Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM   #31
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Official PimpCast: Mavericks vs. Lakers, 3/2/08, 12:30PM PST, Staples Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Which is exactly why you aren't coaching or playing in the NBA.

Agreed.

I do get amused when some of these guys think they know more than an NBA caliber coach...

Its fair to question the coach... its plain stupid to say Pjax is a "dubass idiot."

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #32
Ceballos
Banned

Default Re: Official PimpCast: Mavericks vs. Lakers, 3/2/08, 12:30PM PST, Staples Center

Phil's idiotic tactics when the game was close cost the Lakers a to win games. Just look at the stats of the Lakers during close games. It almost happened today and it certainly happened in the Detroit game where they had the game in the bag.
Ceballos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #33
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceballos
Phil's idiotic tactics when the game was close cost the Lakers a to win games. Just look at the stats of the Lakers during close games. It almost happened today and it certainly happened in the Detroit game where they had the game in the bag.

Armchair quarterback.... nothing more.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #34
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

I'm actually surprised the Lakers won this game.
Lakers minus Kobe shot 30% (18 of 60).

It must've been the defense.
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #35
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
It boggles my intelligent mind why Phil refuse to allow his players to foul anyone inside the arc...or guard anyone outside the arc near the end of the game. What a dumbass idiot this coach is.

I coach basketball and I always tell my players about what a horrible "End of Game" coach Phil is, i've seen them lose games in the past because he has no clue about guarding the 3 point line with 6 seconds or less left......common sense is that they should have had at least 4 of the players outside the arc.....Phil is a great coach but for some reason he just doesn't get this. I also thought he should've had Farmar in and Fisher out in the last 5 minutes against Portland I love D-Fish but he's cold as ice.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #36
OldTerp
Great young streetballer

To be honest I don't think Phil is a great "coach" he is a great motivator. Tex is the brains of the operation.
OldTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #37
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTerp
To be honest I don't think Phil is a great "coach" he is a great motivator. Tex is the brains of the operation.

You guys are forgetting that its not just PJax out there... B Scott and K Rambis are on the sidelines as well. I guess they suck too.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #38
OldTerp
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
You guys are forgetting that its not just PJax out there... B Scott and K Rambis are on the sidelines as well. I guess they suck too.

I never said he sucked...just that he wasn't a "great coach".
OldTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #39
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
It boggles my intelligent mind why Phil refuse to allow his players to foul anyone inside the arc...or guard anyone outside the arc near the end of the game. What a dumbass idiot this coach is.
here's why... phil answered this after the game...
he allows them to foul after the ball is put on the floor, his rule in crunch time is never foul a player who hasn't comitted to the drible... why give up a and1 4 point play from behind the arc that can lose the game for you or a and1 three point play that can tie the game.. he went on to say he told odom, don't foul until the ball hits the floor, don't foul a three point shot and if the ball crosses the arc towrds the paint on the dribble they were all told to foul the shooter... so when you look at the play the guys did what they were told, don't foul the shooter on a three..wise move a tie is better than a loss

i'll add to that, we'd rather see the other team beat us with a shot then we beat ourselves with a foolish play... you are assuming the refs will get the play correct, and i think phil has seen enough games to know you don't put yourself into the position where the refs will be a deciding factor.. seems to me phils plan is to make sure the refs are not a factor in the final play of regulation
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #40
Ceballos
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I coach basketball and I always tell my players about what a horrible "End of Game" coach Phil is, i've seen them lose games in the past because he has no clue about guarding the 3 point line with 6 seconds or less left......common sense is that they should have had at least 4 of the players outside the arc.....Phil is a great coach but for some reason he just doesn't get this. I also thought he should've had Farmar in and Fisher out in the last 5 minutes against Portland I love D-Fish but he's cold as ice.

Ceballos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #41
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
here's why... phil answered this after the game...
he allows them to foul after the ball is put on the floor, his rule in crunch time is never foul a player who hasn't comitted to the drible... why give up a and1 4 point play from behind the arc that can lose the game for you or a and1 three point play that can tie the game.. he went on to say he told odom, don't foul until the ball hits the floor, don't foul a three point shot and if the ball crosses the arc towrds the paint on the dribble they were all told to foul the shooter... so when you look at the play the guys did what they were told, don't foul the shooter on a three..wise move a tie is better than a loss

i'll add to that, we'd rather see the other team beat us with a shot then we beat ourselves with a foolish play... you are assuming the refs will get the play correct, and i think phil has seen enough games to know you don't put yourself into the position where the refs will be a deciding factor.. seems to me phils plan is to make sure the refs are not a factor in the final play of regulation

Thank you for a pragmatic and realistic response.

As much as we might like to think it, these NBA coaches (especially the ones with multiple rings) do indeed know a lot more than we do.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #42
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Thank you for a pragmatic and realistic response.

As much as we might like to think it, these NBA coaches (especially the ones with multiple rings) do indeed know a lot more than we do.

Phil's decisions are not above questioning. Jeff Van Gundy (an excellent analyst and a highly-regarded coach in his own right) was questioning his moves as much as we all were. I agree that we shouldn't be calling Phil an idiot or a "stealer of money" (Steve Hartman's words--man do I hate him), but we're all entitled to interpret things as we see them.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #43
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Phil's decisions are not above questioning. Jeff Van Gundy (an excellent analyst and a highly-regarded coach in his own right) was questioning his moves as much as we all were. I agree that we shouldn't be calling Phil an idiot or a "stealer of money" (Steve Hartman's words--man do I hate him), but we're all entitled to interpret things as we see them.
well then i ask you this, take the word of a unemployed coach who has never won it all or the word of the coach trying to lead his team to what could be his tenth ring? lol
yeah hartmans got a bit of a mouth on him. it wouldn't be so bad but he's always shouting... scares the kids...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #44
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
well then i ask you this, take the word of a unemployed coach who has never won it all or the word of the coach trying to lead his team to what could be his tenth ring? lol

I deleted my original response to this because I ended up writing another essay. Someone get me a writing instructor.

Anyways, just because Phil has 9 rings doesn't mean he's numero uno in all things basketball. There are aspects of the game in which certain individuals with less stellar resumes can still be more knowledgeable. Jim Boeheim is the undisputed master of the 2-3 zone. Zero NBA rings to his credit. Pete Carrill is the master of the Princeton offense. Again, zero rings. Larry Brown only has one ring, but most would agree that he's better at in-game management than Phil, who seems to be allergic to timeouts. I would say that Phil is a better coach than any of the guys I listed, but I'd take their word on particular things over Phil's.

Until someone declares Phil Jackson to be God of basketball, I will reserve the right to question some of his in-game decisions.

Last edited by Frank Foley : 03-03-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #45
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Phil doesn't run a lot of set plays and call a bunch of time outs in a row to set stuff up down the stretch. He likes to let his players figure it out on the court so when the pressure is on, they can play through it without feeling they need to be bailed out with a timeout.

Odom got picked off on that play and no one helped him out. It was a team defensive breakdown.

How come nobody is talking about the brilliant move of putting Sasha on Kidd for the stretch run of the 4th qtr???? Sasha completely bothered the heck out of Kidd!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: