Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Geandily
Local High School Star

Default Re: Ever been owned by a game?

I remember when I was about 12 years old I used to save all of my money to buy an NES game, they were like $60 dollars, so I would save up lunch money, do yardwork, chores around the house to get enough money to buy an NES game, it would usually take me about a month to get enough money to buy one of those things.

So I remember saving up for a month to buy this game Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the game starts out, it plays some cool intro video of Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde and all these lightning bolts start flashing around, so I was all excited right? So the game starts, you walk outside and you have a cane or a sword or something and theres these people running at you, damaging you, but the weapon doesnt do ANYTHING, you couldn't even jump high enough to get OVER these people.

So then you die, and you turn into Mr. Hyde, and then all of a sudden you get struck by lightning

GAME OVER

I could never even get past the first level, I had other people try it, nobody could do anything. I mean, you leave some house, these people run at you, you die, you respawn as Mr. Hyde and suddenly, lightning strikes and you're dead. $60 and a months worth of work for 40 seconds of gameplay.
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
Geandily
Local High School Star

Goddamn I just booted it up again and seriously, the game starts, you poke people with your stick and they run away right? Then all of a sudden, you die, nothing is around you, there's not even anything around just an open field and a tree, your guy just falls down dead. Then you turn into Mr. Hyde, you walk forward about 20 feet and then theres like, an electrical charge or something emanating from Mr. Hyde then he just falls down, dead.

GAME OVER
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

If you're playing it now a days you can just google it tho, ya?

My ownage goes back to some PC game in like 1990 or something. It was one of those games where you actually have to type, "turn left" or "Pick up <item>" and I spent hours trying to figure out this one area that I just couldnt pass.

I ended up typing in a bunch of swear words and the game actually put me in a room of mirrors with nowhere to go, lol.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geandily
I remember when I was about 12 years old I used to save all of my money to buy an NES game, they were like $60 dollars, so I would save up lunch money, do yardwork, chores around the house to get enough money to buy an NES game, it would usually take me about a month to get enough money to buy one of those things.

So I remember saving up for a month to buy this game Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the game starts out, it plays some cool intro video of Dr. Jekyll turning into Mr. Hyde and all these lightning bolts start flashing around, so I was all excited right? So the game starts, you walk outside and you have a cane or a sword or something and theres these people running at you, damaging you, but the weapon doesnt do ANYTHING, you couldn't even jump high enough to get OVER these people.

So then you die, and you turn into Mr. Hyde, and then all of a sudden you get struck by lightning

GAME OVER

I could never even get past the first level, I had other people try it, nobody could do anything. I mean, you leave some house, these people run at you, you die, you respawn as Mr. Hyde and suddenly, lightning strikes and you're dead. $60 and a months worth of work for 40 seconds of gameplay.

Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde IGN Review

Hopefully that helps ease the old pain.
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #20
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMosɘs
Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde IGN Review

Hopefully that helps ease the old pain.

First, you start off as Dr. Jekyll, walking and walking (and walking) though the town, bridges, and forest to reach your destination. (I haven't read the book, so I cannot give the similarities from the book to the game.) You have to watch your meter as well as your life bar, but mainly your "rage" meter. What's very strange is whom you should avoid to keep Dr. Jekyll sane. You would have to avoid number of people as they may attack or plant bombs that seems impossible to avoid. You also have to avoid cats, the god-awful fat lady singer, to the bird constantly, err... dropping. The only way you could avoid getting mulled, you can only do four things, jump, poke with your cane, enter doors, or run like hell.
If the meter reaches down to "H," you will transform into the hideous Mr. Hyde, a.k.a, bad guy.

Now onto the Mr. Hyde part of the story. You play the exact same level design as before, but in reverse, in the night, and with monsters. On a somewhat plus side, you can shoot fireballs at the monsters. You have to defeat them in order to collect coins and increase the meter back to J to turn back into "Dr. Jekyll" again. If you don't and happen to stumble to the same position as you left off when you turned into Mr. Hyde, a deadly bolt of lightning will strike you and you will die, game over. Sounds fun, right?

OWNED
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #21
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Never got anywhere close to Mike Tyson. Just wasn't smart enough to figure out how to beat the bosses, as a kid.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #22
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

The Lion King for Sega Genesis. The game is too hard. Not just that it's very challenging, I mean it's literally too hard to enjoy. I don't know anybody that can breeze through that game. That and Donkey Kong 64 back in the day.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #23
sixerfan82
College star

battletoads pissed the living hell out of me

konami in general was known for making ridiculously hard games
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #24
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie2k6
The Lion King for Sega Genesis. The game is too hard. Not just that it's very challenging, I mean it's literally too hard to enjoy. I don't know anybody that can breeze through that game. That and Donkey Kong 64 back in the day.

+1 for the Lion King reference. I made a thread about that game a few months back; that was the first time I beat it, and I've had the damn game since I was 7. It gets easier and easier once you beat it the first time.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #25
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

Quote:
That original Ninja Turtles game for NES (still the hardest game ever)

Spot on with that. Was so much fun, but so damn hard. Mike and Raph were basically useless so once you lost Don and Leo you had no chance.

I never got anywhere on Zelda:Ocarina of Time(more through lack of trying to) or Zelda 2:The Adventures of Link.

Another massively hard game was Battle of Olympus on the NES.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
-Ev08-
I brick open layups

"President Run" for Driver on playstation 1, no other level comes close during my experience with gaming.
-Ev08- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #27
Dwight_Howard12
Dwight Howard for MVP

Yeah i got owned in my NBA 2k8 association in the East finals against Celtics....4-0
Dwight_Howard12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #28
Charlie Sheen
Local High School Star

at least 3 posts in this thread are plagiarizing the avgn
Charlie Sheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #29
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
at least 3 posts in this thread are plagiarizing the avgn

Care to tell us which ones?
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
ShowtymeCA2NC
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
GTA 3 for PS2, back then, I couldn't finish the game, or even get to all the islands. I just sold it later.

Dude,i so feel you on that...i havent finished any of the GTA's especially San Andreas..without cheat codes its impossible to beat that damn game..even with cheat codes it took me like 2 months just to get to san fiero then my damn memory card corrupted so i had to start over but i didnt..all in all that game is fun but hard to finish
ShowtymeCA2NC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: