Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
impulsive shallow thought.

geewiz come on. how can we understand who we are if we don't study the past?

thats the reason so many of us are so ignorant. including myself... we don't know enough about where things come from and how they came to be...

ON THIS NOTE.

THE PAST OF ISH.

-primetime- was proven to be a different person then DoomsDay and Romo. Everyone knows this except you. I'm just saying this now to clear it up and it never happens again.

But anyways, Starface your an idiot for you comment.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:08 PM   #17
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

The person you're describing doesn't really exist. No one is randomly studying history and logging it away to not be seen by any analyst. Every detail has importance to geologists, sociologists, anthropologists, political analysts, geographers, ecologists...the list goes on and on.

Research is funded, and grants or proposals have a clear intent.

You're describing a hobby.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:15 PM   #18
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
-primetime- was proven to be a different person then DoomsDay and Romo. Everyone knows this except you. I'm just saying this now to clear it up and it never happens again.

most of the people who actually have been around for HowardDirk41 already guessed dooms is romo/primetime.

that jeff or steve pointed out they have different IP adresses doesn't mean anything. how would you explain Dooms posting under whatever name he was using when he was IP banned?

the guy is a schizophrenic at least in the online sense. he was so embarassed that everyone was picking on him he formed two usernames. its easy to tell they are the same.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM   #19
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
most of the people who actually have been around for HowardDirk41 already guessed dooms is romo/primetime.

I was around while Howard/Romo was being exposed, and I know who else was there, and I know they don't think -primetime- is Romo.

Quote:
that jeff or steve pointed out they have different IP adresses doesn't mean anything. how would you explain Dooms posting under whatever name he was using when he was IP banned?

I could be IP Banned, I know how to come back to ISH, it's not that difficult, just some reseach is needed. That point proves nothing.

Quote:
the guy is a schizophrenic at least in the online sense. he was so embarassed that everyone was picking on him he formed two usernames. its easy to tell they are the same.

Loaded statements, doesn't prove anything or provide facts. This is how I know you know nothing of this situation because A) he was already exposed then he got embarrased and created MANY accounts. Some like Imagine, romoBoys etc. We know exactly how he looks like, that fat dude with no hair. Then B) Primetime's picture got put up and although he was embarrased at the time, he faced it that everyone knew him and that was that. Then C) through people accusing them, Dooms puts up pictures of him and, for some reason his family as well, then through even more accusations he gets a picture of himself with his username written on it.

Really. There is no one else who believes this. Only you.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #20
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
I can tell you pretty authoritatively this isn't true. authors don't make ****. even the ones you've heard of don't make as much as you think. but you haven't heard of 98% of authors, and very few can live off what their books bring in alone.

im not talking about random authors that write romance novels and such

i'm talking about authors with degrees in history who research and then publish text books. Next time you're in a book store go check out how much a college history text book costs. Look at the name's of the co-authors of the books. THey are making bank off of that book. You know how hard and exhaustive it is to make a history textbook? thats why they cost so much. trust me the people who write 'em get rewarded.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation herebrantonli has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You know what's BS?

International students that have to take US history. That's probably their hardest class.

Heh, when I came to England, I thought that I might have to learn about the Staurts and Tudors and whatnot. Thankfully we are just covering the World Wars and the Cold War.

As for Latin and Greek? They help you become a better linguist. I wonder, have yoyu ever taken Latin or Greek geewhiz? If you have, then I am slightly puzzled at the question, but if you haven't, then these kinds dead languages have all sorts of links with European languages. For instance:

Volvo- I roll (Latin)
Volvo- a car company (the wheels roll)

See? That's a connections with the modern language, and while yoyu may call it useless, I would call it interesting.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:59 PM   #22
-primetime-

smart people want to study history because it is fun and interesting....i watch the history channel all the time...

how cool would that be to uncover a hidden tomb in Egypt or something???....it would make you feel like Indiana Jones...

and btw....this was my first time to open this thread and I can not believe that finalwrath has already polluted it with me being Dooms and Romo....

Jesus Christ....PM Jeff and he will tell you that our IP addresses are from DIFFERENT LOCATIONS ON THE PLANET!!!!...he proved to everyone else we are not the same person...you have been obsessed with this for too long....it is time for you to move on buddy....
Old 03-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #23
Day La Ghetto
Decent college freshman

Day La Ghetto has an OK reputation so far

Does anybody else think this topic is stupid? I mean what the shtt?
Day La Ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:50 AM   #24
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You know what's BS?

International students that have to take US history. That's probably their hardest class.
Not if you're Canadian. Canadians generally know scores more about U.S. history than Americans.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #25
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

As a man with a History degree, and who is currently involved with Historical research, I am officially registering my disapproval of this thread.

Last edited by kwajo : 03-21-2008 at 08:10 AM.
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #26
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Geewiz, do you have a fascination with your own PERSONAL past, or do you find that and general history to be uninteresting in general?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

everybody studies the past. cant study the present since it is not a tangible thing (I.e. the present changed while I was typing this). even by the time the light from a microscope hits my eye, what Im seeing is in the past.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
im not talking about random authors that write romance novels and such

i'm talking about authors with degrees in history who research and then publish text books. Next time you're in a book store go check out how much a college history text book costs. Look at the name's of the co-authors of the books. THey are making bank off of that book. You know how hard and exhaustive it is to make a history textbook? thats why they cost so much. trust me the people who write 'em get rewarded.
no they arent. most prof who write textbooks dont make much off of them. definitely not a way to get rich. write fiction if you want to get rich.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How can you not be fascinated about history? It can explain how things work the way they do now. It can expose/reveal things you had no idea about and could alter/change your perspective. The whole idea of learning how things once were before you in itself is what intrigues people. Lots of times its beneficial, other times its just things to know. If there were videos of the past on the game of basketball. I mean say they had complete games the whole nine of the 50's, 60's, 70's so you can watch players you never seen before. Gurantee you would be interested and watch. Lots would. Why? Why do you wanna see how Oscar Robertson played.

Come on GeeWizzle, what are you pulling a fast one here?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #30
Chitwood67
I airball my layups

Chitwood67 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
when you read about a member of the faculty at your college it's often going to say something like "specific interest include WWI-era Macedonian rural society" or something.
Yeah, a lot of them have obscure expertise.

Hiatory is important, though. Now that more and more young people are getting into politics, I think they need to focus even more on history. History can be looked at a little more objectively than the present because we're not so much connected to history as we are with the present. Studying history taught me to be more objective about politics, and it also taught me that many important facts about world events don't even become public knowledge until many years later. (i,e. Nixon and Kissinger were very secretive about the Chinese negotiations because it was typically considered taboo to become friendly with a communist nation, Truman had lower approval ratings than Bush I believe and now is considered by many to be a patriot.)So, the world isn't as "black and white" as many people seem to think.

With so much political bias on both sides of the aisle, I think that history shows people that the world is a lot more complex than what they see on television and youtube, read on internet forums and blogs, read in newspapers and magazines, and hear from politicians.
Chitwood67 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: