missing out on talent. The Chandler/Brand trade is the ultimate example of that.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
Kiss Murder
Decent playground baller

Arrow Tell me it's over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raildog
Could be a case of addition by subtraction!

This is true...
Kiss Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #14
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Everyone is asking why we didn't trade for more height and the answer is clear: Paxson is looking for a cheap veteran to provide some leadership. Apparently Denver was the only team interested in taking JR Smith, and we got the best deal we could. The key is that Eisley's contract was non-guaranteed, so we could just get rid of him with no penalty, but he had to be included for cap reasons. Before the trade, our roster looked like this:

PG: Hinrich, Duhon
SG: Gordon, Sefolosha, Smith
SF: Nocioni, Deng, Khryapa
PF: Brown, Thomas, Allen
C: Wallace, Sweetney

Now that we traded Smith away and signed Adrian Griffin, there are two spots left. I believe they will keep Schenscher only because he is tall, and will keep either Aaron Miles or Basden for the 15th roster spot.

Smith wouldn't have gotten any PT anyway, unless he showed something amazing. I think we could have gotten a more useful veteran than Griffin, but if he is ok with 5-10 minutes/game, then that's fine with me. He knows the players and coaches, so this will be nothing new to him.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #15
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Smith may have an attitude and cant play a lick of Defense but he can shoot and he is as athletic as they come. Im a Laker fan and saw the trade and was suprised for what little they recieved. I have an better understanding for why the Bulls made the deal. I think if the Bulls held out longer they could of got more. I understand they wanted Griffen but if smith can get his sheet together he has superstar potential. Is that worth what the Bulls recieved?
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: