Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-22-2008, 02:58 PM   #31
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You know what's BS?

International students that have to take US history. That's probably their hardest class.

That is the stupidest thing you have ever said.

OMG DOOD I haVe to take latin american History. I's gonna fale.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Yeah lets just keep doing this over and over eh?

we learn the best of ourselves and the worst of ourselves from studying the past... hopefully we learn a little something along the way
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
That is the stupidest thing you have ever said.

OMG DOOD I haVe to take latin american History. I's gonna fale.

@mocking him, man im dying.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
-primetime-

let me defend the OP for a second...

he is ignorant to think that history is a waste of time and that it means nothing blah blah blah.....obviously history is very important...

but he did mention one thing I kind of agree with...(in a sense)

If my son came up to me and told me that he is going to college for 4 years to learn how to speak Latin (or any other language that no longer exists) then I would strongly urge him not to do so and I would tell him that there are much more important things he could do with his life...

I am not saying that it isn't important to have people on this planet to know past langauges in order to decode the past or whatever...and if there were only a few people on this planet left that could speak it then I wouldn't think this way and I would urge him to learn it due to the fact that thier are so few left....but that isn't the case....IMO spending your college years (at this point in time) learning to speak Latin would be an enormous waste of time and money...JUST MY OPINION
Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 PM   #35
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
If my son came up to me and told me that he is going to college for 4 years to learn how to speak Latin (or any other language that no longer exists) then I would strongly urge him not to do so and I would tell him that there are much more important things he could do with his life...

I am not saying that it isn't important to have people on this planet to know past langauges in order to decode the past or whatever...and if there were only a few people on this planet left that could speak it then I wouldn't think this way and I would urge him to learn it due to the fact that thier are so few left....but that isn't the case....IMO spending your college years (at this point in time) learning to speak Latin would be an enormous waste of time and money...JUST MY OPINION

well yeah, if you were just to learn how to speak Latin, that would a pretty worthless class. but as a person who has taken 3 years of Latin, speech is only one part of it, and usually that part is usually focused on during the early sessions of class, the rest of it is learning about the roman empire, and everything else during that time period.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #36
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Joker
well yeah, if you were just to learn how to speak Latin, that would a pretty worthless class. but as a person who has taken 3 years of Latin, speech is only one part of it, and usually that part is usually focused on during the early sessions of class, the rest of it is learning about the roman empire, and everything else during that time period.
I hope I didn't offend you in any way....it is your life to do as you please, and if that is what makes you happy then so be it....

seems to me that you were really studying Roman history though
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #37
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?
It's fascinating.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #38
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I hope I didn't offend you in any way....it is your life to do as you please, and if that is what makes you happy then so be it....

seems to me that you were really studying Roman history though

oh god no i wasn't offended lol, it was in high school, and i was kinda forced to take 3 years of it. like im now in college and will be taking Japanese, but yeah Latin is terribly boring stuff, but the language is really not a large part of studying it.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:27 AM   #39
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:

This strikes me as a side issue completely. There are a lot of stupid courses you have to take in college that have nothing to do with the degree you're working towards. This is a problem with the collegiate system though, nothing to do with history.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM   #40
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
This strikes me as a side issue completely. There are a lot of stupid courses you have to take in college that have nothing to do with the degree you're working towards. This is a problem with the collegiate system though, nothing to do with history.

Mathius
I was saying if he were to make it his major....not just some side course
Old 03-23-2008, 03:08 AM   #41
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I was saying if he were to make it his major....not just some side course

i think a problem is people go to college just as a vocational school for a profession. instead, i would prefer if more people went just to learn about something interesting, and then after, choose to go whatever route youd like. i cant stand my friends who b*tch about having to take english classes because theyre angling to go to uclas dental school.

as for studying the past, i guess i understand where the op is coming from, though using that logic, why study anything?
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:35 AM   #42
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

As an Economic History major, I can safely say this thread is retarded.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:14 AM   #43
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
i think a problem is people go to college just as a vocational school for a profession. instead, i would prefer if more people went just to learn about something interesting, and then after, choose to go whatever route youd like. i cant stand my friends who b*tch about having to take english classes because theyre angling to go to uclas dental school.

as for studying the past, i guess i understand where the op is coming from, though using that logic, why study anything?

Who has the money for that unless you make it to be a doctor or professor and you're rolling in the dough?

Christ, it's like $1000 a semester just for books in some places.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:37 AM   #44
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

geeWiz is a great example of what i like to call a pseudointellectual.

studying social sciences, and arguing how history is useless? wow, just wow. left me speechless.

metaphorically, geeWiz is arguing that running doesn't have to do anything with playing basketball. or that people who compete in track and field disciplines are crazy because they're not applying their athleticism to basketball.
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #45
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
@mocking him, man im dying.

JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: