Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #751
KINGD
Banned

KINGD has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeJustNeedaRing
Why is this still debated? Kobe's team is better, Kobe is better, that makes him the mvp.
KINGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #752
Tainted Sword
World Champion WOOOO~!

Tainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat cool

RedBlackAttack- I don't think it's fair to compare Lebron's perimeter shooting percentage to guys like Arenas, when they take considerably more jumpshots than he does. Lebron seems to only take the jumper either when his team absolutely needs it, when itís a fairly easy shot, or when the lane is closed on him. Other than that, most of his field goals come from the paint compared to Arenas who most of his field goals come from the perimeter.
Tainted Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #753
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainted Sword
RedBlackAttack- I don't think it's fair to compare Lebron's perimeter shooting percentage to guys like Arenas, when they take considerably more jumpshots than he does. Lebron seems to only take the jumper either when his team absolutely needs it, when itís a fairly easy shot, or when the lane is closed on him. Other than that, most of his field goals come from the paint compared to Arenas who most of his field goals come from the perimeter.
62% of LeBron's FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07CLE13A.HTM

So, in fact, most of LeBron's FGAs are jumpers, although that number is somewhat low in comparison to some of these other guys.

Let's do a quick comparison...

65% of Wade's FGAs are jumpers (not much of a difference).
http://www.82games.com/0708/07MIA5A.HTM

71% of Jamison's FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07WAS9A.HTM

80% of Arenas' FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07WAS1A.HTM

So, while you are right that those guys do use jumpshots for the majority of their FGAs, LeBron (surprisingly) takes more jumpshots than any other kind of FGA.

Again, he and Wade are very close in percentage of jumpshots taken in contrast to other attempts, but LeBron makes his jumpers at a higher rate. Now... I'm not saying that Wade is a great jumpshooter, but I do think there is an assumption by most that Wade has a better shot than LeBron. The statistics don't support that.

Your point holds true with Jamison and Arenas. They do take a considerably higher percentage jumpers in comparison to other kinds of FGAs.

Frankly, I just love studying 82games.com. It is such an unbelievable source of interesting numbers and statistics.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #754
Tainted Sword
World Champion WOOOO~!

Tainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
62% of LeBron's FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07CLE13A.HTM

So, in fact, most of LeBron's FGAs are jumpers, although that number is somewhat low in comparison to some of these other guys.

Let's do a quick comparison...

65% of Wade's FGAs are jumpers (not much of a difference).
http://www.82games.com/0708/07MIA5A.HTM

71% of Jamison's FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07WAS9A.HTM

80% of Arenas' FGAs are jumpers.
http://www.82games.com/0708/07WAS1A.HTM

So, while you are right that those guys do use jumpshots for the majority of their FGAs, LeBron (surprisingly) takes more jumpshots than any other kind of FGA.

Again, he and Wade are very close in percentage of jumpshots taken in contrast to other attempts, but LeBron makes his jumpers at a higher rate. Now... I'm not saying that Wade is a great jumpshooter, but I do think there is an assumption by most that Wade has a better shot than LeBron. The statistics don't support that.

Your point holds true with Jamison and Arenas. They do take a considerably higher percentage jumpers in comparison to other kinds of FGAs.

Frankly, I just love studying 82games.com. It is such an unbelievable source of interesting numbers and statistics.
Well, I agreed with you on Wade from the beginning. He’s a streaky perimeter shooter. Tbh, i'm quite surprised 62% of Lebron's shots are jumpers. =)

And yes, 82games is paradise for all hardcore basketball fans!

Last edited by Tainted Sword : 03-11-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Tainted Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 PM   #755
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
And yes, 82games is paradise for all hardcore basketball fans!
that's right!
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #756
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Nice game by the Lakers tonight. I think they're on cruise control though, no D for the past 5 games or so.

Kobe had a nice statline too:

34/7/7/4 on 12/20 shooting
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #757
Justinxpx109
Serious playground baller

Justinxpx109 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell
Nice game by the Lakers tonight. I think they're on cruise control though, no D for the past 5 games or so.

Yeah great game by Kobe but it's hard to use stats to say Kobe is better than Lebron. Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.
Justinxpx109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #758
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinxpx109
Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.
Yes but I didn't use it to compare to LeBron.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #759
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenneBell

Kobe played well tonight. I watched the fourth quarter. He did a good job of distributing and played solid defense. I think six of those 34 came in the final 40 seconds when the Raptors had to foul, though. Still, he had a nice final quarter.

I commented on it in the game thread, but I'll say it again here... Kobe has really become a midrange shooter at this point in his career. He has to really make a conscious effort, if he has a mis-match, to drive to the basket. His game is almost strictly jumpers, at this point.

I don't completely understand it, because it seems like he still has the burst to get by most defenders, but he chooses to take mostly jumpers.

Maybe he is just preparing for his eventual decline and transforming his game now, rather than later. There was a time when Kobe didn't even think about it... he was attacking the hoop every time he caught the ball, unless the defender was playing off of him.

Now, it seems to be the exact opposite. Unless the defense forces him to drive, he is going to take a jumper.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #760
KINGD
Banned

Not really. Kobe has always been a mid-range type of guy. Even in his young days.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #761
KINGD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinxpx109
Yeah great game by Kobe but it's hard to use stats to say Kobe is better than Lebron. Lebron gets this kind of stats on a regular basis.

Kobe got 30/7/6/2/1 for a WHOLE SEASON before.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #762
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I commented on it in the game thread, but I'll say it again here... Kobe has really become a midrange shooter at this point in his career. He has to really make a conscious effort, if he has a mis-match, to drive to the basket. His game is almost strictly jumpers, at this point.

I don't completely understand it, because it seems like he still has the burst to get by most defenders, but he chooses to take mostly jumpers.
it's called saving yourself for the playoffs and the big games to come...
he logs fairly heavy minutes and gives alot of effort on D so he has to slack on something, so if your jumper is falling like it was tonight then do that and save the energy... plus i'l add his finger is subjected to much less swatting and such when he shoots the jumpers...

if the jumper is off he takes it to the basket, if the defense bodies up on him he'll take it to the basket, tonight he actually drove to the rim quite a bit in the first half and then the defense starting sagging off of him and giving him the jumper which made his life easy from the perimeter...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:24 AM   #763
KINGD
Banned

Kobe is now at 47% with 70% of his shots being jumpers.Nice.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #764
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGD
Kobe got 30/7/6/2/1 for a WHOLE SEASON before.
Which season was that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
it's called saving yourself for the playoffs and the big games to come...
We'll see... I'm anxious to see how Kobe plays in the post-season. I'm not just referring to tonight's game. It is something I have noticed all season long (and it is supported by 82games.com). Kobe does not drive to the hoop NEARLY as much as he did even two years ago.

I'll watch with great interested as the season kicks into another gear next month. I really want to see if this where Kobe's play is headed or if he is truly 'saving' his 'attacking' style for the biggest stage.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #765
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGD
Kobe is now at 47% with 70% of his shots being jumpers.Nice.
Really? His shooting percentage shot up from 46.4% to 47% after a 12-20 performance from the field? That doesn't seem possible.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: