Page 52 of 80 FirstFirst ... 2424950515253545562 ... LastLast
    Superstar

Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

exact numbers in 02-03

30.0/6.9/5.9/2.2/0.8 ... 45.1% FG

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...DMVbqI3LmkvLYF
    Last edited by hotsizzle; 03-12-2008 at 01:58 AM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    well look at it like this, he is two years older now and has a lot of miles on those legs, it's only wise to shoot the jumper and avoid the pounding if you can...plus he hasn't missed a game this year

kobes been in the league alot of years now 12 to be exact. trust me when lebrons been in the league 12 years he'll be a little more thoughful of what he subjects his body too, add kobe's has had a couple knee surgeries and still logs alot of minutes and is looking at being ready to hopefully go deep into the playoffs..
    This is what I was implying in my previous posts. Although he is still young, I believe we are starting to see some of that mileage have an effect on Kobe's game.

Don't get me wrong... I expect the same to happen to Bron and the others. These guys that go straight from high school to the NBA are going to have an entirely different arc on their careers than the guys that came into the league at 22 or 23.

Kobe is still pretty young in age, but you only have so many 82 game seasons in your body. Age, really, has little to do with it.

I'm just wondering if this is the Kobe that we will see for the remainder of his career (including playoffs). Just how much more mileage does he have on those legs to be playing at the most elite level?

I don't know the answers... just asking the questions. I do think we will see Kobe's peak years come to an end by his early 30s, though. As a matter of fact, I can't help but wonder if we have already seen the 'peak' of Bryant, as far as individual dominance goes.

Obviously, he is playing much better in other areas (basketball IQ, sharing the ball, picking his spots, better shot selection), but is he reaching the stage where his absolute best, as an individual, is behind him?

I don't know... I guess we'll just have to see.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 03-12-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Rounding up from 30.8 to 31 is reasonable. Rounding up from 46.4% to 47% is not. In this instance, you are supposed to 'round down,' in fact.

I guess... If, once again, you round up EVERY statistical category. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but his shooting percentage was not all that great that season (could be wrong... going off the top of my head).
    Er I'm pretty sure after tonights 12/20 he's at 46.6. Which is rounded to 47%.
    Er sorry but the majority of people DO round up. Its .1 for Gods sake.Christ.
    Kobe that year had percantages of 45% from field 38% from3 and 86% from line.Very solid.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsizzle
    exact numbers in 02-03

30.0/6.9/5.9/2.2/0.8 ... 45.1% FG

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/...DMVbqI3LmkvLYF
    45% isn't bad. Not great but not bad and certainly not his worst shooting season.

That is a LeBron-esque statline for a season (except the shooting percentage, though his foul shooting was far superior, I'm sure).

Good High School Starter

He also made 1st team All NBA- defensive team. Wow. That was a nice season.

Quote Originally Posted by KINGD
    He also made 1st team All NBA- defensive team. Wow. That was a nice season.
    No doubt that it was a great statistical season.

It sort of puts into perspective just how unique this season LeBron is having, though.

31/8+/7+/2/1 on 49% shooting and playing defense good enough to be considered for the All-NBA defensive team.

Plus, the Cavs are 10 games over .500 and 17 games over .500 in games that LeBron plays in... that is pretty good.

Good High School Starter

No doubt that it was a great statistical season.

It sort of puts into perspective just how unique this season LeBron is having, though.

31/8+/7+/2/1 on 49% shooting and playing defense good enough to be considered for the All-NBA defensive team.

Plus, the Cavs are 10 games over .500 and 17 games over .500 in games that LeBron plays in... that is pretty good.

College star

45% isn't bad. Not great but not bad and certainly not his worst shooting season.

That is a LeBron-esque statline for a season (except the shooting percentage, though his foul shooting was far superior, I'm sure).
    His TS% that season is equal to that of Bron this year.
    Also you have to consider Kobe played legit All-Defensive 1st team defense.

World Champion WOOOO~!

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    well look at it like this, he is two years older now and has a lot of miles on those legs, it's only wise to shoot the jumper and avoid the pounding if you can...plus he hasn't missed a game this year

kobes been in the league alot of years now 12 to be exact. trust me when lebrons been in the league 12 years he'll be a little more thoughful of what he subjects his body too, add kobe's has had a couple knee surgeries and still logs alot of minutes and is looking at being ready to hopefully go deep into the playoffs..
    This is true, Kobe hasn't forgotten to drive, he just only does it when it's absolutely needed. Take the Phx and dallas game for example, when it mattered, he pounded the paint at every chance.

Both teams played hard 2LeTTeRS KD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    His TS% that season is equal to that of Bron this year.
    Also you have to consider Kobe played legit All-Defensive 1st team defense.
    Wasn't that the year he bulked up to 230? If so his defensive selection wasn't all that legit. He was too heavy to be as effective as normal defensively, and thats the reason he never tried to play at that weight again. Unfortunately there are no elite defenders among starting guards and because of that he's a shoe-in every year.

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
    Wasn't that the year he bulked up to 230? If so his defensive selection wasn't all that legit. He was too heavy to be as effective as normal defensively, and thats the reason he never tried to play at that weight again. Unfortunately there are no elite defenders among starting guards and because of that he's a shoe-in every year.
    No, he was bulked up from about 05-07. I don't know how you can't call Kobe an elite defender this year. Since the AS break he's been averaging over 2.5 steals and playing lockdown D on almost every SG they've played.

Quote Originally Posted by KenneBell
    No, he was bulked up from about 05-07. I don't know how you can't call Kobe an elite defender this year. Since the AS break he's been averaging over 2.5 steals and playing lockdown D on almost every SG they've played.
    I was not talking about this year, and even though Kobe has added some weight in the last few season's he's nowhere near as heavy as he was a few years back. The only thing I can't remember is was the season I have in mind the 2002-03 season or the 2004-05 year (he got heavier for both but in one his defense was really affected, may have been 2004-05 with that being his first without Shaq). And as far as my original post it was about the 02-03 season, not this season.

few things.....

lmao, who the hell rounds up from 46.4 to 47?

the kobe bulk up seasom im pretty sure was 03 and it was dramatic, hes since slimed down again.

last seasons all defense selection was BY HIS OWN ADMISSION a farce, kobe frequently admited to being less focused deffensivly beacuse of the load he had to carry on offense last year and yet somehow he was voted all defensive first team

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    few things.....

the kobe bulk up seasom im pretty sure was 03 and it was dramatic, hes since slimed down again.

last seasons all defense selection was BY HIS OWN ADMISSION a farce, kobe frequently admited to being less focused deffensivly beacuse of the load he had to carry on offense last year and yet somehow he was voted all defensive first team
    He's at 46.6 which is rounded up to 47%. * sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by ukplayer4
    few things.....

Thanks I couldn't remember that. Makes sense that it hurt him the most in 03 because I remember Tony Parker giving the Lakers fits that year. They were used to putting Kobe on quick PGs and him having the quickness to stop them but that season with the extra muscle it didn't work out.