Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #16
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should We Trade Odom for A Draft Pick? Kevin Love Perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinlove
Look, remember it was only 2 months ago we were all saying he was useless. What I'm saying is after this season we should trade him when his value is high. He constantly misses crucial late freethrows and cracks under pressure. The more pressure on Odom the more he cracks. Look at them giving up the 3-1 lead to the suns a couple years back. You think that was Kobe's fault??

Odom's value is the highest it will be for awhile. We are deep at the 3 and I like Ariza starting over Odom, mainly due to Ariza's strong defense, and Odom is more just a glue guy. Kevin Love would be a strong backup big that we need and his passing and shooting and BBall IQ makes him a perfect fit for our team. Odom looks good now, but he cracks when you need him most, especially with his free throw shooting. When the Lakers are rolling he looks amazing, but when the slightest hint of pressure comes, he folds. And I have no idea how you can say he gives his all everytime out on the floor! It's almost like he's bipolar sometimes how he loses focus and disapears on offense AND defense, compared to how well he plays sometimes! The guy isn't dependable while a guy like Kevin love, though he won't be a superstar, is tough and much more consistent and a perfect fit for our team as a backup PF.

I'm just saying we should get rid of Odom while his value is still high before it sinks down again.

I understand where you're comming from. But as I stated in my above post...how would this work? LO makes 14 mil. Are we willing to take on a bad contract to get love?....because I dont see the team who drafts him sending us their expiring contracts as well. Do you have any trade ideas that make sense and would work?
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #17
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Look, remember it was only 2 months ago we were all saying he was useless.
no actually it was a small group of posters (some of them chronic trolls) that have never liked odom that wanted him traded...
if you search the froum for one of the myriad of threads created about this subject you'll find alot more supporters then not...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Pardon me for saying it, but L.O. needs all of our support at this time. He is playing with high basketball I.Q. He is scoring a splendid percentage, and is not taking awful shots or making horrid decisions as he has done in the past.

Plus, regardless of what may occur in the future, at this time he is a Laker and will be so at least till the draft occurs.

Now is it just me or is looking at Love unrealistic and an action in regression?

First we dont even know what will occur with Love, and why is he the top option?

Also, if the Lakers are looking to win now with talent like Gasol, Bryant, and Bynum.. I would think that to seek out someone who will not contribute greatly in the present is a bad idea.

Last I heard, the Lakers are looking not to rebuild but to win championships....
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The one thing everyone can agree on about Odom is he doesn't have the championship mentality. He will be a liability in the playoffs and his chokery underpressure is dangerous to have on a contender, especially as he's a starter.

The lakers are deep at the 3, Odom, Ariza, Coby Karl, Radmonovic, and Luke.

Ariza is a strong starter quality SF who will add strong defense to our starting lineup, giving us one of the best perimeter D's in the league along with Kobe.

What that leaves us with down low is Turiaf, Mihm, Gasol, and Bynum for next year.

One player who I think will be perfect in the triangle is Kevin Love. He is undersized, yes, but he would make a great backup for Pau Gasol at the PF spot. He is perfect for our team in everyway, and the dude is tough too, and a winner, he will add some much needed intensity that the Lakers need.

I think Odom's value this year will be higher then it has for a long time, kind of like how Larry Hughes had inflated numbers with the Wizards and got Cleveland to pay him all that money. Do you think Odom is worth the value of the pick it would take to get Kevin Love or Brooke Lopez?

I don't think I have ever disagreed with a post more than I disagree with this one. I don't even know where to begin...so... I will start and end it with two simple thoughts:
1. we are trying to win it ALL now. A rookie will not make a significant impact for a couple years.
2. Odom is playing his best ball right now. He always steps up in the playoffs. Lets see how he adapts to the 3 slot.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
I don't think I have ever disagreed with a post more than I disagree with this one. I don't even know where to begin...so... I will start and end it with two simple thoughts:
1. we are trying to win it ALL now. A rookie will not make a significant impact for a couple years.
2. Odom is playing his best ball right now. He always steps up in the playoffs. Lets see how he adapts to the 3 slot.
Yes let's see him crumble in the playoffs. Then you will understand better where I am coming from.
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #21
ShowtymeCA2NC
Serious playground baller

ShowtymeCA2NC has an OK reputation so far

Hells nah,no disrespect Bruin fan but Love wont do a damn thing on the next level..damn good college player though..kinda like Tyler Hansborough
ShowtymeCA2NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Yes let's see him crumble in the playoffs. Then you will understand better where I am coming from.

You speak of the playoffs where he shows the most desire and determination?

Just because he has not won anything in the postseason, does it mean that he does not elevate his game. You need to revisit the last two first round exits of the last two seasons.. they will show you how L.O. gives it his all, and how even with a hanging arm, he still shows himself determined..

Seeing how well he has been playing of late, it is a good sign that he may be productive in the post season. Productive because he will finally not be the number one or two guy, and will have less focus from the other team. I believe that he may be the forgot player that will take advantage, by cutting and slashing, and receiving passes from KB and Gasol who will be double teamed...

L.O. is capable, and regardless.. your stuck with him on the team if only for the rest of this season and the post season.. so in my mind I would be cheering him on, and not thinking otherwise
Old 03-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #23
alexthegod
Local High School Star

alexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralexthegod is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Even if you believe Odom is not the answer at the 3 how is trading him for a rookie backup 4 going to improve the team?

I would not trust the starting role to Ariza, Walton, or Vlad. None of those guys can do what Odom can do.

Ariza is not ready to play 30-35 min a game and impact a game like Odom can.

How is Love going to make more of an impact backing up the 4 spot than Turiaf or Mihm?

Then don't forget you have to take back around 11 mil in salary when trading odom, so unless the recieveing team has that kind of cap space, you can't trade straight up for a draft pick.

And lastly....have you been watching Odom play since Gasol came to town? He's puting up 14.9/11.4/4.0 while shooting 62% from the floor.

Moving him from the #2 scoring option to the #3 scoring option has made all the difference in the world. When Odom doesn't have to force his offensive game, he's a different player.

Back to the more important topic, the roster is set until the season is over. For the first time in his Laker career Odom will enter the postseason as a #3 option. For the first time since Shaq/Kobe we have a ligit change to do some damage in the post season.

Let's see how it plays out and then talk roster moves.
I predict you will have to eat your words
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:28 PM   #24
ZeN
RichardRiderLives

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexthegod
Even if you believe Odom is not the answer at the 3 how is trading him for a rookie backup 4 going to improve the team?

I would not trust the starting role to Ariza, Walton, or Vlad. None of those guys can do what Odom can do.

Ariza is not ready to play 30-35 min a game and impact a game like Odom can.

How is Love going to make more of an impact backing up the 4 spot than Turiaf or Mihm?

Then don't forget you have to take back around 11 mil in salary when trading odom, so unless the recieveing team has that kind of cap space, you can't trade straight up for a draft pick.

And lastly....have you been watching Odom play since Gasol came to town? He's puting up 14.9/11.4/4.0 while shooting 62% from the floor.

Moving him from the #2 scoring option to the #3 scoring option has made all the difference in the world. When Odom doesn't have to force his offensive game, he's a different player.

Back to the more important topic, the roster is set until the season is over. For the first time in his Laker career Odom will enter the postseason as a #3 option. For the first time since Shaq/Kobe we have a ligit change to do some damage in the post season.

Let's see how it plays out and then talk roster moves.
I predict you will have to eat your words

Good Points, I agree with it all
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #25
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Like he crumbled the last two playoffs? Perhaps you should take a closer look at his playoff efforts. And dont forget, even WITH Gasol, Odom remains our best rebounder.

He will be playing the 3, which is not good, imo. THAT is the issue.
The idea of trading a proven vet for a young kid, when we are trying to win it all (and keep Kobe happy) is just insane.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:48 AM   #26
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

LOL!

ODOM >>>> KEVIN LOVE are you freaking kidding me hahahahahaha
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
Bruinlove
Banned

Bruinlove has an OK reputation so far

Did you see the recent Mavs game? That was the last big team we played. Odom played ok until the 4th quarter, when he did everything he possibly could to hand the game to Dallas including missing 2 freethrows that would have sealed the win and letting dirk get the wideopen game tying 3. That was pressure and that's just in the regular season! The playoffs against the Suns, there wasn't really that much pressure on him because the Lakers weren't expected to win. But when he feels pressure, he chokes, chokes like Jenna Jameson. I don't think Love will be better than Odom. But what he is is a guy perfect for our system. We would do well to pick him up, and the only guy on our team who I think would be worth parting with would be Odom.

You tell the most about a player not how he plays when times are good, but how he plays when times are bad. Odom has proven time and time again that you can't depend on him in the hard times, and he is even a liability
Bruinlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:28 AM   #28
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

um maybe cause he shut dirk down for 3 quarters, something that no one else could have done...it takes a toll and you get tired, and when theres no one that can defend him but you what are you going to do??
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 AM   #29
LakerRaider
Great college starter

LakerRaider has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
The one thing everyone can agree on about Odom is he doesn't have the championship mentality. He will be a liability in the playoffs and his chokery underpressure is dangerous to have on a contender, especially as he's a starter.

The lakers are deep at the 3, Odom, Ariza, Coby Karl, Radmonovic, and Luke.

Ariza is a strong starter quality SF who will add strong defense to our starting lineup, giving us one of the best perimeter D's in the league along with Kobe.

What that leaves us with down low is Turiaf, Mihm, Gasol, and Bynum for next year.

One player who I think will be perfect in the triangle is Kevin Love. He is undersized, yes, but he would make a great backup for Pau Gasol at the PF spot. He is perfect for our team in everyway, and the dude is tough too, and a winner, he will add some much needed intensity that the Lakers need.

I think Odom's value this year will be higher then it has for a long time, kind of like how Larry Hughes had inflated numbers with the Wizards and got Cleveland to pay him all that money. Do you think Odom is worth the value of the pick it would take to get Kevin Love or Brooke Lopez?

Interesting analysis and good post. I think everybody's forgetting about Lamar Odom's expiring contract after this season. Yes Kevin Love is a big threat down low, but what's the difference between him and other big men like J.P. Batista and Marcus Slaughter who didn't make it???

Keep Lamar Odom's contract. Even though he's very inconsistent but has been playing well, what's consistent about him is his expiring contract.

Quote:

Not necessarily, you don't know whether Ronny Turiaf or Chris Mihm will be re-signed. Furthermore, the Los Angeles Lakers might bring in a decent big man via trade or free agency.

Quote:

What team do you think the Lakers will trade with to get a decent draft pick??? Who do we trade for to match Lamar Odom's contract??? Is getting back contracts worse than Lamar Odom's contract actually worth Kevin Love??? I realize you're probably a big Bruin guy, but you have to consider what the Los Angeles Lakers (Lamar Odom's expiring contract) are actually giving up to get your guy, Kevin Love.
LakerRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #30
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Lamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamar Doom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

normally i try to compose well thought out, crafted posts that would seem to come from an intellegent, objective fan of the game. this however, will not be such a post. are you f*cking stupid? do you watch laker games? did you just start this season? lamar odom is an amazing talent and brings so many things to the laker team that i'm personally insulted by this post, i'mnot even going to make points, just shut up. i'm glad you read bill simmons or saw on espn that lamar is a choke job, i'm glad that you think we can trade odom and get some draft pick that will get us 8 more rings, i'm not glad however that i have to call myself a laker fan and be in the same company as you hacks that talk about trading such a rare player. a draft pick? what? stupid stupid stupid stupid robots with no understanding of 5 on 5 basketball. just stick to riding kobe's jock and talking about 'how great that play was" when he gambles for a steal and gets a breakaway dunk. trading odom is a busch league call.

15-10-5-1-1, one of the best passing and ball handling forwards in the nba, the best rebounder on the team, one of the personalities that has allowed the lakers to become who they are as a team. one of the best true 5 on 5 guys in the league. one of the most unselfish "stars" in the league, on a team with kobe bryant (how much sense can i make?). i'm so sick of listening to people say he's "inconsistent"- he's consistently good every night he brings so much to the game, he's the big intangible, the goods, he's not a huge scoring threat, he picks his spots. is he perfect? no. his free throws have been a joke lately, his jumper was shakey all season until recently, he gets lost out on the perimeter sometimes where he shouldn't be, he complains about calls (we have the most whiney team in the league, i'm going to smack sasha if i see him), he's not a guy you really count on to make shots in the clutch. I just don't know why it is always his name that comes up in this conversation or what player you think we're going to bring in that would possibly be an improvement on him, but i know that you're wrong and if they trade him you'll understand why.

Last edited by Lamar Doom : 03-13-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: