Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 04-01-2008, 01:40 PM   #1156
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron James vs Kobe Bryant, in the season, in MVP talk, more

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEEKEND DIME

Paul has to win this thing if the Hornets finish with the best overall record in the West.

Has to.

Yet they put Kobe at No. 1? Give Kobe credit for wins in Utah and Dallas, but ignore losses in Charlotte and Memphis?
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #1157
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I get the sense that the voters take the totality of the season into consideration...not just the final weeks.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #1158
kgisbigticket
Banned

kgisbigticket has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts

Does Dirk or any of these analysts know that Kobe shoots a worse fg% than his team?

I didn't think so.
kgisbigticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #1159
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
I get the sense that the voters take the totality of the season into consideration...not just the final weeks.
I thought that's what MVP is supposed to be about. Play over the entire season.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #1160
KenneBell
What set you claim?

KenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation hereKenneBell has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisbigticket
Does Dirk or any of these analysts know that Kobe shoots a worse fg% than his team?

I didn't think so.
Do they care?

I doubt it.
KenneBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #1161
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgisbigticket

I didn't think so.

did YOU know that Kobe is tied for the highest fg% amongst perimeter players? and that the only guys with higher fg% are the bigs... as they SHOULD be (esp since Kobe hand-feeds them layups).

I didn't think so. class dismissed.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #1162
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

fwiw, a brief comparison of teammate health:

CP3 70 (out of 72 games played)
West 66
Peja 67
Chandler 69
MoPete 66

Kobe 74 (out of 74)
Gasol 19
Bynum 35
Odom 69
Fisher 74
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #1163
~LA's finest~
I hit open 5-footers

~LA's finest~ has an OK reputation so far

Kobe will lose either way in the minds of certain fans, if the voters vote for him...a lot of the posters here will put an asterisk beside his name, claiming Paul should have won it etc. Although I would really like to know three things.

A) How exactly has Paul played better then Kobe this season?
B) Where would New Orleans be in the standings if they missed West & Chandler for the same duration of time as LA lost Gasol & Bynum.
C) Would Paul get the surgery on his pinky or sacrifice his body for the good of the team?

On the other hand, there are just as many if not more reasons for Paul to receive the award, however since Kobe is a household name in the NBA...unless something dramatic happens, like he gets suspended, finishes the year off on a bad note or his team struggles...he will more then likely receive the award regardless if NO's finished 1 or 2 games ahead of LA.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two teams success, when one has been hit with so many more injuries then the other. Although West missed a few games as well.

With West: 46-20
Without West: 4-2

I mean their starters missed a total of 20 games this season, Laker's starters missed a total of 54 games. (Pau missed 10 games for us, Bynum 39, Odom 5) That's nearly triple the amount of games our starters missed in cmparison to NO's, and yet we're still only 1 game behind them...not to mention our star is playing through an injury.

We're 5-5 without Pau and Bynum in the lineup, so our interior presence is non-existent, unless you consider Turiaf a real big man at 6'10.

During that time we beat teams like Dallas, Utah and Golden State (all on the road, against arguably the three toughest home teams in the league out west)...we had some disappointing losses, but we as Laker fans have come accustomed to those losses even at full strenght. I mean, people need to read between the lines sometimes.

The race is a lot closer then some people like to think between Kobe and Paul, Paul however had a lot more good fortune in terms of his team staying healthy. I could easily see us having close to 56 wins right now if Pau & Bynum missed as many game as Chandler & West, respectively.

Judging each teams respective records as the main determination on who deserves the MVP award is quite silly, it really shouldn't even be one of the decisive factors if you come to think of it.

This post is dedicated to all the people that claim "whoever finishes higher in the standings will win this award.

Last edited by ~LA's finest~ : 04-01-2008 at 04:01 PM.
~LA's finest~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #1164
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
fwiw, a brief comparison of teammate health:

CP3 70 (out of 72 games played)
West 66
Peja 67
Chandler 69
MoPete 66

Kobe 74 (out of 74)
Gasol 19
Bynum 35
Odom 69
Fisher 74

I think Bucher's "teammate help" argument is a really good argument. In fact it even persuaded me to be undecided and to be content as long as either Kobe or Paul wins it (whereas before, I believed that Paul had the slight edge and that Kobe could only win it ala Malone).

When the Lakers have played without both Gasol and Bynum (arguably their no.2 and no.3 players even though I have Lamar slightly > Bynum), they went 11-10 by my count. That leaves them at 0.524 without their two big men and 0.736 with at least one of them (and in fact they have yet to play in the same game). I'm going to assume Chandler and West are comparable to Gasol and Bynum (and I think most would consider them better). The Hornets are 0.694 right now and to my knowledge have never been without their no.2 and no.3 at the same time. To me this says that if Kobe had the supporting cast that Paul did (i.e. a healthy no.2 and no.3 at the same time for most of the season), they'd easily have a better record than the Hornets and thus a solid hold on the top of the Western conference. Therefore Kobe is easily as deserving of MVP. Of course most of this is speculation, but I think pretty well justified. However, I hate to penalize Paul for having healthy teammates. So I leave it as a toss up.
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #1165
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

I wonder if the voters, in general, take teammate health into consideration. Somehow I think it is not high on their list for assessment.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #1166
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

CP3 can now join Lebron and Kobe with his recent mediocre play.
6 for 19
missed BOTH clutch free throws in the final seconds.

at least they won the game.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #1167
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

I have a feeling voters are gonna pay A LOT of attention to LA vs NOH April 11th.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #1168
mjbulls23
6 World Championships

mjbulls23 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
I have a feeling voters are gonna pay A LOT of attention to LA vs NOH April 11th.

+1
mjbulls23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:34 PM   #1169
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
A) How exactly has Paul played better then Kobe this season?

tough question here. Paul isn't vocal or bossy like Kobe is, but he can make all of his teammates better with his passing alone. so Paul is a better leader by example, at least to me.

Quote:
B) Where would New Orleans be in the standings if they missed West & Chandler for the same duration of time as LA lost Gasol & Bynum.

lower than the #1 seed for sure. maybe in the 5th spot.

Quote:
C) Would Paul get the surgery on his pinky or sacrifice his body for the good of the team?

if the Hornets sucked. Paul would take surgery. but i think we would sacrifice it if New Orleans is playoff bound.
Noob Saibot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #1170
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
CP3 can now join Lebron and Kobe with his recent mediocre play.
6 for 19
missed BOTH clutch free throws in the final seconds.

at least they won the game.

I was wondering what effect this would have.

I have concluded that this year there is no stand out for MVP.
Especialy with the West so close, this regular season award won't be as meaninful as it should.

I am most interested in making an ISH playoff hero award.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: