Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #31
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why were the Lakers handed a championship team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
yeah he is

doh!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #32
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
I understand Memphis' desire to drop salary. But if they had waited until the summer they could've gotten a better deal.

If I were Memphis I would've demanded a 3rd team getting involved. If nothing materializes you bide your time like Minny did with KG... and a better deal surfaces.

Chicago had pieces like Noah, Nocioni, and expiring PJ Brown. Instead Memphis went for a 3rd young PG in Javaris.

This was not a basketball trade. This was political. Salary was an issue but they could have gotten expirers with better young guys/draft picks from a number of other teams.

Easy Javaris is a stud and the mephis owner didnt want to deal Gasol to the bulls for that offer. The owner loved the laker deal.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #33
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers4ever
I recognize how great a player Gasol is. He is AWESOME around the hoop the way he catches the ball and puts it right in the hoop in one smooth motion. He is perfect for the triangle. Once he gets to play PF with Bynum at center, I think this team is going to be unstoppable. I just don't like the fact that people are complaining that the Lakers were handed a Championship team with one player. We lost a very promising young player in Crittenton and some number one draft picks. He wasn't FREE by any means. Pau is great but he is still only one player on a very talented team. People were not saying this crap when Boston got the three amigos or Kidd went to Dallas. They just like to pick on the Lakers. BTW, I have probably been watching basketball longer than most people on these boards since I have been a Laker fan since about 1968. Therefor Jerry West, my favorite all time player ever, is my avatar.

You still have farmar. Who looks promising. The reason people didnt ride boston that high. Is because boston gave up everything to get k.g. and ray allen. They only go maybe eight deep. Thats on good nights. The lakers were already a good team. They had to ship a few late round picks, a bum, and jarvis. If boston only had to give up a few ok pieces. As opposed to the whole roter. Then they would be the team to pick for winning it all this year. If boston was in the west. When they lost k.g. They probably would have lost alot of ground. The lakers lost a big piece to the puzzle. They are still killing teams. Pau has become the second best player on this team. He should be the second option. Even when bynum gets back.

Look at all of the big trades. Only one of those trades worked. The lakers have been rolling. Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta have all been .500 if not worse. Pau meshed immediately. That says alot about his basketball iq.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #34
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Look at all of the big trades. Only one of those trades worked. The lakers have been rolling. Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta have all been .500 if not worse. Pau meshed immediately. That says alot about his basketball iq.

It says a lot not only about his basketball iq, but about his versatility. He can play the post and create his own shot, run the screen roll effectively, is a solid 15 ft jump shooter, good cutter, good finisher, can run the floor, can defend, block shots, and rebound. He even ran the fast break last game lol.

I had no idea how good this guy could be.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #35
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
It says a lot not only about his basketball iq, but about his versatility. He can play the post and create his own shot, run the screen roll effectively, is a solid 15 ft jump shooter, good cutter, good finisher, can run the floor, can defend, block shots, and rebound. He even ran the fast break last game lol.

I had no idea how good this guy could be.

I live in memphis. I have been watching pau develop for the last six seasons. He was buried here in a small market. I am glad he is finally on a national stage. Where people can see how talented he is.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #36
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

thread starter:

Q & A with Grizz owner

Quote:
Q. Why did you trade Pau Gasol?

A. I traded Pau for a couple of reasons. There's been some negative reaction to Pau in the community, which I tried to alleviate and it didn't have a lot of effect. Had the team gelled this year with Pau, had we done better and started to move toward the playoffs, I would have been against trading Pau. The reality is we're a long ways from where we want to be. We need to step back and put 100 percent of our concentration on the young players and look toward the draft and possibly free agency to build a team. We tried to do trades with three or four teams and what we were offered wasn't going to do anything to improve the team.

We had to reconstruct and start building a team like Portland did and like what Minnesota is trying to do. This trade will give us the ability to get the payroll in line. There is no mystery to it. I'm not dumb enough to think we got quality for quality for Pau. What we did was try to open up flexibility.

Q. When did you realize that a financial deal had to be made?

A. I realized it when we tried to negotiate with Chicago. They weren't interested in giving us financial relief. We had other conversations with teams and the people they were giving us back were veterans with substantial money left on their contracts. They were not of the same quality that Pau was.

We didn't feel like we had a trade that was going to give us quality for quality or someone that would change the direction of the team that much. We had conversations with Chicago which were non-satisfactory. They didn't want to take on the luxury-tax situation and Los Angeles was. In this league, if you're in a big-market area you can afford to do those things. We negotiated as hard as we could for quality players and (Chicago) refused to give up anybody in their core group. What they offered us were guys who play on the second and third team, so we turned them down.

More over here: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...ing-decisions/
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #37
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^nice post sizzle... i guess if we cannot say the truth, then perhaps the owner of the Griz can.. good to post that one!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: