Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-02-2008, 11:01 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Can Pau play at the 4 beside Bynum?

So, we have all been putting up a lineup with Kobe, Pau, Bynum, LO and D Fish as the starting five with great anticipation and excitement.

Have we taken the time to seriously consider whether or not Pau will actually be able to play at the 4 effectively along side a true 5 with so little time left in the season?

Yes, I know that the 4 was his natural position, but he has been playing at the 5 for pretty much the last three years.

Is it possible that Bynum will have to come off the bench to play at the 5 as part of the mob squad for what little he will have left in this season as well as the playoffs?

What are your thoughts?

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can Pau play at the 4 beside Bynum?

good question... as seamless as his play hs been with the lakes i just assumed so but that's a good question...
what's he play on the national team?
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #3
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

LakerDynasty00 has decent reputationLakerDynasty00 has decent reputation

It is a good question, as usual SoCal. I dont know how it will turn out, but it might have a similar effect on Pau as Shaq is having on Amare. Which would be good news for the Lakers. The other teams centers and bigmen will have to guard Drew and that should give Pau much better matchups on defense and offense. I really cant envision any way Bynums return wont be a huge positive. I certainly think having Bynum come off the bench to start is a good idea, but I do believe by playoff time Pau and The Beast should and will be playing together. We have so much versatility at the 2, 3, 4, and 5 that there will always be a great mistmatch on the floor, and they are all post-up opportunities. At some point in each game the defense will have to double either Kobe, Pau, Lamar, or Bynum if they take the ball into the paint and that will inevitably leave the other guys open. On Bynums return I see a lot of continued posting up of Pau and him passing it off to Drew for easy dunks. When Bynum posts up he can find Pau or Kobe for mid-range jumpers. However just with anything else, we wont know how it all works until it happens, so we just have to wait and see. Get back soon big man!

Last edited by LakerDynasty00 : 03-02-2008 at 11:14 PM.
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spain_n...asketball_team) which is not always correct as we know, they have him listed as a Center. But does not necessarily reflect how the coach used him.

If he did play only center, that would add more to my question above.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

still digging here..in the 2006 FIBA tournament in japan he is listed in the roster as a forward/center
edit:
in 2007 the team website lists him as a forward

Born : 06.07.1980
Place of birth: Barcelone (ESP)
Nationality: ESP
Height (m): 2.15
Weight (kg): 115
Position: F
Current club: Memphis Grizzlie

Last edited by gts : 03-02-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:45 PM   #6
SoCalMike

^ thats a good sign in my book...

One other thing I was thinking, related to this topic... I (and others) have been saying "whats the rush about getting Bynum back.." etc....

Well, I think the "rush" is that they need playing time together ASAP if this season is going to turn into a true title opportunity. So, I do hope that Bynum gets back VERY SOON without delay. I do think there is a sense of urgency here.

Am I making any sense here?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM   #7
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
One other thing I was thinking, related to this topic... I (and others) have been saying "whats the rush about getting Bynum back.." etc....

Well, I think the "rush" is that they need playing time together ASAP if this season is going to turn into a true title opportunity. So, I do hope that Bynum gets back VERY SOON without delay. I do think there is a sense of urgency here.

Am I making any sense here?
perfect sense, i have a different view, i may be way off but here's what i posted in the bynum thread

"well he'll be back, i don't see a need to rush things at this time... he'll get some games in before the end of the season and hopefully get into game shape by the playoffs...

with his position and style of play at this time in his career i'd say being in game shape is more important then getting time in with the new lineup... the set plays for him tended to be lobs, a few picks and rolls and lay ups, none of which is dependent on who he plays with as much as basic basketball sense. his own back to the basket moves were just starting to develop, his passing was reaction based on the cutters generally and rebounds were based on his ability to out jump more then out position...
don't take me wrong i'm not picking bynum apart by any means, i'm just pointing out it's not like we are trying to blend the intiator of the offense back into the fold and there's been a personel change... because bynum is so young and new to the game his game was very much that of a player who played situational and reactionary and that type of game is less dependent on knowing your teammates every little move..."
Old 03-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
chipper204
Can barely lace up my sneakers

chipper204 has an OK reputation so far

pau is a smart player i guess he'll do fine playing PF since hes a good passer, rebounder and exp .....moving wothout the ball to get open ...

gasol also posses mid range jumper..when Byno is back ..this team gonna be scary on the paint area
chipper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 AM   #9
GoldMedallist
Great young streetballer

GoldMedallist has an OK reputation so far

In Spain he plays PF, Centers in national team are his brother, Marc (he is really a true C) and Felipe Reyes.

Sometimes, he play at Center, with Garbajosa playing "4", but he usually plays PF.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMedallist
In Spain he plays PF, Centers in national team are his brother, Marc (he is really a true C) and Felipe Reyes.

Sometimes, he play at Center, with Garbajosa playing "4", but he usually plays PF.

have you seen Marc play? What do think about him?
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
perfect sense, i have a different view, i may be way off but here's what i posted in the bynum thread

"well he'll be back, i don't see a need to rush things at this time... he'll get some games in before the end of the season and hopefully get into game shape by the playoffs...

with his position and style of play at this time in his career i'd say being in game shape is more important then getting time in with the new lineup... the set plays for him tended to be lobs, a few picks and rolls and lay ups, none of which is dependent on who he plays with as much as basic basketball sense. his own back to the basket moves were just starting to develop, his passing was reaction based on the cutters generally and rebounds were based on his ability to out jump more then out position...
don't take me wrong i'm not picking bynum apart by any means, i'm just pointing out it's not like we are trying to blend the intiator of the offense back into the fold and there's been a personel change... because bynum is so young and new to the game his game was very much that of a player who played situational and reactionary and that type of game is less dependent on knowing your teammates every little move..."

to add to that, If we start both of them, the other team is screwed if you double on one or straight up guard them man on man.

Bynum has always been a great finisher, so if Pau gets doubled, Bynum is gonna be wide open under the basket getting layups and dunks. If not, Nobody can guard Pau Gasol 1 on 1. Pau would either score, and if not...Bynum would get the offensive rebound with his length like he has always done and put that back up.

The you have Kobe that always throws those lobs to Bynum after Bynum sets the picks like you were talking about....Kobe can either fake it and score, or Bynum gets his dunks off alley oop tosses.

And if for some odd reason our big three is being guarded well, thats when Odom becomes the monsterous playmaker and he likes scoring it whenever he has open lanes. To top that off, Fisher will always be wide open, so he better keep practicing his jump shot.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #12
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would have to agree with LakerDynasty that having Bynum back will create a similar affect to Amare when Shaq is added. To complicate matters for the rest of the league it will trickle down to Odom as well. Either Bynum or Gasol are going to be guarded by the second biggest guy and Odom the 3rd. Lets look at Dallas

Without With
Walton - Howard Odom - Howard
Odom - Dirk Gasol - Dirk
Gasol - Dampier Bynum - Dampier

Offensively Odom now has a huge mismatch.

With two guys down low and one at the high post, its going to be really hard to double any of the low post guys.

If you double either one of the post guys off of the high post guy, the high post guy dives to the basket and is available with a lob.

If you double off of Kobe/DFish/Farmar/Sasha open 3 ptr.

If you double off the opposite low post player again a lob and dunk.

You have 3 guys on the floor that could command double teams in this matchup with Kobe/Odom/and either Pau/Bynum.

Defensively their may be some issues guarding Dirk. Gasol would have to match up on him and he may not be quick enough to stay with him. On the bright side though anyone driving the lane has to get through Bynum and Gasol. Its going to be difficult for teams to score in the paint.

With those 3 guys down there they should dominate the boards.

size and atheletism....can't wait to see it in action!
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Laker Magic 32
Kids at the park dunk on me

Laker Magic 32 has an OK reputation so far

Well one thing that is for certain is that Gasol can't play the 5 in the west. In a half-court offense he was having difficulties playing against Dampier. If Bynum can come back healthy then presumably Gasol wont have to be guarded by Centers which should be to his advantag.
Laker Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #14
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well....we won't know for sure until it happens of course.

I think Pau will be fine at the 4 spot and this will help him out big on Defense.
I think this is the area will Bynum will help us out most when he comes back...blocking shots...boards...etc. I think it will take time to gel of course...and when Bynum comes back I don't think he will play a whole lot of minutes at first. But come playoff time we should be looking at starting both.

And then again all does depend on Bynum's health when he comes back. Will he be the back up for Pau for the most part when he returns? If so we will have a two headed monster on the 5.

I'm more concern with Lamar guarding SF's....can he keep up with them?

But to stick to the topic....Pau will do good and this will help him out on the defesive end when Bynum comes back.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here

pau was really harping on the grizz org. to get him a big body he can bang with down low a few years ago and even last year, which is probably the reason they got darko. the guy wants help, especially at the big positions. i think he will fit in much better with bynum because the 4 position in the triangle is a perimeter position. it will allow him to roam free on the perimeter and space the floor for drew, but not going to take himself out of the game while doing it. they tried odom at the 4 and he was predominately a perimeter player, but i think with him playing the 3, we can allow him to roam at times, but also get down on the block, or the pinch post when pau is not occupying that position. I actually think he will be better suited to play the 4, which works with the laker personnel.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: