Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gerald Green?

It probably can't hurt to sign Gerald Green to a nonguaranteed deal, if possible. And if he hurts the team in any way, immediately cut him.

Though, the way all these teams dump him, maybe that's a sign he's years from helping anyone
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:41 PM   #17
millencolin735
Decent playground baller

millencolin735 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
So why should the Lakers be signing anyone that has been waived by a team today? How can anyone say that they could add significant value when the Lakers already play 9-10 players deep WITHOUT Bynum and Ariza in the lineup? And you want to assimilate them into the lineup with the Triangle in what, less than 20 games or so???

I don't get people's logic... it seems that whenever a player is waived from another team, these threads pop up saying we have to get that player. Why do you want someone else's left over trash?????

My apologies, but I just don't get it.

I never said bring this guy in to help us this year, I said bring him in and develope him, how can it possibly hurt to bring in a potential star, after being traded twice and waived once, he really has no leverage to be acting out, or causing problems. How can developing a young talented player on stacked team hurt, how can he hurt chemistry at the end of our bench. He wouldnt be getting plugged into the starting line up or even the 2nd unit, I see no reason not to do this.
millencolin735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
It probably can't hurt to sign Gerald Green to a nonguaranteed deal, if possible. And if he hurts the team in any way, immediately cut him.

Though, the way all these teams dump him, maybe that's a sign he's years from helping anyone

That's exactly my thought. He has the athleticism. He just needs to sharpen his court skills. If he signed on with a team that was already deep and didn't need anything from him they could let him grow and in a few years he could potentially be a big piece of getting to the finals. That's why I think teams like LA, Detroit, San Antonio, Boston, etc should be looking at him. They already have their 8 or 9 guys who are going to get the majority of the minutes in the playoffs. He can practice with them and learn what it's like to make a push to the finals. Next year maybe they would have to send him to the development league for a while to get him some minutes. It's a long term thing I think. A team like that would have to sign him for at least the next 3 years.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #19
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Right now, for whatever reason, Coby Karl is the Lakers project. I don't think they want another young player at this point for the reasons I noted. And, I'd be willing to do an avatar bet that the Lakers agree with me. He may be athletic, but he's just not that talented and the Lakers have a lot of talent already.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #20
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't forget SoCal we have no first round pick next year so another project is not unreasonable and one with some NBA experience already is a bonus
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Right now, for whatever reason, Coby Karl is the Lakers project. I don't think they want another young player at this point for the reasons I noted. And, I'd be willing to do an avatar bet that the Lakers agree with me. He may be athletic, but he's just not that talented and the Lakers have a lot of talent already.

I would take the chance and pick up Green and to tell you more I would cut Coby Karl I think he's a scrub. Basketball skill I think Green would be a better project to have then Coby.
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:19 AM   #22
DfrumthaC
Can barely lace up my sneakers

DfrumthaC has an OK reputation so far

I have heard Mychal Thompson saying for weeks that the Lakers should try to acquire this guy. He mentioned it right after the all-star break. I remember when he got traded to Houston, he said too bad I guess the Lakers can't get him now. I say get him. He would be the perfect replacement of an athletic guard to replace Crittenton, especially since the Lakers don't have a first round pick next season.

Last edited by DfrumthaC : 03-11-2008 at 12:21 AM.
DfrumthaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #23
Kobe=MVP07`
Local High School Star

Kobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation hereKobe=MVP07` has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
actually this is one guy i wouldn't mind seeing the lakers pick up... he wouldn't be allowed on the playoff roster because of the waive date, but for next year he could be nice to have on the roster... he's real athletic, fast and moves his feet well... he's a long term project but for the 300k it would take to have the guy for this year make next year a team option it worth it just to be able to look at him next year in camp

cosign, pick him up for next year, and if proves valuable he will play, if he sees sasha ect playing better then him then he will have to improve to get PT

I LOVE HOW DEEP OUR TEAM IS!!! that people debate having him

BYNUM/ turiaf
Gasol/ Lamar ODOM
Ariza/Vlad/luke
Kobe/Sasha
Fish/Farmar

ya i have odom off the bench, but just b/c he makes our 2nd unit look like a starting lineup for a 30 win team!! and our SF is packed...
Kobe=MVP07` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 AM   #24
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far

Please god no. Ok, he can't get playing time on the young rebuilding T-Wolves, despite the fact he's very young. He gets waived from the Rockets and the Rockets go on an amazing streak. Doesn't this just scream "don't let this guy be on your team, there's obviously some kind of issue with him" Let some team like the Bobcats or Clips take a chance on him. Not us.
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #25
millencolin735
Decent playground baller

millencolin735 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Please god no. Ok, he can't get playing time on the young rebuilding T-Wolves, despite the fact he's very young. He gets waived from the Rockets and the Rockets go on an amazing streak. Doesn't this just scream "don't let this guy be on your team, there's obviously some kind of issue with him" Let some team like the Bobcats or Clips take a chance on him. Not us.

What chance? He cant hurt the team in anyway, he's not gonna be a vital, piece, and if he starts making waves, then cut him. It's not like he's the type of guy that can divide a locker room.
millencolin735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Please god no. Ok, he can't get playing time on the young rebuilding T-Wolves
you should really learn about a situation before you go blasting players...

he was waived by the rockets only because they had a full roster and needed size to replace yao when he went down...

green intiated the trade out of minnesota, he wanted out of minne because they didn't pick up his option. and doesn't want to enter free agency having not been able to get any playing time... not unlike deavan george in dallas... don't forget minnesota's gonna be making a run at a free agent or two this off season and is trying to clean the decks..

the rockets gave minnesota, snyder, a second round pick and cash to aquire him... they wanted him to learn behind t-mac but when yao went down all that went out the window...

Quote:
Lakers star Kobe Bryant said last season that Green "reminds me of myself when I first came into the league."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...wants_a_trade/

BTW snyder had only played in 9 games for the rockets...

so it's not like green is some club house cancer.. he's just young and inexperienced and needs to play on a team that doesn't need him to do anything else but learn the game

Last edited by gts : 03-11-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 AM   #27
Bruinlove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
you should really learn about a situation before you go blasting players...

he was waived by the rockets only because they had a full roster and needed size to replace yao when he went down...

green intiated the trade out of minnesota, he wanted out of minne because they didn't pick up his option. and doesn't want to enter free agency having not been able to get any playing time... not unlike deavan george in dallas... don't forget minnesota's gonna be making a run at a free agent or two this off season and is trying to clean the decks..

the rockets gave minnesota, snyder, a second round pick and cash to aquire him... they wanted him to learn behind t-mac but when yao went down all that went out the window...

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...wants_a_trade/

BTW snyder had only played in 9 games for the rockets...

so it's not like green is some club house cancer.. he's just young and inexperienced and needs to play on a team that doesn't need him to do anything else but learn the game
Look, if Gerald Green had so much potential he wouldnt have gotten cut from the rebuilding Timberwolves or the Rockets. If he was that good, these teams wouldn't let him go so easily. From the little I've seen of Green, he is a good shooter who doesn't care at all about defense and doesn't know how to play without the ball in his hands. He is an amazing dunker too.

Gerald Green has talent, but he doesn't have the intelligence or work ethic or mentality to do anything else. I'd rather trust Coby Karl as our last man than Gerald Green. Atleast Coby will work his ass off on the floor and knows what he's supposed to be doing.

I'm telling you all, Gerald Green is just going to be another of those Stromile Swift type guys. Every year people will be saying "This is the year Green Breaks out" and there will be an ISH poster who makes a username GreenShoFortyFo about him, who aknowledges that Green isn't that good.

Personally I don't want the Lakers to give this guy money.

Kobe said he reminds him of himself, but being a good player doesn't neccessarily mean you are a strong judge of talent. Just look at the GOAT, MJ!! He picked Kwame at #1 and Morrison at #3
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #28
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Look, if Gerald Green had so much potential he wouldnt have gotten cut from the rebuilding Timberwolves or the Rockets.

he got traded from the timberwolves because he asked to be,he did not get "cut" or waived, he was traded, get your facts straight... he was going to be a free agent and he told the wolves he had no intention of resingning with them... go do a search find the articles...

the reason he got waived by the rockets was only beacuase yao went down and the rockets needed to bring in some size for the playoff push...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #29
Bruinlove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
he got traded from the timberwolves because he asked to be,he did not get "cut" or waived, he was traded, get your facts straight... he was going to be a free agent and he told the wolves he had no intention of resingning with them... go do a search find the articles...

the reason he got waived by the rockets was only beacuase yao went down and the rockets needed to bring in some size for the playoff push...
He couldn't get playing time on the Wolves. And they aren't exactly deep. That personally tells me all I need to know about the dude, but people will be stubborn about him based on his athleticism and potential.

In ten years though, he'll just be seen as another Stromile Swift type. Just watch. He's not a Laker type player. The only team he has a chance to succeed on as he is, and barring alot of personal discipline and hard work, is the Warriors, but again he wouldn't get off the bench there either behind Pietrus, Barnes, Steven Jackson and Azubiuke
Old 03-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #30
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
He couldn't get playing time on the Wolves
12 minutes a game... 5 points 2.2 rebounds, 38% from 3pt land, 80% from the free throw line..don't forget he was injured at the start of the season and got pushed deep onto the bench.. then when he told the wolves he wouldn't be resigining they sat him down until he was traded
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: