Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Lakers, Clippers will pursue free agent Arenas

Source: L.A. clubs to pursue Arenas
By Sam Amico

ProBasketballNews.com

Quote:
Tuesday, Mar 18, 2008 11:55 am EDT

Lakers, Clippers will pursue free agent Arenas
Getty Images
A high-ranking Western Conference executive with knowledge of the situation has told Pro Basketball News that both the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers plan to "strongly pursue" Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas this summer. Arenas is signed through 2009, but has said he will exercise the early termination option in his contract and become a free agent.

Quote:
The source added, "That doesn't mean the Wizards will let Arenas walk for nothing. But if the Lakers and Clippers push for him as much as expected, it's likely to result in a sign-and-trade."

If that's the case, the Lakers may be willing to part with forward Lamar Odom and guard Derek Fisher, and/or a few bench players, according to the source (Odom's contract expires at the end of next season).

Meanwhile, the Clippers have reportedly been trying to deal forward Corey Maggette and "would be willing to trade the entire team if it meant pairing Arenas with Elton Brand (also out for the year with a knee injury)," the source said.

According to the Washington Post, the most the Wizards could offer Arenas this summer is a three-year extension worth no more than $70 million. But any deal wouldn't begin until his original contract expires in 2009. "Once he opts out, Arenas would be eligible to sign a maximum contract covering six years and worth between $90 and $100 million, depending on the salary cap," the Post wrote.

Could this mean a possible Odom and Butler reunion?

Im not trying to start anything here... just wanted to post this, since its about the lakers...

Last edited by ZeN : 03-18-2008 at 11:26 AM.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #2
Tainted Sword
World Champion WOOOO~!

Tainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat coolTainted Sword is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Lakers, Clippers will pursue free agent Arenas

I wouldn’t trade Fisher given his situation.

I’m kind of waiting till the playoffs when our roster is at full strength to decide whether Odom is what we need.

I’m also kind of hesitant to trade for Agent Zero, given his ego and the fact I don't think he could handle being 3rd fiddle to Kobe/Gasol, but he’d be a very good addition if he played for the team. Good perimeter shooter that can create his own shots.

He’s also from LA, so that could persuade him. He would need a huge pay-cut though…
Tainted Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainted Sword
I wouldn’t trade Fisher given his situation.

I’m kind of waiting till the playoffs when our roster is at full strength to decide whether Odom is what we need.

I’m also kind of hesitant to trade for Agent Zero, given his ego and the fact I don't think he could handle being 3rd fiddle to Kobe/Gasol, but he’d be a very good addition if he played for the team. Good perimeter shooter that can create his own shots.

He’s also from LA, so that could persuade him. He would need a huge pay-cut though…

I was thinking with Fish that if his daughters treatment has progressed enough, he may no longer find himself in the same dire place than at the beginning of the treatment... But still I find it unlikely that he would be traded, as you said...

I also dont find it a great fit for Arenas to come here to the Lakers, I dont see him fitting in well with the current possible dynamic.

Yet I would be extremely happy if he were to go to the clippers. He would fit much better in their system, they need him more, and he could help lift up the face of the other L.A. franchise.

Im an L.A. native born and raised.. so as much as Im a Laker fan, I would not mind the Clips giving the city of L.A. another solid team to root for
Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ehhh...I really don't think we should get Arenas. He needs to dominate the ball too much to be effective and as Tainted Sword said above, not sure if he would be as effective as 3rd option. I'd rathr stick with Odom.

I think gil is a great talent, but not sure how well he would fare as a Laker in the triangle. Hes not a great defender or passer. His shooting would help though. Only thing that I think he would help us is when we get an injury, he no doubt would be able to step it up more than Odom, but at full strength, I think Odom is a better fit
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #5
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas

I think gil is a great talent, but not sure how well he would fare as a Laker in the triangle. Hes not a great defender or passer. His shooting would help though.

I agree that essentially he would help in scoring, but something tells me that with Gasol, Bryant, and Bynum on the team, scoring wont be such a dilema

Plus, if the Lakers have Kobe then there is little need for Arenas who is purty much the same "type" of player, at the same position. I would always take KB>Arenas so the need is not really there...
Old 03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
I agree that essentially he would help in scoring, but something tells me that with Gasol, Bryant, and Bynum on the team, scoring wont be such a dilema

Plus, if the Lakers have Kobe then there is little need for Arenas who is purty much the same "type" of player, at the same position. I would always take KB>Arenas so the need is not really there...

Yea i agree. Also, we saw how Kobes ego meshed with Shaqs ego. Gil thinks pretty high of himself, who knows how well they would mesh together
Old 03-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

The rumor's not too farfetched, except for the part about trading Fisher. Lamar's gonna be a huge trading chip next year: a massive expiring contract, with the added bonus that he's still a very good player. Oh, and he's only 28, so if a team decides he's worth keeping, they'll have the Bird rights (I think) to a relatively young stud.

I doubt he'll be shipped off for Arenas, however. The triangle is predicated on ball movement, post-play and unselfishness. We've already got a ball-stopping, overdribbling, 3-launching chuck artist (I say that affectionately), and he's way better than Gil could ever hope to be.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Lakers13
Reload Time

Lakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation hereLakers13 has an incredible reputation here

Does Arenas even play defense?
Lakers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13

Nope. Then again, I can't say much about Fish and Farmar's defense for the past few weeks.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers13

please!

the last laker point guard to play a little bit of defense was Gary Payton.

The chance to get Arenas is huge. 2 superstars, and two star centers. Phil and the staff could do so much with that. Value is everything in the NBA. Chemistry gets worked on in practice and Kobe loves playing with other stars. I would definitely jump on this Idea.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
please!

the last laker point guard to play a little bit of defense was Gary Payton.

The chance to get Arenas is huge. 2 superstars, and two star centers. Phil and the staff could do so much with that. Value is everything in the NBA. Chemistry gets worked on in practice and Kobe loves playing with other stars. I would definitely jump on this Idea.

Love the optimistic view...

What would be the starting line up?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
BayAreaSportz
I hit open layups

BayAreaSportz has an OK reputation so far

I'm not sure how content the Wizards would be just receiving a expiring contract back for Odom which is the only way this would work. The Lakers will have a $75M payroll next year which makes Odom more valuable to the Lakers than the Wizards who will be under the cap. The Lakers would really have to put together something that will entice the Wizards to do a sign and trade because Gilbert could just as easily opt out and re-sign elsewhere which would leave the Lakers with not much power to negotiate. I doubt Buss would want a $100M payroll which is much more than what he was paying for his championship years. Would Arenas guarantee a championship in LA? I would say he would guarantee that they'd be the #1 seed. How potent would Arenas, Bryant, and Gasol be?

With Gasol able to play center and has been doing it with much success for the team so far, I wouldn't be surprised if they entertain throwing Bynum in on a package for Arenas, but that would be hard to put together since Bynum only makes $2.7M. He would have to be combined with at least Radomonvic and Walton, but why would the Wizards want those players?

In the end, the Lakers may lose out on the Arenas sweepstakes which maybe a good thing. There just wouldn't be enough ball to go around with Arenas, Kobe, and Gasol. Unfortunately, the Lakers are without a first round pick this year so they'll have to do their work in the free agent market. I'd be in favor of them going after another Wizard, Antawn Jamison who will probably not be asking for a raise and may sign for much cheaper than his $16M this year. If the Lakers can sign him for about half that, then it would be a bargain and the promise of a deep playoff run may just entice Jamison enough. The line up?

PG Fisher - Farmar
SG Bryant - Vujacic
SF Odom - Walton - Ariza
PF Jamison - Turiaf
C Gasol - Bynum - Mihm
BayAreaSportz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN
Love the optimistic view...

What would be the starting line up?

Since we trade away Odom in this deal like it says above, we can finally play Kobe at small forward where he absolutely dominates. Thats his easiest scoring spot.

Farmar
Gilbert
Kobe
Pau
Bynum

We would definitely run a lot more with this lineup with Farmar being the starter, and from what we see on TV, its no secret that Pau, Kobe, and Gilbert absolutely love to run!

Bynum was getting faster last season so I can see him sprinting a few times up the court as well.

I dont know who we will trade off the bench but We would still have decent role players thats for sure. Either way we got guys in the lineups that play 40+ minutes so that shouldn't be a major concern.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:

Farmar
Gilbert
Kobe
Pau
Bynum

We dont really know the outcome of what that lineup would deliver...

But one thing is for certain if Gilbert can mesh with the rest, and Bynum plays like he did before he went down....

That there would be the best starting lineup in the league..
Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Since we trade away Odom in this deal like it says above, we can finally play Kobe at small forward where he absolutely dominates. Thats his easiest scoring spot.

Farmar
Gilbert
Kobe
Pau
Bynum

I dont know, looks good on paper, but we become very undersized in our back court. How will Gil fare guarding bigger, elite guards? Kobe will take on bigger guys, hes capable of defending them, but I think this will wear him down over time.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: