Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool
Default 2008-09 Depth Chart, comments?

Presenting your Toronto Raptors

Saw a depth chart buried in another thread somewhere. (Could not find on quick search. Merge?)

Anyway, with the signings made official it look like this is it. Only the 13th man missing, + a possible future D league type call up for #14?

PG: Calderon, Ukic, #13

SG: Parker, (Kapono), Adams, (Ukic), (#13)

SF: Kapono or Moon, Graham, (Adams)

PF: Bosh, Bargnani, Humphries

C: O'Neil, Nathan Jawai, (Bargnani)
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 2008-09 Depth Chart, comments?

Depth isn't looking too great which normally isn't a huge issue, but with our wings so weak, it's a concern.

Jawai will be a non factor. Our big man rotation is quite solid with Bosh, JO, Bargs and Hump. We'll probably have Bargs and Hump backup JO, or have Bosh slide to C when JO is out etc etc.

Adams will most likely be a non factor too. So our wings will be Parker, Kapono and Moon. Not pretty. We desparately need an addition there.

Jose and Ukic at the 1.

8 man rotation of Jose, Parker, Moon, Kapono, Bosh, JO, Bargs, Hump. 9th and 10th men will be Ukic or some other vet PG and then scrub mins for any of Adams/Graham.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

From what I heard, Jawai will be playing in Europe this season...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
Nooooooooooooooooooo! I wanted to see him play. Awww ****, probably for the best.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low

Thought I read the same thing. But, who else they got?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

I think they roll with a 4 man big rotation of Bosh, JO, Bargs and Hump. Definitely above average starters and bench I think.

If we aren't going over the tax, then I think we have to deal Parker and his expiring deal for a wing. I don't expect a miracle all-star, but someone with more upside and who isn't as good as gone in a year (or less).

The Garbajosa buy out was weird. Him and Parker combined was close to $9 mill expiring. That could have gotten something decent.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Too_Cool
Great young streetballer

Too_Cool has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan

The Garbajosa buy out was weird. Him and Parker combined was close to $9 mill expiring. That could have gotten something decent.

Yeah, wtf eh?
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

What about Ricky Davis to help at the wing.

I'll be the first guy to say that I have never liked Ricky and I think he can be a very lazy, unmotivated, cancer but when he actually wants to play he can score the ball.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Good Old Willy
DBDs

The consensus (of the online Toronto media like DSmith) is that Kapono starting finally realizes his potential with O'Neil under the basket.

However, thought this was concise and well reasoned:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm...opRelated_main

Quote:
... Even Kapono, the most experienced and well-paid player on the reserve unit still has to prove that his electrifying breakout in the Playoffs can be translated into the regular season. There are those that would like to see him reinserted into the starting five, but doing so would leave only Bargnani as any kind of a scoring threat off of the bench, which wouldn't seem to serve any of those involved particularly well. As a reserve, Kapono can get more touches and more control in the offense as opposed to being a fourth or fifth option in the starting five....

Personally I like Parker, Moon, Kapono used interchangebly at the 2/3. Maybe about 30 mpg each.

Half way down the season, (assuming O'neil is healthy and Okic is playing up to the hype) I kind of like this look to build a lead...
Off: ONeil, Bosh, Kapono, Parker, Calderon

... and this defensive unit to close the game...
Def: ONeil, Bosh, Moon, Parker, Ukic

Am I misremembering something? The scouting on Ukic (6-5) is that he is a good shooter and defender, but under-developed + underused at PG.

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 07-09-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I think we will see a unit rotation like this.

Starting
Calderon
Parker
Moon
Bosh
JO

First sub
Ukic
Parker
Kapono
Bosh
Bargs

Second sub
Ukic
Kapono
Moon
Bargs
JO
(I think this one will be interesting, maximizing production from both bargs and Kapono)

Third sub
Calderon
Adams
Kapono
Bosh
JO

Final sub (close game out)
Calderon
Parker
Kapono
Bosh
JO
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Personally I'd still start Moon but who gets the most minutes in each game would depend on the matchups. If the other team is putting out someone immobile at the 3 then Kapono might be able to play more since he wouldn't have to work hard on D.

But in general I'm not really a fan of Kapono starting and playing anything more than 15-20 minutes per game at most. He is completely a 1-dimensional player who should only get major minutes if the team is DESPERATE for outside shooting. The Raptors already have Parker and Calderon so they are not. Maybe play him in spurts when the team needs to go on a run later in the game as well but he is not a player who should be getting big minutes IMO.

Moon really needs to cut down his 3pt attempts. Cut those down and he turns into an efficient offensive player. But even with his flaw there, I like his athleticism, defense (relative to Kapono), rebounding and finishing skills around the rim. Bosh and O'Neal are going to command a lot of attention around the rim and I think Moon will be getting to many loose balls because of this and giving the Raptors a huge advantage on the offensive boards.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #12
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
Half way down the season, (assuming O'neil is healthy and Okic is playing up to the hype) I kind of like this look to build a lead...
Off: ONeil, Bosh, Kapono, Parker, Calderon

... and this defensive unit to close the game...
Def: ONeil, Bosh, Moon, Parker, Ukic

Am I misremembering something? The scouting on Ukic (6-5) is that he is a good shooter and defender, but under-developed + underused at PG.

Ukic will have to play pretty darn great for me to be comfortable with a rookie pg playing 4th quarter close out mins. It just won't happen. You don't have Jose your long term starting PG sitting on the bench at the end of games, D issue aside. It's not like the Suns sit Nash for the same reasons in favour of D.J. Strawberry.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #13
RapsFan
Great college starter

[quote=Qwyjibo]

But in general I'm not really a fan of Kapono starting and playing anything more than 15-20 minutes per game at most. QUOTE]

That makes spending the entire MLE on Kapono pretty ugly if that is all he is capable of.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
What about Ricky Davis to help at the wing.

I'll be the first guy to say that I have never liked Ricky and I think he can be a very lazy, unmotivated, cancer but when he actually wants to play he can score the ball.
Nah..im not down with Ricky. No question about his skills ,but his character is something else.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
Nah..im not down with Ricky. No question about his skills ,but his character is something else.
If we can get Ricky with out going over the luxury tax, I would probably be down. I know he's dumb, but he would help us a lot in terms of wing scoring talent and overall depth.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: