Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

This is something I've never understood.

For example: why do so many people study Latin? Yeah I get it- Latin language and Roman culture form a huge basis for the western experience/language. but beyond that what is the point of studying it? so many people are so impassioned about specifically what happened in these people's lives. not to apply it to the present and future. why?

some of the smartest people I know are either historians or soon to be historians. and I don't get it. I feel like they're wasting their time. why study the past? why study a dead language? even better, why "honor" the past?

and why are we so quick to scorn our own experience?

when you read about a member of the faculty at your college it's often going to say something like "specific interest include WWI-era Macedonian rural society" or something. why? if you want to study a society why not study the one you live in or one someone in the world lives in?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
JayGuevara
Hellbound

JayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJayGuevara is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Cuz you can't very well study the future.

And we live in the present, so most of us have a fairly decent grasp on what's happening around us in 2008.

Limits the options quite a bit I'd say.
JayGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Are you serious?
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
when you read about a member of the faculty at your college it's often going to say something like "specific interest include WWI-era Macedonian rural society" or something. why? if you want to study a society why not study the one you live in or one someone in the world lives in?

Haha^^

Well, we should honor the past because that has brought us to what we are now, where we are, and where we are going in the future. We learn from past mistakes and learn alot of the present from the past.

I agree though, it is overated, like someone majoring in history, what are you going to be, a librarian? Someone in a museum? A teacher? Doesn't offer good pay for something "So important".
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

You know what's BS?

International students that have to take US history. That's probably their hardest class.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
like someone majoring in history, what are you going to be, a librarian? Someone in a museum? A teacher? Doesn't offer good pay for something "So important".

THey're called "authors" and they make more $ than you ever will.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Everything we as a people basically learn is the "Past"
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Emile
National High School Star

Emile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected posterEmile is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Are you serious?

Yeah, really.

The fascination with past is that uhhmmm...past is fascinating. I really can't put it any differently. I mean, if it's not your thing, it's okay but as you said, some of the smartest people you know are historians so that would explain why you're not into it. :) J/K.
Personally I'm not much into it either but I do see the fascination of all parts of history, it's just that I feel it's too time consuming and occupying so I quit easily because just thinking about the lengths I'd need to get into make me wanna watch the basketball game instead which is a pity.

As for people focusing on specific issues, well, they're enthusiasts. I can get that. It's not too rewarding in money but it is spiritually.
Emile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Patterns? Maybe? Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it, or however that saying goes?

That and interest. It makes sense that way more interesting things would've probably happened over the past kabillion (or 6000 - whatever you want to believe) years than what is happening right at this very moment.

I've seen a post like this from you before, but it was centered more around nostalgia.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
DieHardBullsFan
Da Bulls! Da Bears!

DieHardBullsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
This is something I've never understood.

For example: why do so many people study Latin? Yeah I get it- Latin language and Roman culture form a huge basis for the western experience/language. but beyond that what is the point of studying it? so many people are so impassioned about specifically what happened in these people's lives. not to apply it to the present and future. why?

some of the smartest people I know are either historians or soon to be historians. and I don't get it. I feel like they're wasting their time. why study the past? why study a dead language? even better, why "honor" the past?

and why are we so quick to scorn our own experience?

for myself I always found the past interesting and how people lived back in the day thats why Im always watching The History channel when Im not watching sports......good stuff to me!
DieHardBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

The most important and obvious answer to anyone with half a brain is that the past shows us what mistakes we've made and sometimes even how to not repeat them.

The past is just a collection of experiences, and experience is what makes us what we are.

If someone didn't study the reaction of lightning in the sky at some point, we wouldn't have had electricity. If some crazy person didn't play with electricity, we wouldn't have electrical welding.

Just one example in a billion.

On a more personal level, most people focus on their own past because they have regrets. Maybe they feel like they would have liked to have done things differently. Made they just plain feel like they've lost the part of their life where they were the happiest, like before losing a loved one.

Really, for a college student to ask this kind of a question is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM   #12
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface

I doubt they would make more money then me. Anyways, theres only so much **** in history, their going to write about some family that escaped the hollocaust? Real original, everything is already written about, majority of it anyways. I know I'm going to make much more money then someone who writes about something that has been written about for years now.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Yeah, really.

The fascination with past is that uhhmmm...past is fascinating.
whenever I take Intro (Something) the first lesson is always "Why Study (Something)?"

and the answer always comes in 2 parts: it's interesting in its own right and it has practical applications to how we live like others have mentioned.

but what I mean is I don't understand why people study history when they could study anthropology or sociology.

anthro and soc have basis in history. they take the facts, which is history, and THEY'RE the ones who actually do something with it... not historians. historians just kind of live in the past and give other social scientists material to analyze. now, obviously there's a lot of overlap, as there should be; many anthropologists are also historians. but many historians, too, are "just" historians and that's what I don't get. history is a primary basis for social science but by itself, all it is is stuff that's already happened. how anyone could study history and not seek to make sociological/anthropological advances with what they learn is what has me lost.

Quote:
I can tell you pretty authoritatively this isn't true. authors don't make ****. even the ones you've heard of don't make as much as you think. but you haven't heard of 98% of authors, and very few can live off what their books bring in alone.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Actually there are a lot of millionaire historians. A small %, but a lot compared to what you probably think, Geewiz.

If you think historians just look at the facts, write them down and that's it, then you haven't met a great historian.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

geewiz come on. how can we understand who we are if we don't study the past?

thats the reason so many of us are so ignorant. including myself... we don't know enough about where things come from and how they came to be...

Last edited by final.wrath : 03-20-2008 at 10:07 PM.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: