Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Default transition help

sup. first off, im 17, 6'4" 210 and will start my 2nd varsity year this upcoming year. i have a 28+ vert and better then decent ball handling skills. problem is, in my state, anybody who is over 6'2" is automatically considerd a forward or center. So, i post up almost exclusively because my team wont admit i can play perimeter ball well and play it even better then i post up. i even play a slasher role better then posting up. but my team (my coach included) wont admit that i can light it up from the outside and they all scream at me to "get my fat a$$ back in the paint". wtf, i know...

i dominate when i play against the local college hoops guys and i know that even though i can play forward now i wont be able to play it in college myself.
im not even the tallest on the team with two guys taller then me coming in at 6'5" 195 and 6'6" 235 so its not like they really need me down on the blocks or the team will take a hit. How can i develope my teammates trust in me during this upcoming off season hoops session? How can i dispel the myth that i cant play guard?
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
ABPrints
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: transition help

If you have intentions of playing college ball, maybe a talk with the coach will help, otherwise best to do what he wants. BUT, a good coach will groom his kids for the next level. When I played HS, the tallest kid in our district (not my team though), even though he was only 6'7" played the perimeter only because that was where he was to play the next year.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
theparade
I usually hit open layups

Talk to the coach, tell him about your feelings.
theparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
ILballa
National High School Star

Yeah. Just tell the coach and see what he thinks.
ILballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

aight then. ill give my coach a call. but what about my teammates? how can i make them understand that im trying to expand my game?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
hito da god
look that way >>>>

I had the same exact problem my junior and senior years of high school. I'm 6'4 and was the second tallest on the team. Our coach was a retard though. I wasn't the best shooter from the perimeter, but my strength is in slashing and making plays or pulling up for a midrange jumper. We had a guy 6'6 who could light it up from 3 point land but he was a huge pu$sy, so he was never in the post and he couldn't slash to the basket to save his mothers life. In turn, coach parked me in the post and I rarely got to operate from mid range, let alone the perimeter. He ran a horrible offense to say the least. I sulked in the role though instead of embracing it. I suggest you embrace that role but also talk to the coach about throwing in a few plays where you can come up to the perimeter to add another dimension to the teams game. Hopefully your coach isn't as big of a retard as mine was and is.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
emsteez forreal
iWANNAgoHIGHER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
I had the same exact problem my junior and senior years of high school. I'm 6'4 and was the second tallest on the team. Our coach was a retard though. I wasn't the best shooter from the perimeter, but my strength is in slashing and making plays or pulling up for a midrange jumper. We had a guy 6'6 who could light it up from 3 point land but he was a huge pu$sy, so he was never in the post and he couldn't slash to the basket to save his mothers life. In turn, coach parked me in the post and I rarely got to operate from mid range, let alone the perimeter. He ran a horrible offense to say the least. I sulked in the role though instead of embracing it. I suggest you embrace that role but also talk to the coach about throwing in a few plays where you can come up to the perimeter to add another dimension to the teams game. Hopefully your coach isn't as big of a retard as mine was and is.

yeah that's a big problem . i'm only 6'2 and i'm referred to as "big man" . and i would much rather play point guard than anything else .
emsteez forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #8
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

well...
i talked to my coach about it and he said that even since we were so deep in the post position, he is planning on running a two guard, three big starting five and that he was counting on me playing small forward.

grrrrr....

know what, ive decided im still going to play it like a guard instead of a forward. if hes got an issue with that... well, ill embrace the role then...

and still launch threes anyways
Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
v-unit
Very good NBA starter

I had the same problem. You definatly have to play a guard in practise. You have to assert yourself that you are a guard and for a week or two keeping playing guard, then people will see you outside of the key, then when a game comes, it won't be a shock to anyone.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #10
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

okay, update time.

ive gotten some intrest from some junior colleges after they saw me playing pickup ball against some of the local college redshirt freshman. one of the coaches said that as well as i was playing that night he would gladly accept me at his college at the guard position because hes seen me work out and he understands how hard i work. he tells me that even though i havent practiced guard alot throughout my career i still have above avg. ball handling, good basketball IQ and tenacity and i should be able to adapt to any where from div.2 even to division 1 ball.

well...

i told my coach about this and he asked for the number the guy gave me. he said he wanted to check it out and give any support he could. i got a call back last night from the guy who saw me play and told me that apparently "i wasnt the basketball material his organization was looking for" and he offered me his "condolences".

i honestly dont understand. im not sure if my coach offended the guy or if they got a better prospect from somewhere else, but im in the dark right now. my coach said that he wanted whats best for the team, no matter what. uh... isnt whats best for me also best for the team? if i score 20 points a game at guard instead of 14 at forward, isnt that better for the team? Ive still got lots of summer camps to get looked at but... i had definate intrest and either somthing i did or somthing else that happend killed that.

but ive decided that im going to focus on just playing guard. its where ive got a chance for better schooling for cheaper. if that really hurts the team, then ill ride pine.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Update:

I have verbal commitment to play college ball at TVCS... Its a small community college between Boise and Spokane. I will actually remain one of the taller players with only a 6'9" center and a 6'6" small forward ahead of me (both seniors after this year). I have no problem with this. The school has everything I want and need, I get to play basketball all I want and I get to do it all on scholarship.

Thanks for the advice everybody gave me! It really helped
Old 06-02-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Grats, I wish you luck.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
hito da god
look that way >>>>

Congrats man... Keep up the hard work while you're at school, maybe one day we'll see each other at JUCO nationals or something lol
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: