Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM   #31
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Yeah, who wouldnt rather be a Laker than a King.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #32
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurple
that's exactly right. so the issue is not really how MUCH we pay him, but for how LONG we are willing to pay it. we don't want to be paying him $10m when he is 35 years old.
we could do the thing when we pay him upfront like 10 mil n the salary goes down every year.
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #33
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
we could do the thing when we pay him upfront like 10 mil n the salary goes down every year.

I like that, but you don't see that structure very often...something like:
10/9/8/7/6. Such that we are paying him $6m when he is 34 or 35.
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 PM   #34
dblockallstars

Quote:
I like that, but you don't see that structure very often...something like:
10/9/8/7/6. Such that we are paying him $6m when he is 34 or 35.
yeah i think franchises want to give players the 6mil in the beginning n when they're 35 n hasbeensn making 10mil, trade their bloated contract to the knicks or blazers or something.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #35
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

That'd still be a lot for a 34 or 35 year old.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 PM   #36
dblockallstars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
That'd still be a lot for a 34 or 35 year old.

not compared 2 the roses or grants makin 15mil @ 35
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #37
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
not compared 2 the roses or grants makin 15mil @ 35
Yeah good point.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #38
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty
How much space are we gonna have after the season? I don't think its gonna be much after we signed Radman right?
*sighs*

The Lakers signed Radmanovic for the MLE - about 5.2 million per season, IIRC. Players under contract for the '07-'08 season and their salaries:

Kobe - 19,490,625
Lamar - 13,302,516
Kwame - 9,075,000
Radmanovic - 5,200,000 (Estimated)
Cook - 2,656,660 (4th year option on rookie contract)
Bynum - 2,172,000 (rookie contract)
Vujacic - 1,756,952 (rookie contract)
Farmar - 841,300 (rookie contract)
Turiaf - 770,610

Total: $55,265,663

NBA Salary Cap this season is what, about $52 million? Is it likely to jump up a huge amount next season? No. The simple answer is that the Lakers will not have any cap space in the '07 off-season. Oh, and their salaries for the 08-09 season? Currently about $47 million (again, not enough cap space to make a max offer). In other words, fellow Lakers fans, barring some sort of miraculous salary dump - which would have to be either Kwame or Odom for expiring contracts - and I'm guessing most of you would prefer Kwame - the Lakers aren't going to be able to make a free agent signing for more than the MLE until summer 2009 (when Odom's contract is up)!

Then again, I'm actually gratified to see this. At least it will force Laker management to stop pretending they'll make a miraculous Shaq-esque signing in '07 or '08 (a pipe dream anyway; did anyone actually think LeBron or Amare was going to come to L.A. "just because?" - it's all about money, especially early in a player's career, and he's not going to turn down an extra 20 million just to come to L.A. on his first big contract) and force management to try to find a way to improve via trade or drafting. I've been saying for a while that Laker management is making poor decisions by being afraid to pull the trigger on trades... but sometimes indecision is a bad decision!

The Lakers have committed several blunders with their cap management - they should have traded Divac (pre-retirement announcement) and George - who made a combined 10 million - last off-season to a team looking to dump salary. Yes, it would have caused them to acquire more long-term salary, but do you think we could have gotten a good player with a $10 million salary for expiring deals? Baron Davis, perhaps? Ditto the waiving of Brian Grant. If they had kept him, they would now have a $15-million dollar expiring contract to trade... that would have been pretty attractive to a lot of teams (and would have made it a LOT easier to match salary for the pipe dream KG trades). Gary Payton and Rick Fox for Chris Mihm and Marcus Banks was a great move - change out older parts on expiring salaries for young parts with a lot of potential (even if the trade later had to be re-worked and Banks pulled out of it) - why haven't we seen more of this?

Basically, the Lakers have had several chances to trade expiring contracts on mediocre to bad players to take on the long-term salary of a good player... and have passed each time. If Mihm and McKie are on the roster at the end of the season - and ESPECIALLY if Mihm isn't extended - it will be another example of the Lakers' front office being paralyzed with indecision, and I'll go from disappointed to pissed with Mitch Kupchak, Johnny Buss, and the gang.

So, let's keep it real. The Lakers have the MLE to work with in terms of free agency for at least the next two years. That means improvement must come from trades. Again, the only pieces we have that interest teams are Kobe, Odom, Bynum, and "expiring deals" (e.g., Mihm, McKie). Since we know Kobe isn't moving, and Odom and Bynum are only moving if we're getting KG or similar in return, let's concentrate our thoughts on "what can we get for our expiring contracts," okay? Please?

Last edited by Sound and Fury : 08-15-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Sound and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #39
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
"bleedinpurple" is a sac kings type name not laker...Lakers don't wear purple, correct me if i'm wrong, but they wear "forum blue"
It was "forum blue" back in the Jack Kent Cooke era, which ended in 1979 when he sold the team to Jerry Buss. Jack Kent Cooke during his entire tenure as owner specifically instructed all Lakers staffers - including Chick Hearn - to call it "forum blue" and never say "purple." My guess is that Chick Hearn still referred to it as "forum blue" from time to time in broadcasts years later out of habit, and that's where you heard it, but the team colors have usually been called "The Purple And Gold" for at least the past 10 years.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #40
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound and Fury
*sighs*

The Lakers signed Radmanovic for the MLE - about 5.2 million per season, IIRC. Players under contract for the '07-'08 season and their salaries:

Kobe - 19,490,625
Lamar - 13,302,516
Kwame - 9,075,000
Radmanovic - 5,200,000 (Estimated)
Cook - 2,656,660 (4th year option on rookie contract)
Bynum - 2,172,000 (rookie contract)
Vujacic - 1,756,952 (rookie contract)
Farmar - 841,300 (rookie contract)
Turiaf - 770,610

Total: $55,265,663

NBA Salary Cap this season is what, about $52 million? Is it likely to jump up a huge amount next season? No. The simple answer is that the Lakers will not have any cap space in the '07 off-season. Oh, and their salaries for the 08-09 season? Currently about $47 million (again, not enough cap space to make a max offer). In other words, fellow Lakers fans, barring some sort of miraculous salary dump - which would have to be either Kwame or Odom for expiring contracts - and I'm guessing most of you would prefer Kwame - the Lakers aren't going to be able to make a free agent signing for more than the MLE until summer 2009 (when Odom's contract is up)!

Then again, I'm actually gratified to see this. At least it will force Laker management to stop pretending they'll make a miraculous Shaq-esque signing in '07 or '08 (a pipe dream anyway; did anyone actually think LeBron or Amare was going to come to L.A. "just because?" - it's all about money, especially early in a player's career, and he's not going to turn down an extra 20 million just to come to L.A. on his first big contract) and force management to try to find a way to improve via trade or drafting. I've been saying for a while that Laker management is making poor decisions by being afraid to pull the trigger on trades... but sometimes indecision is a bad decision!

The Lakers have committed several blunders with their cap management - they should have traded Divac (pre-retirement announcement) and George - who made a combined 10 million - last off-season to a team looking to dump salary. Yes, it would have caused them to acquire more long-term salary, but do you think we could have gotten a good player with a $10 million salary for expiring deals? Baron Davis, perhaps? Ditto the waiving of Brian Grant. If they had kept him, they would now have a $15-million dollar expiring contract to trade... that would have been pretty attractive to a lot of teams (and would have made it a LOT easier to match salary for the pipe dream KG trades). Gary Payton and Rick Fox for Chris Mihm and Marcus Banks was a great move - change out older parts on expiring salaries for young parts with a lot of potential (even if the trade later had to be re-worked and Banks pulled out of it) - why haven't we seen more of this?

Basically, the Lakers have had several chances to trade expiring contracts on mediocre to bad players to take on the long-term salary of a good player... and have passed each time. If Mihm and McKie are on the roster at the end of the season - and ESPECIALLY if Mihm isn't extended - it will be another example of the Lakers' front office being paralyzed with indecision, and I'll go from disappointed to pissed with Mitch Kupchak, Johnny Buss, and the gang.

So, let's keep it real. The Lakers have the MLE to work with in terms of free agency for at least the next two years. That means improvement must come from trades. Again, the only pieces we have that interest teams are Kobe, Odom, Bynum, and "expiring deals" (e.g., Mihm, McKie). Since we know Kobe isn't moving, and Odom and Bynum are only moving if we're getting KG or similar in return, let's concentrate our thoughts on "what can we get for our expiring contracts," okay? Please?

dude, that was quite an epic. unfortunately you missed the point of our conversation. we were, in fact, talking about "what can we get for our expiring contracts".
and by the way, the cap may be $52m, but the luxury tax threshold is about $62m.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:38 PM   #41
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
It was "forum blue" back in the Jack Kent Cooke era, which ended in 1979 when he sold the team to Jerry Buss. Jack Kent Cooke during his entire tenure as owner specifically instructed all Lakers staffers - including Chick Hearn - to call it "forum blue" and never say "purple." My guess is that Chick Hearn still referred to it as "forum blue" from time to time in broadcasts years later out of habit, and that's where you heard it, but the team colors have usually been called "The Purple And Gold" for at least the past 10 years.

they've been called 'Purple and Gold' at least since 1981.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #42
Sound and Fury
Verbosity Incarnate

Quote:
they've been called 'Purple and Gold' at least since 1981.
Not surprising - like I said, Cooke sold the team in 1979, so it makes sense that the switch happened then. I used 10 years as a VERY conservative estimate, but I've always* heard "Purple and Gold."

* I did hear Chick say "Forum Blue" a couple of times on broadcasts, but never saw it written on any official Lakers press releases, et al - it was always Purple and Gold. Like I said, Chick probably slipped back out of "Force of Habit" - just like you occasionally hear announcers talk about the California (or Anaheim) Angels here in Southern California, or you heard the occasional "Oakland Raiders" slip when the Silver and Black were in Los Angeles.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #43
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Not surprising - like I said, Cooke sold the team in 1979, so it makes sense that the switch happened then. I used 10 years as a VERY conservative estimate, but I've always* heard "Purple and Gold."

* I did hear Chick say "Forum Blue" a couple of times on broadcasts, but never saw it written on any official Lakers press releases, et al - it was always Purple and Gold. Like I said, Chick probably slipped back out of "Force of Habit" - just like you occasionally hear announcers talk about the California (or Anaheim) Angels here in Southern California, or you heard the occasional "Oakland Raiders" slip when the Silver and Black were in Los Angeles.

yup. I hear ya.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:07 AM   #44
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

Yeah we should clear up some cap space because there are going to be soo many good players whos contracts are expiring after this season.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #45
hotsizzle
Superstar

I say try to make a blockbuster trade now. so that either, we would be resigning a superstar or gettin superstar cap if we dont resign him...problem is who and what can we get???
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: