Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

At halftime, it's Argentina 48, Slovenia 42 at the Singapore Philips cup.

"Deer in headlights" Udrih 12 points so far, looking really good, aided by the piss-poor defense of the Argentinian point guards whose names I've forgotten (no Pepe Sanchez yet for some reason, though)
Nesterovic started out great with 8 points in the first but hasn't played since, with Brezec and Slokar subbing in. It's strange how un-stiff he looks in international play..

Delfino leading Argentina with about 14, didn't start but came off the bench to really kick his team into a higher gear after Nocioni got a technical for kicking (and breaking!) an advertisement board
Scola scored 11, he has really wonderful footwork and somebody should try to get this guy's rights from the Spurs
Manu with 9 or 10 points, mostly invisible but with a few nice floaters and a cute dunk

A Slovenian player got called for "dangerous play" trying to undercut Delfino, so Delfino got a freethrow after making his layup plus possession afterwards, I don't think I've seen that called in the NBA. Also, an Argie got called for a tech for flopping, which was good to see. Overall a pretty testy affair with Argentina hitting the penalty half-way through the first quarter and probably picking up at least 16, 17 fouls in the half, Slovenia over a dozen as well, and a few scuffles breaking out here and there. More intense than I expected a preparation match to be, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'll probably recap the rest and the Spain - Serbia game if anybody cares, later on. Is anybody else getting these matches?
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #17
Pokl
I Hit Open Layups

Pokl has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboloid
At halftime, it's Argentina 48, Slovenia 42 at the Singapore Philips cup.

"Deer in headlights" Udrih 12 points so far, looking really good, aided by the piss-poor defense of the Argentinian point guards whose names I've forgotten (no Pepe Sanchez yet for some reason, though)
Nesterovic started out great with 8 points in the first but hasn't played since, with Brezec and Slokar subbing in. It's strange how un-stiff he looks in international play..

Delfino leading Argentina with about 14, didn't start but came off the bench to really kick his team into a higher gear after Nocioni got a technical for kicking (and breaking!) an advertisement board
Scola scored 11, he has really wonderful footwork and somebody should try to get this guy's rights from the Spurs
Manu with 9 or 10 points, mostly invisible but with a few nice floaters and a cute dunk

A Slovenian player got called for "dangerous play" trying to undercut Delfino, so Delfino got a freethrow after making his layup plus possession afterwards, I don't think I've seen that called in the NBA. Also, an Argie got called for a tech for flopping, which was good to see. Overall a pretty testy affair with Argentina hitting the penalty half-way through the first quarter and probably picking up at least 16, 17 fouls in the half, Slovenia over a dozen as well, and a few scuffles breaking out here and there. More intense than I expected a preparation match to be, so I'm pretty pleased.

I'll probably recap the rest and the Spain - Serbia game if anybody cares, later on. Is anybody else getting these matches?

No i was just wondering if i can watch them anywhere.But please send a final score.Thanks
Pokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #18
eboloid
Flash Gordo

And suddenly it's a blowout, 77-49 Argentina after 3. Nocioni started the third, was slashing and getting to the rim at will, sinking mid-range jumpers, Oberto found himself alone in the paint a few times and the Argentian PG shot him a few nifty passes, channeling Steve Nash. Just as soon as Argentina tightened up their defense, Slovenia started forcing the offense, bricked everything (Rasho with a 3 off the side of the board) and simply kept losing the ball.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:10 AM   #19
eboloid
Flash Gordo

Final score, 94-72 Argentina.

Rasho 13/10, Beno 18 points and the only one who could make anything happen.
Scola 21/8, Nocioni 19 points

Argentina got outrebounded by a small margin, Slovenia couldn't hit their free throws. Argentina are looking really strong, played nothing at all like they did vs. Serbia, according to the commentators.

All games shown on Star Sports in Asia, so if you're outside south-eastern Asia or possibly in Australia and want to watch, you're probably SOL. The games might show up on some torrent sites, though.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #20
allball
National High School Star

allball has decent reputationallball has decent reputation
Default ...

hope to see Darko against Howard, Bosh and / or Brand. especially Howard though because it will be his only opportunity. I'm sure Howard would like it too.
allball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #21
darkofan
Banned

darkofan has an OK reputation so far
Default Serbia just got blown off by Spain

...it's our eight consecutive loss against them in the last five years. They used to beat us even when we were world and european champs.

It's a good reality check for us, for we are certainly not a top tier nation anymore.

Darko went for 13 pts, our best scorer. Gasol scored just 10.
darkofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #22
eboloid
Flash Gordo

Geez, Darko kinda sucked and I can see why LB didn't like his attitude. For the most part Gasol and he neutralized each other, but when things started to go against Darko, he started whining, collecting a tech and generally would be a non-factor on offense. He showed a lot of activity on D, but preferred to shoot from the arc going the other way since he couldn't (or wouldn't) get good position on the block and saw little of the ball.

I was suprised to discover Pau had a brother named Marc also on the national team, and the two look, like, well, brothers. Marc's a tiny bit less hairy, though.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 AM   #23
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

I don't see how the inexperienced US front line will contain Scola and Oberto
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #24
KempSonics
Local High School Star

KempSonics has an OK reputation so far
Default ...

Delfino better get a lot of PT for Detroit this year. The guy is outplaying Manu, Nocioni, Scola, everyone on Argentina. If they don't play him he'll be the new Darko. Delfino can play. With Delfino, McDyess, Flip Murray, Hunter and Dale Davis I think Detroit's bench might be pretty good.
KempSonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:17 AM   #25
darkofan
Banned

Default I can imagine

Quote:
Geez, Darko kinda sucked and I can see why LB didn't like his attitude. For the most part Gasol and he neutralized each other, but when things started to go against Darko, he started whining, collecting a tech and generally would be a non-factor on offense. He showed a lot of activity on D, but preferred to shoot from the arc going the other way since he couldn't (or wouldn't) get good position on the block and saw little of the ball.

I was suprised to discover Pau had a brother named Marc also on the national team, and the two look, like, well, brothers. Marc's a tiny bit less hairy, though.

...Darko being like that, it's an unfortunate trait of his character. However, this is probably the first game he plays with this kind of attitude - in all our previous games, he was the MVP. So, no worries there. What's more, he scored 3 points more than Gasol, and he can hardly count on refs being on his side or on any help from other Serbian big men, for they mostly suck.

On the other hand, Spain does not respect Serbia plain and simple - and they're right, that's why they have beaten us in the last 8 games (preparations included). The other reason being they are very good, tough and have been playing together for a long time.

If we can avoid Spain until the semis, we have a shot at a medal, just like all second tier teams (the top tier teams being the USA, Argentina and Spain...)
Old 08-13-2006, 01:32 PM   #26
eboloid
Flash Gordo

So, Serbia lost to Slovenia 76-72 (did this result spark a new civil war yet? So I like genocide jokes, sue me) and Argentina got blown out by Spain.

What have we learned from this little mock-tournament? Slovenia aren't very good, and Serbia are kind of in-between, strong play by their guards, Rakocevic and Popovic (no relation), Darko showing flashes AGAIN but absolutely incapable of dominance. He's such a strange character, playing quarters that make me want to speak of him in Fordesque praises, then suddenly he will go sour and cancerous. Weird guy. Maybe he should spend his summers with Dirk's mentor to teach him some balance.

Spain won the tournament, and their MVP Juan Carlos Navarro received two Philips electric razors (no, seriously, he did). The Spanish were just ridiculously hot, hitting around 50% of their long-range shots and shooting 60% overall before the Argentinians raised the white flag. Argentina really didn't play at all well offensively and it looked like it affected their motivation on D, and they looked tired, worn, drugged, something's wrong with that team, they really need to wake up or face serious disappointment in Japan.

Spain, on the other hand, looked crisp and extremely motivated, quick and deadly on the break, every player can including the bigs shoot well when left open. Navarro is the one player (other than the always-solid Gasol) who can really hurt his opponent, he's not really an athletic game-changer like the Argentina swings, but he will kick you in the balls if ever lazily defended. Calderon makes the whole team work even though his contributions don't really show up in the box score, he probably averaged like 8/2/2 in the three games. Overall, a very talented and dangerous team but I can't shake the feeling that they won't get past the quarter-finals like their football world cup brethren. So, catch as many Spain games as you can because Gasol/Navarro are awesome to watch.

Unfortunately, I still don't see how any of those teams could stifle the hyperathleticism of the USAB team. The Americans just can't be as overconfident as they were in Athens, can they? At least Carmelo really seems like he's on a mission and I wish I could see the games but basketball, for some reason is treated as the red-headed stepchild of ESPN Asia and I don't have a broadband connection so I could watch the streams so prominently advertised 'round here.

My still-favorite international player: Andres Nocioni. He looks so awkward and kind of chubby, but still so effective. I've never seen another player as happy as him to draw (real) charges. So awesome. His opponents even enjoy fouling him.

Least favorite: Marko Milic. Cocky, but with few skills other than dunking and the occasional long-range shot, the Balkan JR Smith except he looks like he's like 35 years old. I wish I'd flown to S'pore just so I could have gotten the chance to punch him in his ugly square Yugo mug.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #27
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

I've been discussing the results of the Spain-Argentina game on another board. GOD DAMN Spain is good. They are probably the team to beat for #1 right now.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #28
eboloid
Flash Gordo

I don't know if I'd put Spain at #1 but they've definitely looked good in a limited sample. With the decline of Serbia, Turkey and Italy, the field is kind of thin anyways. Who are the reasonable favorites, now, anyways? Spain, Argentina, USA, France? China sucks, Brazil aren't great, Germany are a one-man team for the most part, Lithuania aren't going to make a difference. Greece? **** Greece.

The Spanish backcourt isn't exactly a defensive marvel, the American team should really have a big advantage, but Spain's big guys should match up very well against the weak USA bigs.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #29
Albator102004
I hit open layups

Albator102004 has an OK reputation so far

USA will be champ.

FRANCE will get silver medal (Parker, Diaw...not bad).
Albator102004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 AM   #30
darkofan
Banned

Default is' true

Quote:
Darko showing flashes AGAIN but absolutely incapable of dominance. He's such a strange character, playing quarters that make me want to speak of him in Fordesque praises, then suddenly he will go sour and cancerous. Weird guy. Maybe he should spend his summers with Dirk's mentor to teach him some balance.

...Right on the money. Darko needs a shrink. But then again, half of the NBA (at best) does.

As for Marko Milic, he's actually 30 and not 35, but it doesn't matter, it's true he's not productive as he used to be...

Good post.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: