Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation
Default The March Madness Thread

March Madness is coming soon, and it's a pretty big deal for guys that want to make a name for themselves. Once it rolls around, start posting your observations in this thread.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Since we are still a couple weeks away, I would just like to say that I am excited to see Gonzaga for the first time in forever. It seemed the last 3 or 4 years I caught them at least 5 times a year, but for some reason I just haven't seen them on TV. I was not impressed with Pargo or Bouldin last year, but they seem to have the team right on pace for another potential NCAA tournament run. I have only seen them once this year and I was not impressed with Austin Daye, but he seems to be high on draft boards. I can see the athletic ability, but I just didn't see a guy who could even play in the NBA right now. I have also been really impressed with Heytvelt in the past, but the off the court issues have turned me off some, and now he is having an average year. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he started last year off like a lottery pick, and just has been dropping since. I just don't think you can lose that kind of potential overnight, so I really want to see him.

I am also excited to see Eric Maynor and VCU again. I watched them once earlier in the year and I just love this guy. That Duke game last year was one of the best games I have ever seen just because it is Duke losing to a mid-major and a great performance by Maynor who just wouldn't let them lose.

I'm also kind of hoping that if I don't get to see them in the WAC tournament that Nevada will make a run and make the tournament because JaVale McGee looks like a good prospect, but I haven't gotten to see him play a full game yet. He seems like the type of player I wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets draft becuase not only does he give them a young, athletic backup to Yao, but he is also has so much potential to improve his offensvie game and add some weight.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Since we are still a couple weeks away, I would just like to say that I am excited to see Gonzaga for the first time in forever. It seemed the last 3 or 4 years I caught them at least 5 times a year, but for some reason I just haven't seen them on TV. I was not impressed with Pargo or Bouldin last year, but they seem to have the team right on pace for another potential NCAA tournament run. I have only seen them once this year and I was not impressed with Austin Daye, but he seems to be high on draft boards. I can see the athletic ability, but I just didn't see a guy who could even play in the NBA right now. I have also been really impressed with Heytvelt in the past, but the off the court issues have turned me off some, and now he is having an average year. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he started last year off like a lottery pick, and just has been dropping since. I just don't think you can lose that kind of potential overnight, so I really want to see him.

I am also excited to see Eric Maynor and VCU again. I watched them once earlier in the year and I just love this guy. That Duke game last year was one of the best games I have ever seen just because it is Duke losing to a mid-major and a great performance by Maynor who just wouldn't let them lose.

I'm also kind of hoping that if I don't get to see them in the WAC tournament that Nevada will make a run and make the tournament because JaVale McGee looks like a good prospect, but I haven't gotten to see him play a full game yet. He seems like the type of player I wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets draft becuase not only does he give them a young, athletic backup to Yao, but he is also has so much potential to improve his offensvie game and add some weight.

I saw McGee for a brief period of time at my uncle's house last monthh. I had to change the channel because everyone wanted to watch some other game, I think it was a K-State game. Never got a long look at him, but he was a pretty tall prospect and seems athletic, and had a good little hook shot in the paint. Of course, that's just a 5-10 minute observation. March Madness will probably turn some of the guys who were thinking about staying at first, but once they put on good performances and see their stock rising, they just can't resist and put their name in. McGee could be one of those guys if he makes it, but I hope he stays so I can watch him next year. Tyrese Rice may be another example of that, depending on how well his team does in tournament play. If he keeps putting up scoring numbers like this, then I think he'll get some interest in the late 1st-early 2nd round range.

Another player that I wonder whether or not will leave is Davon Jefferson. I watched a few USC games earlier in the year, and Jefferson was a pretty athletic guy, and the announcers kept wondering, "Is this the game Davon Jefferson finally breaks out?" He never seemed like a complete prospect to me, but if he and SC make a solid run, then I think he could find himself putting his name in along with O.J. Bill Walker of Kansas State is also a player I think might enter the draft. Kansas State might not make the NCAA Tournament this year, and with Beasley almost certainly leaving, he might take a look at the talent around him and decide that he might as well enter also. I think he could be a potential prospect, maybe like Shawne Williams was, and someone could take him in the mid-late first round.

Right now I'm wondering about where Kosta Koufos stands in the draft. iseenhippos considers him an almost surefire choice to go to Memphis at pick number 3 in his latest mock draft. I never considered him that high of a prospect, though to be fair I haven't watched much of him this year. He just doesn't look like a top 3 prospect to me. Sure, he can shoot, but how good of a back-to-basket player will he be? Maybe he could be a better Mehmet Okur, but does that really warrant him going that high? Tyler Hansbrough will probably stay for his senior season, I just can't see him wanting to leave. He seems like a pretty active guy, and I think there's room on an NBA roster for an energy guy like him. We've seen players like him work pretty well, i.e. David Lee in New York.

I have one question, which may be off topic, but what is your opinion on Anthony Randolph? I just saw that he's ranked pretty high in nbadraft.net's mock draft, and I'm wondering what makes him go that high.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If A.J. Price performs good is there a chance he leaves?
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
If A.J. Price performs good is there a chance he leaves?

Connecticut has no seniors on their roster, and Price/Thabeet are the only players on the roster that will probably consider leaving early for the NBA. If I were him, I'd stay in school and try to win a National Championship. Thabeet should stay, too.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #6
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We have one senoir I believe, but he's a bench warmer.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/roster?collegeId=41

I don't see any Seniors there, but then again, ESPN isn't the most reliable source for rosters.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Must have been last year's squad then. But DeAndre Jordan could really help his draft stock, if he could prove that atheleticism isn't the only good thing about him. If he could play like Dwight Howard throughout the rest of the year and tourney, I'd say there is a 99% chane he'll be draft No.1.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
Must have been last year's squad then. But DeAndre Jordan could really help his draft stock, if he could prove that atheleticism isn't the only good thing about him. If he could play like Dwight Howard throughout the rest of the year and tourney, I'd say there is a 99% chane he'll be draft No.1.

That's very iffy, and I don't think it will happen. At first I thought he should stay in school and develop his skills there, but the NBA will train him much better than college. I think he should and will enter, but the likelyhood of him going number one is small. Frankly, I'm not sure if I even like him as my No. 1 center. There is lots of potential, however.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

He's not even the starting center on his college team, so I don't see how he is considered a top pick either.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

I think one more year in school of getting down the basics would help, and then he's free to leave. Leaving right now would get him better trainers, but he needs to become a more developed player first if he wants to avoid being another Kwame. A team better have patience if they're going to draft him this year. If they're angry after two years because he hasn't turned into the next Howard, then they had no business drafting him. He's a big developmental project that will need a lot of nurturing, but eventually his team might reap the rewards. He's probably #2 on my list of centers, behind Brook Lopez.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

I think he'll end up like that Sene guy the Sonics drafted a few years back, lots of atheleticism. But, he was drafted in the lottery got big bucks and now plays in the D-League, he might have been moved up though.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

I'm not much for knowing when people get drafted and what not, but I'm fairly impressed by Marquette (go figure, they're my favorite NCAA team).

Considering that they're probably going to get a 5 seed or so in the tournament I have a feeling they could do some damage. Especially with their young roster.

They have Dominic James who is a fantastic dribbler but isn't the greatest shooter or passer, and a scorer in McNell. Also Matthews is a pretty nice player as well. Fitzgerald comes off the bench and can provide a spark if he's hot, he can shoot.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Quote:
I think he'll end up like that Sene guy the Sonics drafted a few years back, lots of atheleticism. But, he was drafted in the lottery got big bucks and now plays in the D-League, he might have been moved up though.

Terrible pick by the Sonics. Year after year they draft a big man hoping that one of them will develop into something; should've gotten a good veteran. Sene and Swift probably won't amount to much, though the jury is still out on them. I think Jordan will be better than Sene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix

I'm not much for knowing when people get drafted and what not, but I'm fairly impressed by Marquette (go figure, they're my favorite NCAA team).

Considering that they're probably going to get a 5 seed or so in the tournament I have a feeling they could do some damage. Especially with their young roster.

They have Dominic James who is a fantastic dribbler but isn't the greatest shooter or passer, and a scorer in McNell. Also Matthews is a pretty nice player as well. Fitzgerald comes off the bench and can provide a spark if he's hot, he can shoot.

James is an intriguing prospect, as a team that plays high-tempo ball would love him and the athleticism he brings to the table, but I could also see him going to a slow, half-court type team that wants a change of pace. Maybe he could be a Damon Stoudamire type, although probably a bit better.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Well, since we are talking about the sonics, why don't they put KD at SF and Green at PF? It just seems very odd to see Durant playing the 2 guard. But if they do leave it at KD at SG and Jeff Green at SF and land Derrick Rose, The West could easily be a conference with 10 playoff caliber teams.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: