Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default The Relative Greatness of Kobe

For me, personally, his relative greatness stands in judgement RIGHT NOW.

I personally believe that right now is a defining period in his career. This is the first real test in his overall leadership/skills as the unquestioned leader of this team, as there is MUCH at stake (unlike ever before).

With a mere handful of games remaining, playoff seeding is at stake (absolutely critical this year), guys are injured, and even the MVP award is on the line at this very moment. Given the very real opportunity in front of this team, if ever there were a time for a leader to carry his team, now would be that time.

Where and how he carries this team will speak to his place in NBA history.

[yes, that was a lot of puffing on my part, but I really believe that right now is a defining period.]
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: The Relative Greatness of Kobe

I agree. i'm willing to let him shirk a bit due to the injury.. but now is the time to do what it takes to win games, his 11 for 33 performance is the type of thing where he needs to say "ok my shot is not falling today, it's flat and todays not my day" and he has to tell the guys this and let them know the ball is coming their way they better be ready to step up... some days he's going to be the top dog and some days he won't and he has to learn to diferentiate between the two..

he doesn't always need to score to carry the team, he neads to lead.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I can't agree more...thats why I see Sundays game as a HUGE set back for him in terms of individual status. He can make it up with two game winning legendary performances tonight and against Utah.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Heilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation hereHeilige has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
For me, personally, his relative greatness stands in judgement RIGHT NOW.

I personally believe that right now is a defining period in his career. This is the first real test in his overall leadership/skills as the unquestioned leader of this team, as there is MUCH at stake (unlike ever before).

With a mere handful of games remaining, playoff seeding is at stake (absolutely critical this year), guys are injured, and even the MVP award is on the line at this very moment. Given the very real opportunity in front of this team, if ever there were a time for a leader to carry his team, now would be that time.

Where and how he carries this team will speak to his place in NBA history.

[yes, that was a lot of puffing on my part, but I really believe that right now is a defining period.]

Co-sign. The time is NOW for Kobe to step up and set the agenda for the rest of the season for the Lakers from here on out and heading into the playoffs.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nicely said Bleedin.... so how do you measure his greatness for the rest of the season? game by game or by looking at it in totality? (or both??)

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Nicely said Bleedin.... so how do you measure his greatness for the rest of the season? game by game or by looking at it in totality? (or both??)

both. consistent high level of play.
take tonight for example...
1st half, he was the best player in the league, true MVP.
2nd half...I think he had 8 pts and 2 assists. I realize that he was doubled in the 4th, so that's when he has to swing it fast or split the double and make an assist. He had a key airball down the stretch.

so... his final numbers were nice, but it was not a dominant game overall, imo.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

kobe did better tonnight then in houston..at least he recognized the doubles and didn't force the issues, they were hard doubles the mavs were really commiting to them and not backing off...good decsion making on his part tonight overall... my only critic, is i'd like to see him be more consistent from the start, he seems to either come out gunning or like tonight sit back and let the others get going then turn up his game...i think that makes it a little harder for the rest of the guys because it doesn't seem to come and go within the flow of the game... and that makes it harder for others to operate in the flow of the game
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #9
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I also think in the 4th quarter, he did get hurt... he jammed his hip or something if you recall. After that, he seemed to "disappear" so to speak. I am not sure if injuries, even if little ones apply in consideration.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bump...
because Kobe has been playing like crap...right now...during this most critical stretch. crap.

thus far, MVP should go to CP3, imo.

Kobe better redeem himself over the final 10 games.

Lakers are 5-5 over the last 10 games.

Last edited by bleedinpurpleTwo : 03-27-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
SoCalMike

Honestly, I think Kobe has worn down a bit lately due to injuries and having to carry the load due to team injuries. I think he should get "some" points for his valor, but I agree that he has not impressed me the way I had hoped. But for me, I still think he is mvp as I want to look at the season in totality.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
ShowtymeCA2NC
Serious playground baller

ShowtymeCA2NC has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
bump...
because Kobe has been playing like crap...right now...during this most critical stretch. crap.

thus far, MVP should go to CP3, imo.

Kobe better redeem himself over the final 10 games.

Lakers are 5-5 over the last 10 games.

dude,are u serious,he hasnt been playing like himself lately but give him some slack...name me another player that can play with a sprained ankle.jammed hip and a dislocated pinky..OH HIS SHOOTING HAND..not easy dawg.matter of fact most people wouldnt be playn at all
ShowtymeCA2NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 PM   #13
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowtymeCA2NC
dude,are u serious,he hasnt been playing like himself lately but give him some slack...name me another player that can play with a sprained ankle.jammed hip and a dislocated pinky..OH HIS SHOOTING HAND..not easy dawg.matter of fact most people wouldnt be playn at all

the pinky excuse gets nothing. he has been playing with it for a while and played at a high level with it prior to the last 4 games. the jammed hip was nothing. however, the sprained ankle may be worth some sympathy, but its not like he was hobbling around out there.

I'm not willing to make excuses for his poor play of late. He is still worthy of serious MVP consideration, but it is slipping thru his fingers, imo.

as this thread is about his place in history, I would still say that right now is the most critical statement period in his career (see OP). In order for me to consider him as the 2nd best SG in history, he will need to make some noise in the coming weeks.... and he is certainly capable of doing so.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
ShowtymeCA2NC
Serious playground baller

ShowtymeCA2NC has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
the pinky excuse gets nothing. he has been playing with it for a while and played at a high level with it prior to the last 4 games. the jammed hip was nothing. however, the sprained ankle may be worth some sympathy, but its not like he was hobbling around out there.

I'm not willing to make excuses for his poor play of late. He is still worthy of serious MVP consideration, but it is slipping thru his fingers, imo.

as this thread is about his place in history, I would still say that right now is the most critical statement period in his career (see OP). In order for me to consider him as the 2nd best SG in history, he will need to make some noise in the coming weeks.... and he is certainly capable of doing so.

I feel you on it not beeing excuses and u know he will NEVER use it as an excuse but just give the Brotha a lil slack man...everybody and i mean everybody has stretches of ineffectiveness ..he will bounce back like Always,but your right for him to cement his legacy he is going to have to bounce back
ShowtymeCA2NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Listening to ESPN radio pretty much everybody thinks the MVP should go to either Garnett or Paul at this point. I started a thread a while ago when Pau was injured that the only good thing that could come from it was Kobe could lead the team to the 1 seed and get the MVP. I think we forget sometimes that he is playing injured but all excuses aside I would really like to see him step it up a notch or two and lead the team to the best record in the West so we can stop hearing about the Hornets.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: