Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
thejoyofsobe
Local High School Star

Default Patterson Out, Smith In

http://www.nba.com/bucks/news/Patter...th_060810.html

So Ruben Pattterson got shipped to Milwaukee in exchange for veteran power forward Joe Smith. I know part of the appeal to the Nuggets is having insurance for Kenyon Martin's inevitable injuries this season. I guess this mean the Nuggets are handing J.R. Smith the starting SG spot.
thejoyofsobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
insidehoops
Administrator

This move suggests it's likely Denver won't re-sign Reggie Evans, who is rumored to be asking for the mid-level exception, which is too much money for his services. The Nuggets frontcourt is pretty crowded now, even if Evans is gone (possibly to Minnesota or Cleveland as a free agent). Kenyon Martin has been on the trading block for a long time, so it's possible Denver has found a taker. I haven't heard any rumors involving Marcus Camby or the newly-signed Nene. Chances are, Smith is just a replacement for Evans. But this team needs a shooting guard a lot more than they need another power forward. Unless JR Smith is ready to rise. As for the Bucks, Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva are their center and power forwards, with Brian Skinner and Dan Gadzuric as backups, but they felt a bit weak around the small forward spot. Ruben adds muscle and hustle at the position. My initial reaction is that this is a good trade for both sides.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
pennstate73
I brick open layups

Well we can say goodby to Reggie Evans.. priced himslf out of a job. No way he is worth 5 million a year. Can shoot, can't shoot free throws, and can't guard anybody unless he grabs their b***@!
pennstate73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #4
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

whats the point in trading rubin patterson. who is goin to gaurd the the top scorers in the league. jr smith can score but his defense aint sh*t. thats y byron scott had him on the dog house. thats not a good move to trade rubin patterson he is tough and he can play d
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

IMO, this move was preperation for the departure of KMart.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #6
pennstate73
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
whats the point in trading rubin patterson. who is goin to gaurd the the top scorers in the league. jr smith can score but his defense aint sh*t. thats y byron scott had him on the dog house. thats not a good move to trade rubin patterson he is tough and he can play d

Obviously you didn't watch too many games. Ruben was doing more trash talking then playing "D". And when Kobe came to town it was a joke. Plus he was a negative influence in teh locker room. So Goodby Kobe Stopper. Maybe he ca be a LeBron Stopper now!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
pennstate73
I brick open layups

Now that is more to the truth. A sign and trade deal for Bonzi. For one year.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

It freed up money, so they may be planning to sign a big FA contract
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
PFunk
Kids at the park dunk on me

Being a Bucks fan I would have liked to land KMart instead of or with Patterson despite the fact we have Villanueava. Kenyon would give ups some toughness we haven't had for years.

mabe we could have done

KMart
RPatterson

for

BSimmons
BSkinner "when he can be traded
JSmith
1st round or whatever to match it up

DEN
Miller-Boykins
Smith-Hodge
Anthoney-Simmons
Nene-Smith
Camby-Skinner

MIL
Williams-Blake
Redd-Bell
Villanueva-Patterson
Martin-Villanueva
Bogut-Gadzuric
PFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstate73
Obviously you didn't watch too many games. Ruben was doing more trash talking then playing "D". And when Kobe came to town it was a joke. Plus he was a negative influence in teh locker room. So Goodby Kobe Stopper. Maybe he ca be a LeBron Stopper now!

so tell me this who on that team now is goin to gaurd the top scorers in the league now. i like carmelo as much as the next person but u cant ask him to gaurd all the top perrimeter players in the league. and jr smith is a very bad defender. i seen him play in rucker and he cant even stay in front of rucker league players. rubin patterson was the best defender on that team. and u already got nene for the next 6 years and u got kenyon for the next 5. joe smith probably wont see a lot of time. the trade doesnt make any sense.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
skitta
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Had to do it...

The trade doesn't make sense until you realize that Patterson ask for an extension to his overpriced deal or be traded. Better to trade Patterson now before he becomes a locker room disruption. Look at how he left, his comments about K-mart only make that situation harder to deal with.
skitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #12
paguy1955
High School Starter

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynchild155
so tell me this who on that team now is goin to gaurd the top scorers in the league now. i like carmelo as much as the next person but u cant ask him to gaurd all the top perrimeter players in the league. and jr smith is a very bad defender. i seen him play in rucker and he cant even stay in front of rucker league players. rubin patterson was the best defender on that team. and u already got nene for the next 6 years and u got kenyon for the next 5. joe smith probably wont see a lot of time. the trade doesnt make any sense.

He was traded because he said he did not want to be in Denver. He wanted a new contract and after he got in George Karl's face abot Kenyon, he sealed his own fate. They were going to wait until the season was over to re -evaluate him.

Again since you did see him in the last half of the season, i''ll tell you. His defense was NOT that great. Never shut down anyone.
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #13
paguy1955
High School Starter

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitta
The trade doesn't make sense until you realize that Patterson ask for an extension to his overpriced deal or be traded. Better to trade Patterson now before he becomes a locker room disruption. Look at how he left, his comments about K-mart only make that situation harder to deal with.

AMEN finally someone who saw it. You must live in Denver. He was a locker room problem and was not worth the problems.
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 AM   #14
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

He was getting old anyways.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
PacersFan
Decent playground baller

I really like this trade for both teams. They may not make an impact on their new teams but they will help out on the little things thats needed.
PacersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: