Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

This is what I like for the Sonics:

PG- Rose or Bayless
SG- Shooter
SF-Kevin Durant
PF-Nick Collison
C-Wilcox

6th man- Jeff Green

Green is too short and not as strong as the other PF's, and I don't want him starting on the perimeter now. Let him come off the bench and provide a spark; every team needs that. Durant needs a PG to take ballhandling duties away from him, so he can get higher percentages of shots, and a quality shooter on the wing with him will help, too. I think the Sonics are going to be pretty average down low unless they find a steal, or maybe pick up a guy next year. Jeff might be able to start eventually, but I don't want him at PF. Call me old fashioned, but I liked big posts.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles
 
UConnCeltics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,885
UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

That guy from LSU who is a top prospect seems a little bit like Tyrus Thomas.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles
 
UConnCeltics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,885
UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three


SG- Shooter

That will most likely be Mike Miller.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #19
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles
 
UConnCeltics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,885
UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Randolph looked pretty good with 19 points in the win against Georgia today. Maybe he is something good. Here are his averages: 14.8 ppg 8.7 rpg 1.3apg and he has scored in double figures in all but four games, 8 double-doubles, and averages about 2.5 blocks a game.

Last edited by UConnCeltics : 03-02-2008 at 05:18 PM.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 PM   #20
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Randolph looked pretty good with 19 points in the win against Georgia today. Maybe he is something good. Here are his averages: 14.8 ppg 8.7 rpg 1.3apg and he has scored in double figures in all but four games, 8 double-doubles, and averages about 2.5 blocks a game.

Very impressive statistics for a freshman, but if he's the next Tyrus Thomas then I'd wait a few more picks on him.

Miller would be a good scoring option next to Durant.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles
 
UConnCeltics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,885
UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Problem with Thomas is he needs a dominant big man with him. He had Glen Davis with him at LSU, and Davis attracted the post defenders allowing Thomas to score as much as he wanted. He also got most of his rebounds because it takes 2 bodies to box out Davis in College. If he was playing next to a Emeka Okafor type player, he would be dominant right now. Charlotte would be a top four team in the east Charlotte could have drafted him, but took Morrison instead.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #22
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Problem with Thomas is he needs a dominant big man with him. He had Glen Davis with him at LSU, and Davis attracted the post defenders allowing Thomas to score as much as he wanted. He also got most of his rebounds because it takes 2 bodies to box out Davis in College. If he was playing next to a Emeka Okafor type player, he would be dominant right now. Charlotte would be a top four team in the east Charlotte could have drafted him, but took Morrison instead.

No, dude.... Charlotte would not be #4 in the Eastern Conference. They are not that good.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #23
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles
 
UConnCeltics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 2,885
UConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUConnCeltics is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Exactly. They would be that good but they are not. If they drafted him they would start Raymon Felton, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, and Emeka Okafor. That would be a top lineup in the league.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #24
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Exactly. They would be that good but they are not. If they drafted him they would start Raymon Felton, Jason Richardson, Gerald Wallace, Tyrus Thomas, and Emeka Okafor. That would be a top lineup in the league.

Dude, no.... Sorry, but no! Tyrus Thomas isn't going to change Charlotte from borderline playoffs (if even that) to #4 in the Eastern Conference this year. Just isn't happening.

Meh, rough day, Lakers win and my little friend Derek is getting giddy saying that the Spurs will lose to the Lakers simply because they "run a bit faster".

The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #25
monthh
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 971
monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Big Three, I think Davon Jefferson is a pretty good prospect. Not complete as you said, but a project kind of pick. The problem is he probably won't go in the lottery and you can tell by the trades this season that very few teams are going to be looking for projects unless they just want a guy to put in the D-League for a couple years. In a few years I could Jefferson as a starting SF somewhere.

Koufos is a system player in the NBA to me. If you have a PF that stays inside and want a shooter to stretch the court, he is your man. Not many players will come out that can be that type of player. If you are a team like Charlotte that may want to move Okafor to PF, this is the time to grab a Koufus.

Anthony Randolph is this years big time PF athlete. Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift all over again. LSU just seems to grow these tall athletes. I do think he has a lot of potential, but right now he gets by on his athletic ability. There is a lot of work to do in terms of skill, but the reward could be huge. He might be a nice peice for Philly or Washington if they want to start looking for high reward (high risk as well) guys for the future.

As for Jordan, he is once again a project pick. Dwight Howard is not a far comparison at all. I see more Patrick O'Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Keon Clark, or Andris Biedrins. None were considered great prospects like Howard was. I really don't know what to make of Jordan, but I have also never been a fan of drafting a center real high unless they just blow you away. It is kind of like getting a QB high in the NFL. You might get a Payton Manning, but you could also get a Tom Brady or Tony Romo very very late. Centers seem to be the same way, although the recent classes don't seem to be so random as they were 10 years ago. I do, however, think he should leave because the NBA game suits him more than the college game, and while colleges would help him some, being in the NBA, even if it means splitting time in the D-League, would go a long way in making him a better player.

I like AJ Price a lot. It of course wouldn't hurt for him to stay, be on a likely top 5 team, and work on his shooting. However, this is a very average PG draft, especially when you talk about the later part of the 1st round. You will have Rose, Bayless, Augustin, and Collison taken early, and Lawson won't go much later. After that, I only see 2nd rounders. Price could enter and not sign an agent and see if he could seperate himself from (if they enter early) Rice, Jerrells, Chalmers, Vasquez, and Calathes. I think he has a good shot at being the #5 PG in the draft and that could be enough to get him a 1st round pick.

I think the Sonics are a hard team to figure out because during the start of the draft one of the announcers said that the Sonics just want to get as many 6-9 athletes as possible and just run and be a big team. Durant and Green fit that role, so maybe they grab Greene or Griffin? I think that is crazy, but I just thought I would throw that out there. PG should be their big concern followed by center if they dare take another one, and then SG as people pointed out should't be filled by Durant for his whole career.

And just to add to the conversation, I can't stand watching Dominic James play. He is super athletic and may find a role on a team, but I just can't stand to watch him take such wild shots, and then on top of it, which makes him worse than a Jason Williams type of chucker, is that he fails to find his teammates enough. He just doesn't seem to have a high basketball IQ, or he just thinks he has to do it all himself. I just don't think James has the knack a good PG needs. If he is 6-4, then he is a 1st round pick, but he isn't. His best hope is to find a team that wants a spark off the bench.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Big Three, I think Davon Jefferson is a pretty good prospect. Not complete as you said, but a project kind of pick. The problem is he probably won't go in the lottery and you can tell by the trades this season that very few teams are going to be looking for projects unless they just want a guy to put in the D-League for a couple years. In a few years I could Jefferson as a starting SF somewhere.

Koufos is a system player in the NBA to me. If you have a PF that stays inside and want a shooter to stretch the court, he is your man. Not many players will come out that can be that type of player. If you are a team like Charlotte that may want to move Okafor to PF, this is the time to grab a Koufus.

Anthony Randolph is this years big time PF athlete. Tyrus Thomas/Stromile Swift all over again. LSU just seems to grow these tall athletes. I do think he has a lot of potential, but right now he gets by on his athletic ability. There is a lot of work to do in terms of skill, but the reward could be huge. He might be a nice peice for Philly or Washington if they want to start looking for high reward (high risk as well) guys for the future.

As for Jordan, he is once again a project pick. Dwight Howard is not a far comparison at all. I see more Patrick O'Bryant, Andrew Bynum, Keon Clark, or Andris Biedrins. None were considered great prospects like Howard was. I really don't know what to make of Jordan, but I have also never been a fan of drafting a center real high unless they just blow you away. It is kind of like getting a QB high in the NFL. You might get a Payton Manning, but you could also get a Tom Brady or Tony Romo very very late. Centers seem to be the same way, although the recent classes don't seem to be so random as they were 10 years ago. I do, however, think he should leave because the NBA game suits him more than the college game, and while colleges would help him some, being in the NBA, even if it means splitting time in the D-League, would go a long way in making him a better player.

I like AJ Price a lot. It of course wouldn't hurt for him to stay, be on a likely top 5 team, and work on his shooting. However, this is a very average PG draft, especially when you talk about the later part of the 1st round. You will have Rose, Bayless, Augustin, and Collison taken early, and Lawson won't go much later. After that, I only see 2nd rounders. Price could enter and not sign an agent and see if he could seperate himself from (if they enter early) Rice, Jerrells, Chalmers, Vasquez, and Calathes. I think he has a good shot at being the #5 PG in the draft and that could be enough to get him a 1st round pick.

I think the Sonics are a hard team to figure out because during the start of the draft one of the announcers said that the Sonics just want to get as many 6-9 athletes as possible and just run and be a big team. Durant and Green fit that role, so maybe they grab Greene or Griffin? I think that is crazy, but I just thought I would throw that out there. PG should be their big concern followed by center if they dare take another one, and then SG as people pointed out should't be filled by Durant for his whole career.

And just to add to the conversation, I can't stand watching Dominic James play. He is super athletic and may find a role on a team, but I just can't stand to watch him take such wild shots, and then on top of it, which makes him worse than a Jason Williams type of chucker, is that he fails to find his teammates enough. He just doesn't seem to have a high basketball IQ, or he just thinks he has to do it all himself. I just don't think James has the knack a good PG needs. If he is 6-4, then he is a 1st round pick, but he isn't. His best hope is to find a team that wants a spark off the bench.

Ugh, once again a long, drawn out response by monthh that just makes me feel dumber and dumber . Jerrells, Vasquez, and Calathes? Now I know why I don't finish the first round in my mocks lol. I can't think of anything else to add that you haven't said, so now that we've got those guys covered, how about someone explain to me who the above mentioned guards are, and lets talk about some players that you think could benefit from March Madness this year. Brandon Rush is a junior, right? I like his shot, he seems to have very good form. Do you think he has a chance to be a good starter, or just a role player?
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #27
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,987
i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
Ugh, once again a long, drawn out response by monthh that just makes me feel dumber and dumber . Jerrells, Vasquez, and Calathes? Now I know why I don't finish the first round in my mocks lol. I can't think of anything else to add that you haven't said, so now that we've got those guys covered, how about someone explain to me who the above mentioned guards are, and lets talk about some players that you think could benefit from March Madness this year. Brandon Rush is a junior, right? I like his shot, he seems to have very good form. Do you think he has a chance to be a good starter, or just a role player?

Calathes is interesting. A pg in a sg/sf body. If only he was a little more athletic and quick. One thing he can work on that could make him a truly legit NBA player is work on the handles. If he could lower his dribble a bit and really be creative off the dribble, he'd be interesting. A less athletic, smarter, better range version of Livingston perhaps. Without the high ceiling, but with some actual consistency. No more than a backup though. Maybe in the mold of a Jaric/Udrih? That's the best I can see him being.

Vasquez has the same size advantage that Calathes has, but this guy is a true pg. He's agressive, can shoot, pass, etc. The one thing again with him is that he isn't that athletic or fast, which means he'd have to do other things very well, but he's not a defender right now either. The attitude and style of player is very interesting however. He's a 6th man type with borderline starting potential on an average at best team. His impact on a team could be something similar to fellow Latin player Carlos Arroyo, but better at everything.

I had Rush as a 15-20 player a year ago, but injuries haven't helped and he still doesn't like to take over games. You can get away with that if you're his former teammate Julian Wright, but Rush can't. He's a late first rounder if he impresses teams in workouts. A decent backup if his career pans out. He does have underrated athleticism though and can shoot so if he ever put the work in, he could be "why didn't we draft him?" type player. He has very balanced game, but wouldn't be a defender either. Nice size too. height and bulk.

His IQ and playmaking ability/unselfishness (partly why he never tries taking over games himself) could make him a nice second round pick up for a team like Toronto.

Last edited by i seen hippos : 03-03-2008 at 08:21 PM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #28
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Thanks hippos, that helped me out. It's amazing how you guys know all these players this deep in a draft class.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #29
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,987
i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Three
Thanks hippos, that helped me out. It's amazing how you guys know all these players this deep in a draft class.

I'm obsessed with college ball, which helps.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #30
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator
 
The Big Three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: http://www.insidehoops.com/
Posts: 2,406
The Big Three has decent reputation
Default Re: The March Madness thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I'm obsessed with college ball, which helps.

So you watch a bunch of games, but how do you spot out the talent right away? Are you a really good "scout", or do you come into games with a short list prepared of players to watch for and evaluate those players' performances? I'm just curious, because I've started to watch college basketball a good amount of time the past couple of weeks, and I want to learn how to evaluate talent like you and monthh do, it'd just be a nice hobby for me.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy