Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-12-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far
Default Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

The one thing everyone can agree on about Odom is he doesn't have the championship mentality. He will be a liability in the playoffs and his chokery underpressure is dangerous to have on a contender, especially as he's a starter.

The lakers are deep at the 3, Odom, Ariza, Coby Karl, Radmonovic, and Luke.

Ariza is a strong starter quality SF who will add strong defense to our starting lineup, giving us one of the best perimeter D's in the league along with Kobe.

What that leaves us with down low is Turiaf, Mihm, Gasol, and Bynum for next year.

One player who I think will be perfect in the triangle is Kevin Love. He is undersized, yes, but he would make a great backup for Pau Gasol at the PF spot. He is perfect for our team in everyway, and the dude is tough too, and a winner, he will add some much needed intensity that the Lakers need.

I think Odom's value this year will be higher then it has for a long time, kind of like how Larry Hughes had inflated numbers with the Wizards and got Cleveland to pay him all that money. Do you think Odom is worth the value of the pick it would take to get Kevin Love or Brooke Lopez?
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #2
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

I'm not even thinking about roster moves until after the Laker season is over. The roster is set and there won't be anymore moves this season.

Besides this is the most exciting western conference race in a long, long time, lets enjoy this ride and worry about roster moves after the season.

Two things I will comment on however is that the Lakers can win a championship with Lamar and he is not a liability. Now that he is the 3rd option he is free to do what he does best, rebound, defend, assist, and score when its available. He no longer has to force his offense.

The more important question is will Bynum be able to come back and be effective for the playoffs?
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 AM   #3
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

I have actually seen Kevin Love play.. He is a very good player, but we are a team in need of a title right now, so Odom would be the best option.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #4
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kevin love is going to be an ok NBA player, his shortcomings will be exposed when he reaches the NBA though...just look to his performances against bigger players in the past..in the NBA he'll be a power forward and guys like odom will eat him for lunch
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Bruinlove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
kevin love is going to be an ok NBA player, his shortcomings will be exposed when he reaches the NBA though...just look to his performances against bigger players in the past..in the NBA he'll be a power forward and guys like odom will eat him for lunch
Read the post though. Look at the Dallas game, do you want to depend on that guy deep in a playoff game? Ariza would make a fine starter at the 3. Love would be a good backup bigman who is perfect for the triangle, who's outlet passing will give our 2nd unit another weapon, and he is tough and strong, a trait that is missing on the current Bynumless Lakers. He is smart and the best passing bigman in college right now as a freshman, and can hit the 20 footer with consistency. He is perfect for the triangle. He also still has a chance to grow, think that if he were 2 inches taller, people would be saying he had superstar potential and was a possible number 1 pick.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 AM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i'm not saying love won't be a good NBA player, but he's not going to be on lamars level... he lacks speed, he lack explosiveness, he's not really that good at running the floor...he's not athletic enough to gaurd small forwards and against the bigger power forwards like brand he's gonna get creamed..
i like love and root for ucla and watch alot of their games but dominating the pac 10 is alot different then playing in the NBA...
love will be a solid serviceable power forward in the nba but he's not going to ever be starter material on a team that's making runs deep into the playoffs...
add that i don't think trading any starter is worth it to have a shot at getting a mid round 1st round draft pick
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

I really dont see Kevin Love making a impact in the NBA, a role player at best.
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man

and1 has decent reputationand1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Read the post though. Look at the Dallas game, do you want to depend on that guy deep in a playoff game?.

the good thing about inconsistency is that sometimes he hits everything, which gives you a game or two also, other than that i agree the free throws in the mavs game were horrible, but you cant find good replacement easily for odom.

he isnt called 'potential' superstar for no reason...
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

magic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagic chiongson is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
I'm not even thinking about roster moves until after the Laker season is over. The roster is set and there won't be anymore moves this season.

i agree. lets see what happens in the playoffs first
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
i'm not saying love won't be a good NBA player, but he's not going to be on lamars level... he lacks speed, he lack explosiveness, he's not really that good at running the floor...he's not athletic enough to gaurd small forwards and against the bigger power forwards like brand he's gonna get creamed..
i like love and root for ucla and watch alot of their games but dominating the pac 10 is alot different then playing in the NBA...
love will be a solid serviceable power forward in the nba but he's not going to ever be starter material on a team that's making runs deep into the playoffs...
add that i don't think trading any starter is worth it to have a shot at getting a mid round 1st round draft pick

Agreed. Im not sure how Love will fare in the NBA. There are those types of players who excel in college but not in the NBA and I think he may be one of them. He will be solid, i think be similar to christian laettner. He would be do well in the triangle, but he will become a liability on defense against stronger more athletic bigs and he will be exposed.

Also, why does every other post about LO have to knock his desire to win. I recall, he probably played the best for us last year in the playoffs and was playing through a torn labrum. He really impressed me with his effort last seaosn during the payoffs and played through a very painful injury that limits what you can do on the court.

And how would we get that pick? LO makes 14 million and I would guess we would be taking on some ugly contracts. Not sure a team would be willing to send expirers AND draft rights to Love for LO. If anything we would likly have to take on a big contract with multiple years left.

LOS been playing well with Gasol, why not let see what unfolds?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
The one thing everyone can agree on about Odom is he doesn't have the championship mentality. He will be a liability in the playoffs and his chokery underpressure is dangerous to have on a contender, especially as he's a starter.

Ariza is a strong starter quality SF who will add strong defense to our starting lineup, giving us one of the best perimeter D's in the league along with Kobe.

What that leaves us with down low is Turiaf, Mihm, Gasol, and Bynum for next year.

One player who I think will be perfect in the triangle is Kevin Love. He is undersized, yes, but he would make a great backup for Pau Gasol at the PF spot. He is perfect for our team in everyway, and the dude is tough too, and a winner, he will add some much needed intensity that the Lakers need.

I think Odom's value this year will be higher then it has for a long time, kind of like how Larry Hughes had inflated numbers with the Wizards and got Cleveland to pay him all that money. Do you think Odom is worth the value of the pick it would take to get Kevin Love or Brooke Lopez?

PLEASE
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

PLEASE STOP TRYING TO TRADE LO7!!!!

HE FITS OUR SYSTEM PERFECTLY.....HE FILLS IN NICELY WHEN
A BIG GOES DOWN LIKE NOW WITH DREW....HE PRESENTS MAJOR
MATCHUP PROBLEMS WHEN HE PLAYS THE SF....HE IS A SOLID
DEFENDER....

WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man

and1 has decent reputationand1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
HE PRESENTS MAJOR
MATCHUP PROBLEMS WHEN HE PLAYS THE SF....HE IS A SOLID
DEFENDER....

WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

also true, he defends nowitzki superb
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

?

I must disagree.... LO was one of the only players last year to show up for the playoffs. He went up against marion head up, the suns best defender and burned him time and time again. the guy is a gamer.... and he was HURT!!! i dont see how he doesnt have a championship mentality. I love LO, but do agree he tends to disappear sometimes, but the guy will always give his all out on the court. plus he is a matchup nightmare as many laker fans have stated, he is unselfish, great team guy, the only prob i have with him is his inconsistency on offence. but he always hits the boards, always pushes the break, and gives the lakers a deadly frontcourt when bynum is back. dont trade LO until we see that he absolutely doesnt fit into the gasol, bynum mix. would be a drastic mistake. plus a draft pick is not enough. kevin love is okay, but the guy is like 6'8'', let him prove he can play with guys who are bigger and better and see how he fares.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
Bruinlove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by praneel
I must disagree.... LO was one of the only players last year to show up for the playoffs. He went up against marion head up, the suns best defender and burned him time and time again. the guy is a gamer.... and he was HURT!!! i dont see how he doesnt have a championship mentality. I love LO, but do agree he tends to disappear sometimes, but the guy will always give his all out on the court. plus he is a matchup nightmare as many laker fans have stated, he is unselfish, great team guy, the only prob i have with him is his inconsistency on offence. but he always hits the boards, always pushes the break, and gives the lakers a deadly frontcourt when bynum is back. dont trade LO until we see that he absolutely doesnt fit into the gasol, bynum mix. would be a drastic mistake. plus a draft pick is not enough. kevin love is okay, but the guy is like 6'8'', let him prove he can play with guys who are bigger and better and see how he fares.
Look, remember it was only 2 months ago we were all saying he was useless. What I'm saying is after this season we should trade him when his value is high. He constantly misses crucial late freethrows and cracks under pressure. The more pressure on Odom the more he cracks. Look at them giving up the 3-1 lead to the suns a couple years back. You think that was Kobe's fault??

Odom's value is the highest it will be for awhile. We are deep at the 3 and I like Ariza starting over Odom, mainly due to Ariza's strong defense, and Odom is more just a glue guy. Kevin Love would be a strong backup big that we need and his passing and shooting and BBall IQ makes him a perfect fit for our team. Odom looks good now, but he cracks when you need him most, especially with his free throw shooting. When the Lakers are rolling he looks amazing, but when the slightest hint of pressure comes, he folds. And I have no idea how you can say he gives his all everytime out on the floor! It's almost like he's bipolar sometimes how he loses focus and disapears on offense AND defense, compared to how well he plays sometimes! The guy isn't dependable while a guy like Kevin love, though he won't be a superstar, is tough and much more consistent and a perfect fit for our team as a backup PF.

I'm just saying we should get rid of Odom while his value is still high before it sinks down again.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: