Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default 5 -A-ces

in my opinion there are 5 future nba all star/franchise gaurds likely to enter the draft. how do you rank them? can you make a real claim for another player to pick instead?

here is the 5 that consider head and shoulders above the next group -
derrick rose memphis
oj mayo usc
russel westbrook ucla
eric gordon indiana
jarod bayless arizona

i have given up on my dream of westbrook to the nuggets as he has grown into a probable top 10 pick. i m actually ready to say i believe he is going to be the best of the group. i believe his label as a "combo gaurd" is just that, a label. he is a pure nba point gaurd, both defensively and offensively when put in that spot. the fact that he is also able to play the 2 is just a bonus. he has also grown more than any other player ive seen this season. literally- he started out theseason an inch shorter than his teammate josh shipp ad he is now an inch or so taller- for whatever thats worth
*nba comparison= a more explosive& offenively skilled gary payton w/ a calm demeanor

rose is the best athlete to come along at the gaurd position in a long time- he is the gaurd version of lebron at the wing- he is thatmuch of a freak prototype. pure speed strength size combo he is perfect. my only wonder will be his offensive skill set if anyone is ever able to stay with him or if he gets unlucky with what team takes him. whoever takes this guy needs to be smart enough to give him the ball and MAKE everybody run. (ive never really had the balls to believe the nugs might get him.)
*nba comparison= bigger faster stronger jason kidd

-i have seen oj mayo at least 15 times and am nothing but impressed. this guy is a for sure- its bulletproof and all of the doubt is strange and imo must be personal- so i really want to avoid any oj arguments for a year or so and i think they will be over- i also believe put in the situation- and god forbid in the nba, coached, he will be a great point.
*nba comparison= manu ginobil

gordon is a flat out bull. when worrying about size sometimes you need to take the monte ellis factor into consideration- when hes the best around at all the stops and his stuff works against anybody- he'll get it going- he my be put in the 6th man or 2 gaurd role
*nba comparison= mitch richmond and tim hardaway merged into one player or charles barkley as a gaurd

bayless is a perfect fit for the nba- over 6-3 runs like a deer and is a great shooter- his injury slowed his and zona's teams progress alot this year, but he is healthy again and ready
*nba comparison= monte ellis or chauncey after trading 30 pounds of muscle for a rocket up his a**

here i go- dont hate me for barely choosing in the #1 spot,

1- westbrook
2- rose
3- mayo
4- gordon
5- bayless

i really want to see your rankings or possibly hear a detailed argument
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 5 -A-ces

I agree except I would not even think of having Westbrook over Beasley. Beasley has the most rare offensive skills college basketball has seen in a long time. I know eveyone will point to Durant and Carmelo, but neither had the versitlity of Beasley on the offensive end.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
AlThornton
Great young streetballer

AlThornton has an OK reputation so far

Rose is #1 and they rest aren't that close to be honest. At the beginning of the year I loved Rose, but they other guys were close, now watching Rose towards the end of the year, I have no doubts this kid is going to be special at the next level. He has a great BBall IQ, a great demenor, knows how to win, unselfish, knows when to take over a game, great passer(not so much at the beginning of the year, but now its no question he has great vision.)

My only question, and this is the ONLY one is his shooting. But PG have proven you don't need to be a great shooter to be great at the next level. He can hit the mid range jumper, but needs to be more consistent. If he does reach that point its all over folks.

JMHO of course
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #4
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThornton
Rose is #1 and they rest aren't that close to be honest. At the beginning of the year I loved Rose, but they other guys were close, now watching Rose towards the end of the year, I have no doubts this kid is going to be special at the next level. He has a great BBall IQ, a great demenor, knows how to win, unselfish, knows when to take over a game, great passer(not so much at the beginning of the year, but now its no question he has great vision.)

My only question, and this is the ONLY one is his shooting. But PG have proven you don't need to be a great shooter to be great at the next level. He can hit the mid range jumper, but needs to be more consistent. If he does reach that point its all over folks.

JMHO of course

i cant disagree with anything you said at all- rose is head and shoulders above the rest in so many ways that it may be wishfull thinking on my part to place westbrook or any other over him.

my only point to add on your question on rose's shooting is that i also dont see a complete offensive game in the halfcourt- not that you have to be, but i dont think he is a shooter or a scorer.- in other words he may be the least versitile of the group

none of this may matter as you are most likely right that he is way better than the rest- i really want to see your rankings past him-

i believe rose needs to play with a scorer that is better than him- rose on the nugs with melo would be the next dynasty- as a hardore nuggets fan i would trade iverson and 3 1st's for the 1 or 2 spot for this guy- sad that a guy like this who is geneticaly created by god to be a point gaurd will likely be placed on a team with nothing and will be asked to be everything
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: