Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-03-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
gts
Sons of Antartica

Default MVP Voting

This is not a discussion of who should win the MVP award.

This is meant to be a discussion of the parmameters used in determing the MVP.

What do you think is important and what you think is secondary to how a MVP should be determined. Stats, Records, Leadership?

I repeat.This is not a discussion of who should win the MVP award.
Ésta no es una discusión de quién debe ganar la concesión de MVP.
Ce n'est pas une discussion de qui devrait gagner la récompense de MVP.
これは最高殊勲選手賞を獲得するべきであるかだれがの議論でない。
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: MVP Voting

I think it should be based mostly on stats but not necessarily offensively.

Stats of how the team does with and without the player should definitely matter. How the player performs in close game situations.

If he has a bad offensive game, does he do other things to help the team win? Can this player defend to set an example for teammates?

Can he get teammates involved throughout the course of the game?

They need to be at least a 55% winning team in my book.

If they miss a stretch of games, they're team cannot do significantly better on both ends for everytime they are gone.

They have to be a leader on the court rather than vocally.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #3
alexthegod
Local High School Star

You bring up a great question and I have yet to figure out what the heck is being used by the voters lol.

It is so tough to answer.....In my opinion, its a player who can carry a team on his back and make his teammates better on both ends of the floor. A player who can will his team to victory. A player that at times is just unguardable and brings it every game. A player that strikes fear in the opponent.

It so hard to make this black and white, I'm not even sure my statement made much sense lol.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
netdoc
High School Varsity 6th Man

Best player - best team - period.
Same goes for the coach of the year
netdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:39 PM   #5
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

The Team: 50 win minimum, must be drastically better with you then with out you.

Player: Great stats, Improves the quality around himself, Plays both aspects of the game offense as well as Defense at high levels.. [sorry bruce bown and paul pierce]

and when you have multiple guys like this you look at which conference the player is in and what his record is, push comes to shuv then you look at the best record..
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Crash
Its Showtime

I think Kobe should win the MVP....

IM KIDDING!!!!

Seriously, The criteria seems to change every year... one year its a playmaker, (Nash), one year its the best player on the best team (Dirk), one year its the player "most valuable to his team" and one year its the "Best player in the league, period"

An argument can be made for all, personally they should just change it to a MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER award and give it to the best player statistically.

I.E. If a player averages 35 ppg like Kobe did he should win it, and if a player is a walking triple double on a crap team (leBron) he should win it, etc.

Quit dissecting the wording of all of it and give it to the best player.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

In my opinion all the suggestions are proper criterias to evaluate the MVP.

I for one dont care which one in particular is used. The thing that irritates me, is that those paramiters are never set on concrete. I think thats on purpose... to able to use what ever one personally feels (the voters) with out being wrong...

But again in my opinion, I would prefer that the meaning of "MVP" be set in stone, so that it could be understood who best fits the description according to the award givers.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
alexthegod
Local High School Star

After thinking about this for a little bit, I think I need to add that the player must make his team great/elite. Making a bad team good, isn't good enough im my opinion.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

This is probably the thing that frustrates many people the most... what criteria are used for the MVP award. Its clear that there is a LOT of subjectivity involved and that is where the award falls short.

I could argue many of the past MVP's just based on the subjectivity alone, and nobody could 100% disagree with me because there are no "rules" to the game.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #10
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
An argument can be made for all, personally they should just change it to a MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER award and give it to the best player statistically.
here's my problem with that... there already is a scoring title, there's a DPOY award, there's all NBA teams..all of those are individual awards like a "MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER" award would be... I like that the MVP can be won by a guy like Nash one year and a powerhouse like Shaq another... I'd hate to see the award given to a player whose team misses the playoffs but because he puts up the statline he is the winner...

each season is different and some years you have a guy like Nash doing more than just scoring to elevate his team and other years your going to have a shaq type who can put the team on his back and carry them to victory...

good discussion gang..keep it up
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

I'm curious what is/are the current criteria?
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #12
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
I'm curious what is/are the current criteria?

nobody knows, thats the problem lol
Old 03-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
lakers_fan4life
Serious playground baller

Personally i think the MVP should come out after the NBA finals thats my opinion but anyway the MVP should just go to the Most Valuble Player haha i mean thats what it is the most valuble player to their team, the league, and just over all.........PLease NBA GET THE MVP AWARD RIGHT THIS TIME AND SET SOME KIND OF STANDARDs FOR THIS AWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!
lakers_fan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #14
Crash
Its Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
here's my problem with that... there already is a scoring title, there's a DPOY award, there's all NBA teams..all of those are individual awards like a "MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER" award would be... I like that the MVP can be won by a guy like Nash one year and a powerhouse like Shaq another... I'd hate to see the award given to a player whose team misses the playoffs but because he puts up the statline he is the winner...

each season is different and some years you have a guy like Nash doing more than just scoring to elevate his team and other years your going to have a shaq type who can put the team on his back and carry them to victory...

good discussion gang..keep it up
If you are truely the Most Outstanding Player your team must have at least made the playoffs. One year Nash is more outstanding than Kobe based on HIS stats. Assist to turnover ratio, scoring, etc.

If DWhistle was averaging 35.5 ppg this season im betting Miami would be in the playoff picture.

The Canadian Football League (Up in my area WAY up in Canada) does this... they announce each team's nomination for MOP and during the Championship week they narrow it down to 2 and finally pick a winner. You never hear an argument about it, although it usually goes to the QB of one of the teams in the big game... thats just how it works out in an 8 team league.

However, I dont see a problem with the writers nominating 16 players for Most Outstanding player and cutting it down to 4 at the start of the playoffs... then handing it out before (or after) the NBA finals.
Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #15
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

I think its gotta be a a more balanced combo of winning and plying great. Right now, i think is too oriented on how well the team is doing. I do think this has to be considered when deciding the MVP though. Just not with as much emphasis as it is having. It seems to me the main criteria is having one of the best records in the league (dirk), with less emphasis of how the individual player has played. I give the MVP to Nash the 1st year he won, but not the 2nd.

I dont think it would be right a player got an MVP and miss the playoffs. I think you have to lead your team to some level of success to win the MVP, but not necessarily the best record. Say you have a crap team and lead them to 45-50 wins. If that player had an incredible season, while leading them to the playoffs on a shyt team, i dont see why they shouldnt be considered as one of the top contenders for the MVP. I think they just need to put a little more weight on other circumstances other than just leading your team to the best record.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: