Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Default A vertical jump/weight lifting question

First off: 15 y/o 6'3 180 lbs.

It's March and the weather is finally getting nice, so I can do some stuff.

I'm really skinny for my height and don't have to much muscle. I'm a multi-sport guy (football + basketball).

I really want to get my vert to around 30in. to be able to dunk, but I also need to lift a lot over the summer to get ready for football. What I've heard is that some people got their verts up to like 40in but when they bulked up it went down to like 25.

What I need is to gain some weight in muscle, and get a higher vert both during the same time. How?
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
3stat2
Local High School Star

Default Re: A vertical jump/weight lifting question

I'm not an expert but you could try some power lifting - olympic style lifts like the clean and jerk. It will help build muscle (quads, shoulders, core muscles and plenty more) while you're essentially emulating the action of jumping. According to several studies, olympic power lifters have the highest standing verticals of all athletes - icnluding high jumpers and basketball players. Now it probably isn't as effective for muscle mass gain as proper resistance weight training, but nonetheless it should help you gain both decent mass and vert/quickness at the same time. As long as you keep your diet right - lots of protein, wholemeal grains for carbs, low fat etc.

One thing you will *need* to do though is go to a gym and get proper training on how to do those lifts - because you can seriously harm yourself without proper technique.

You're only 15 though, your vert is going to increase over time no matter what, assuming you don't gain like 50 pounds of fat. At 6'3 you're pretty much guaranteed to be dunking eventually.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
I'm not an expert but you could try some power lifting - olympic style lifts like the clean and jerk. It will help build muscle (quads, shoulders, core muscles and plenty more) while you're essentially emulating the action of jumping. According to several studies, olympic power lifters have the highest standing verticals of all athletes - icnluding high jumpers and basketball players. Now it probably isn't as effective for muscle mass gain as proper resistance weight training, but nonetheless it should help you gain both decent mass and vert/quickness at the same time. As long as you keep your diet right - lots of protein, wholemeal grains for carbs, low fat etc.

One thing you will *need* to do though is go to a gym and get proper training on how to do those lifts - because you can seriously harm yourself without proper technique.

You're only 15 though, your vert is going to increase over time no matter what, assuming you don't gain like 50 pounds of fat. At 6'3 you're pretty much guaranteed to be dunking eventually.
i think i know how to do the hang-cleans. thats where you have your feet shoulder-width apart bend your knees, and explode up, right?

not really sure what the jerk? is.

i guess i'm like a normal kid for eating, and no i won't ever gain 50 lbs of fat and im in decent shape. i just dont really lift all that much.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
hito da god
look that way >>>>

PM me if you want a link for the vertical jump bible
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
djsmkb8
I airball my layups

1. Get strong. Unless you're a genetic freak/fast twitch machine, you need to get strong to jump high. Do squat and deadlift variations. The more force you can put into the ground, the more potential for jumping high.

2. Get explosive. Once you're strong, teach your body to use as much of that strength as possible in a short amount of time. Speed squats/deadlifts, olympic lifts, jumps from a stand still, etc etc.

3. Get reactive. Also known as plyometric. Depth jumps, depth drops, sprinting, and anything where you have to react to the ground. Try to keep ground contact as short as possible.

Read stuff by Kelly Baggett, Eric Cressey, Joe DeFranco, and a whole bunch of others.
djsmkb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #6
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

What is power lifting?
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
3stat2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
What is power lifting?
This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2vTRSXKsg
Old 03-17-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
that guys can jump??
Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 AM   #9
3stat2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
that guys can jump??
Yeah, I was a little surprised too when I first found out about it. You'd think those guys would be way too big to jump high.

But here's an article on vertical training:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...o_want_to.html
Quote:
Common exercises include explosive lifts like a Clean Pull or a Push Press, Olympic lifts like the Power Clean and Snatch

Olympic lifts are very beneficial because of the triple extension (extension of the ankle, knee and hip), which characterizes the Olympic lifts and the jumping action

There are quite a few videos of people doing this kind of training on youtube. Click on their accounts and you'll find a lot of them also have uploaded dunking videos. Here's one example, a 5'8" guy with what he says is a 36 inch running leap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNqgDEHU-WU
And here's one of the training types he does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7XvfFE8GMw
Old 03-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #10
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

LOL. I never even had a thought of them jumping that high, I knew that they have strong legs but 35"+ vert...
Old 03-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
DOMINATOR
Decent playground baller

one thing a started doing is running a couple miles on my toes. (like sprinting form) works out your calfs real well and teaches you to fully extend your ankle/foot when you jump. i did it a couple times and gained like 2 inches on my vert.
just a suggestion.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
First off: 15 y/o 6'3 180 lbs.

It's March and the weather is finally getting nice, so I can do some stuff.

I'm really skinny for my height and don't have to much muscle. I'm a multi-sport guy (football + basketball).

I really want to get my vert to around 30in. to be able to dunk, but I also need to lift a lot over the summer to get ready for football. What I've heard is that some people got their verts up to like 40in but when they bulked up it went down to like 25.

What I need is to gain some weight in muscle, and get a higher vert both during the same time. How?

You have an excellent base from which to work with in height and weight. Why do you think you need more muscle? 180 is quite fine for a 6'3" 15 year old. Just make you muscles more explosive and strong, quite obvious that trying to lift a 180 pound body to the rim is much easier than trying to lift a 190 pound body there....

You will certainly have a problem if you gain weight and try to improve vertical. The names suggested above, Kelley Baggett and such are good places to start...however, if you have no experience with Olympic Lifts and the such, I suggest either finding someone to help teach you, or sticking with plyometrics and explosive work in the simplest form.

Also, at your age, it will come, jsut by playing basketball and staying active.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
KJones
Banned

First you need to figure out what type of power or strength you are lacking, base strength, transitional power, or explosiveness, they are all different and must be trained in different ways. You'll also want to figure out which individual muscles/muscle groups are working inefficiently You can figure this out by completing a full vertical jump test progression (this will include 32 different jump movements and measurements) and a baseline fitness test to diagnose any muscle imbalances that you may have. Do a routine that combines plyomertic/body weight, free weight and or acceleration routines. In order to gain inches you'll need to tax your central nervous system and force your body to create new motor pathways. As you improve progress into double and triple CNS taxing movements completed using a ROE value calculating system. If you do this correctly you should gain at least an inch a week. Remember that different sports require you to create power in different ways, if you want to jump higher for basketball a lot of this stuff floating around won't help you because they are based on olympic systems. Most power lifters have good verts but only in space and have overly exaggerated mechanics, in team sports if you can only jump in space or show too soon you are dead. Jumping high and effectively in basketball requires a hybrid jumping mechanics that most trainers don't know how to teach because their backgrounds are in traditional and football training.
http://www.program51.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxcPllTyRA
KJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #14
3stat2
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix
Hence the olympic lifting suggestion. It may not be the best way to gain vert, but he'll definitely put on some functional muscle mass in both his lower and upper body. If he only wanted to gain vert for basketball without regard to his musculature, then those vert programs you can buy out there are probably alright. But that isn't the case.

Last edited by 3stat2 : 03-20-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

Actually, IMO, there is no such thing as functional mass, functional strength and power, yes...mass only increases weight...especially with my basketball players, I focus on increasing explosiveness, not weight. If two objects have the same amount of power output ability, but one weighs 20 pounds less, which do you think will be faster...and olympic lifts are sometimes not the best way to improve explosive power, especially with tall, long levered basketball players.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: