Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
fiddy
HC4L

Default Re: MVP Voting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
I'm curious what is/are the current criteria?

-The player must be born in Germany.
-The player must be with blond hair.
-The player must be 7ft tall.
-The player must be ugly as fucc.

fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

So nobody knows except for Stern where he can declare whoever it is he wants to? That's too Nazism.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
-The player must be born in Germany.
-The player must be with blond hair.
-The player must be 7ft tall.
-The player must be ugly as fucc.

How the heck did -7ft tall Steve Nash get it then? That mean Yao would get it every year since he resemble Frankenstein.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

how I think the award should be given:
the voters should give it to the player "who is the best all-around player in the NBA". That should be determined by watching many many games. Not just looking at stats.

BUT, if we are talking about the traditional measure, as awarded in the past,
it should go to a standout player (i.e. one who puts up big numbers leading his team) on a team with top record (min. 50 wins).
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

What if the MVP was achieved by the NBA players voting for the player they think is best? Then, at least it is your peers voting and not some sports writers?

Just a thought...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
Crash
Its Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
What if the MVP was achieved by the NBA players voting for the player they think is best? Then, at least it is your peers voting and not some sports writers?

Just a thought...

Ive always agreed with this.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdoc
Best player - best team - period.
Same goes for the coach of the year

The MVP award goes to the individual player in the NBA who demonstrates the greatest qualities of leadership, as evidence by his teams success in winning basketball games. That's my definition.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:24 PM   #23
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

I agree with "best player on of the best regular-season teams" - well, I don't agree with it, but that seems to be the standard from the past few years.

Coach of the year tends to be a surprise team (as Phil recently said) so Byron Scott is probably the front-runner there.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #24
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:

Just a thought...

That would not work due to internal pressures. For example, say David West thought Lebron was the best...but he feels an internal obligation to vote for Paul. Perhaps if the voting was strictly confidential it would overcome this issue.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #25
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
That would not work due to internal pressures. For example, say David West thought Lebron was the best...but he feels an internal obligation to vote for Paul. Perhaps if the voting was strictly confidential it would overcome this issue.

Even if the votes were completely anonymous as you suggested?

Also, could it not be argued that the current system is as susceptible what you described except that it is more arbitrary?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
Kobe4MVP
High School JV MVP

I don't think having the players vote would work - not necessarily because of 'pressure' to vote for your own guy, but because by voting for your own guy you know your team would garner some press, favoritism with the refs etc. which would directly benefit the team as a whole.

I think the coaches would be better, and just make it so they can't vote for a guy on their own team (like the all-star reserves). The only downside being you would never have a unanimous MVP b/c one coach couldn't vote for their man and would have to vote for someone else.
Kobe4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #27
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:

Just a thought...

that's how it was until 1982 actually.. then it got moved to the media... and interesting thing i saw someplace here on ISH is there is a coaches award for sporting news (i think it's sporting news) the coaches vote on who they think is the MVP and in the last 20 years or so the pick has only been different like 4 times... so the media doesn't screw it uo too bad... or they do and the coaches are just as lousy at it...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #28
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
that's how it was until 1982 actually.. then it got moved to the media... and interesting thing i saw someplace here on ISH is there is a coaches award for sporting news (i think it's sporting news) the coaches vote on who they think is the MVP and in the last 20 years or so the pick has only been different like 4 times... so the media doesn't screw it uo too bad... or they do and the coaches are just as lousy at it...lol

Very interesting... so if true, I guess everyone can get caught up in the hype of a particular player. I guess it does help to lobby then.

Just so everyone knows, personally, I don't care that much about the MVP award and who gets it. I am more interested in my team winning titles. But thats just me, I realize.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #29
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Very interesting... so if true, I guess everyone can get caught up in the hype of a particular player. I guess it does help to lobby then.

Just so everyone knows, personally, I don't care that much about the MVP award and who gets it. I am more interested in my team winning titles. But thats just me, I realize.

yeah me too but it is a nice feather in a players cap...

btw way guys..the main forums are such a troll haven right now i have asked a couple otherposters non lakers guys to feel free to post in the lakers forums and discuss the game and such... lets make sure we let them speak their minds and give them the respect we'd expect ourselves...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #30
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
yeah me too but it is a nice feather in a players cap...

btw way guys..the main forums are such a troll haven right now i have asked a couple otherposters non lakers guys to feel free to post in the lakers forums and discuss the game and such... lets make sure we let them speak their minds and give them the respect we'd expect ourselves...

well done gts... i could not agree more. if people want to talk honest hoop, i agree that they are more than welcome and we should all be civil and respectful and not let ourselves get caught up in the trolling and aggressive behavior in the mosh pit also known as the main forum. lol

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: