Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Arrow Discuss the upcoming Sweet 16 (Thu and Fri)

SWEET 16: THU (MAR.27) NCAA TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
All times Eastern (ET)

7:10pm: (3) Xavier (29-6) vs (7) West Virginia (26-10)
7:27pm: (1) North Carolina (33-2) vs (4) Washington St. (26-8)
9:40pm: (1) UCLA (33-3) vs (12) West. Kentucky (28-6)
9:57pm: (2) Tennessee (30-4) vs (3) Louisville (25-8)

SWEET 16: FRI (MAR.28) NCAA TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
All times Eastern (ET)

7:10pm: (3) Wisconsin (31-4) vs (10) Davidson (27-6)
7:27pm: (2) Texas (29-6) vs (3) Stanford (28-7)
9:40pm: (1) Kansas (33-3) vs (12) Villanova (21-12)
9:57pm: (1) Memphis (34-1) vs (5) Michigan St. (27-8)

The two best games are easily the two 2-3 games.

Louisville/Tennessee could be the most intense game we've seen this season (think the first 5 or so minutes of Tenn/Memphis). The pressure defenses and team ball these teams play will hopefully make one of the most entertaining games we've seen in a long time. If one team doesn't show up, the other could take quick advantage, but I don't see this happening. I'll pick Louisville with the minor upset (there aren't any real upsets at this point).

Stanford/Texas is a contrast in styles. The two guard tandem of Augustin and Abrams vs the two forward tandem of the Lopez twins. This may come down to who will outplay each other between Texas' bigs and Stanford's guards. Both can step up as we have seen (Johnson with 16 assists/James with 16 rebounds), but if I had to choose, I'll take James, Mason, Atchley, etc. (who I've underrated at times this season) over Johnson and company. I think this will account for the slight margin of difference and Texas will win it. If the Lopez twins REALLY dominate though and get James in foul trouble, this could be a long night for Texas (bigs > guards). Really tough to decide.

The other games:

NC too much pressure on the WSU defense. Will be close till about 10 min. left and NC will win by about 8-10.

Kansas over Villanova by 15 or so.

Wisconsin outlasts David-son. Davidson almost pulls off another upset, but they will be playing against another great defensive team only Wisconsin has been much more effficient on offense than G'town lately. That combo will be a little more than Curry can handle.

UCLA will beat W. Kentucky, but I think it could actually stay close if Lee and Brazzleton step up. I see a game in the 60's and a 5-7 point win.

Xavier over WV only because I have them going to the finals. I really really really like WV's chances though. I'll just say that if Mazzula and Alexander play like they did against Duke, they win.

No decision for MSU/Memphis. Don't need people calling me biased.:)

I'll just give one optmistic and pessimistic outlook. Optimistic outlook = Memphis has been played close by lesser teams. State is better than Miss St in every respect. Memphis doesn't defend shooters well so if Neitzel, Lucas, Morgan and Allen can get some looks early they can spot themselves a nice lead. Memphis ft's obviously a concern. Memphis is inconsistent at shooting. They pick up bad fouls at times. I like MSU's bigs vs. Memphis'.

Pessimistic outlook = MSU horrible on offense at times. If Memphis can dictate tempo, they could run MSU out of the building, not because MSU can't run (they can quite well), but if the shots aren't falling it will only multiply the damage done. Can't get into foul trouble. Turnovers. Which Morgan will step up? Neitzel for that matter too. 3 Freshmen playing.

One of the highlights of the tournament for me will be Lucas and Rose going at it (even if Neitzel guards Rose mostly).

Last edited by insidehoops : 03-23-2008 at 10:12 PM.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
monthh
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Early look ahead to the sweet 16

I think this will be UNC toughest game by far. I had WSU in the Final Four last year because these players and their coach just have that winning mentality. This year they have the experience and will give UNC their best shot. Should be really close, but I think UNC ends up winning by less than 5.

I had Butler over Tennessee because I thought Tennessee was a team that would just blow it. They kind of remind me of Pitt where their players seem to get frustrated and lose their heads. I actually think Louisville wins this game by about 10. It will be close for a while, but Louisville will frustrate them and pull away in the last 5 minutes.

I like Kansas over Villanova, obviously. It will be like UNLV where they hang around, but Kansas ends up pulling away.

I have Wisconsin in the Final Four, but Davidson scares me. Wisconsin is kind of similar to Georgetown, so it should be a good game. It may come down to Wisconsin having a great coach (not that Davidson doesn't), more talent, and a week to prepare. I think Davidson has a shooters chance, but Wisconsin will have seen what worked and didn't work against Georgetown and have a great game plan coming in. I have Wisconsin by like 5 or 8.

Memphis and Michigan State could be a good game. Memphis always has that potential to just get out and run and get some easy points and pull away. Neitzel and their outside shooters need to hit their 3's becuase Memphis has a lot of tall players that can match up with MSU big men, unlike Pitt. I really can't figure out who I like in this game. Usually Izzo has an advatage and you would think would realize they need to get Memphis in foul trouble and use up your scrubs fouls to put Memphis on the line, but Calipari is a great coach as well and will have an equally good gameplan. In the end it really will come down to who executes their gameplan. I think the game will be decides by less than 3 or 4 points, and I guess I will take Memphis.

Texas and Stanford is another tough choice, but I think Texas can get to the basket and get the Lopez twins in some foul trouble. Then when they have to sit, if they can hit their threes and get some baskets inside, I think they can pull ahead until the Lopez twins come back and try to get them back into the game. I like Texas by about 10, but I think it will be closer until Texas gets some FT's at the end of the game.

I like UCLA over Western Kentucky. UCLA will be rested and ready to go after the Texas A&M game. I think it comes down to UCLA just being a better team. I like them by 10 or 15, but they will have controlled the game.

Xavier/West Virginia could be the game of the week I think. I have West Virginia in the Elite 8 so I hope they win, but Xavier will give them a real run. Alexander will have to be on from the start of the game because Xavier just seems to score even when they don't seem to be dominating. I can see WVU falling behind early if they aren't hot right from the start. In the end I am going to say West Virginia wins by 5 and Alexander has another 30 point game.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Man, UNC outscored the 1st and 2nd round opponents by a combination of 70 points. That's fairly impressive though, should have them in the final four(well, in Final four, you don't know whether UNC or Kansas will clinch the final).
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
AlThornton
I rule the local playground

Default Re: Discuss the upcoming Sweet 16 (Thu and Fri)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
State is better than Miss St in every respect.

I don't think Mich State is better defensively(at least in terms of fg%), and they don't block as many shots.
AlThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlThornton
I don't think Mich State is better defensively(at least in terms of fg%), and they don't block as many shots.

You're right about shot blocking....defensively though? Not this time of year.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #6
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Man, UNC outscored the 1st and 2nd round opponents by a combination of 70 points. That's fairly impressive though, should have them in the final four(well, in Final four, you don't know whether UNC or Kansas will clinch the final).

Well when you play a 16 seed not a very strong 9 seed it helps. But their offense looks amazing right now. Should be a good fight between them and Washington State. Weaver is a shut down defender and Low can light it up from three point range and the big man Baynes inside. Just have to get him in foul trouble, fouled out all three times he played Stanford and Stanford won all three.

sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Since my bracket has turned to **** I no longer care what it says. The two teams that I am rooting for are Davidson and Xavier. The grittiness and style of play has made me fall in love with the team. Burrell and Lavender are outstanding and the team just really gels and fits as a unit.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
ncaa_fan
Saw a basketball once

discuss each game!

http://www.mybubblenet.com/home/sear...er=1&tags=1856.
ncaa_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
RandomBalla55
Local High School Star

Well, here are my thoughts:

Louisville vs Tennessee: I concur with Hippo's sentiments. This should be a really exciting game. I do think though that Louisville has been playing so well in this tournament and Tennessee looked pretty lackluster against American and survived against a quality Butler team that I thought would beat them. Give me Louisville by the slightest of margins.

North Carolina vs Washington St.: I think Wazzou has a chance here. The North Carolina buzzsaw ran through a 16 seed that chose to RUN with them. That doesn't work. Arkansas looked deflated from the start once Carolina flexed it's muscles. I think Wazzou will definitely keep UNC under 100, but it'll all depend how hard it is for Wazzou to get baskets. I'm going to pick UNC by about 7 though, but Wazzou will play them close.

Kansas vs Villanova: I can't see Villanova presenting any problems. Maybe close at half-time but Kansas in a run-away. Jayhawks by 15.

Wisconsin vs Davidson: This one all depends on whether or not Curry's teammates get hot from the perimeter. I think Flowers will do a fine job on Stephen Curry so it's up to the rest of his teammates to play well and try to give Curry some space. Chances are I think Davidson's miracle run ends here, violently. Wisconsin by about 11.

Texas vs Stanford: I think this game is most definitely going down to the wire. I worry a little bit for Augustin and Abrams and wonder if their legs are really tired now. That airballed FT against Miami for Augustin wasn't even CLOSE man, he shot it like a 4th grader. I am picking Texas though just because I think they're a better version of Marquette with better post players (Atchley, Damion James, etc..), and they'll execute and get it done. Texas by about 6.

UCLA vs Western Kentucky: UCLA by about 8. Western Kentucky will keep it close until Jesus Love comes through to bail out UCLA. WKU could in theory pull off the upset though if they get hot from the perimeter but Courtney Lee's teammates are going to have to step up big time, because I think Westbrook will play him well.

Xavier vs WVU: WVU right now looks REALLY good. Both teams look to be extremely well-rounded and don't rely on any one player to do all their scoring. I think this is probably a toss-up but I'm picking Xavier by 3.

Memphis vs Michigan St.: I think Memphis will win by about 6. Sparty will give it a helluva run though. If Sparty though is hitting their shots, then there will be a very good chance of Sparty winning, but their offense is so hit and miss I can't really determine when it'll be on.
RandomBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #10
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

I like your point about Texas being an elite version of Marquette. When I was watching the Marq/Stan game, I thought to myself if Marquette wins, Marq/Tex could produce one of the greatest guard battles we've ever seen.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #11
SwooshGurl
Saw a basketball once

I think people are underestimating and overlooking Wisconsin in this tournament. They have one of the best defenses out there. I am pretty confident they'll beat Davidson and a Wisconsin-Kansas match up will be awesome!!

I just bought a new 47" Vizio HDTV (I only had a 32" TV before!) and it makes such a big difference! The picture is gorgeous and I got the HD cable package of course. Nothing like basketball in HD! Well maybe NASCAR...
SwooshGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #12
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwooshGurl
I think people are underestimating and overlooking Wisconsin in this tournament. They have one of the best defenses out there. I am pretty confident they'll beat Davidson and a Wisconsin-Kansas match up will be awesome!!

I just bought a new 47" Vizio HDTV (I only had a 32" TV before!) and it makes such a big difference! The picture is gorgeous and I got the HD cable package of course. Nothing like basketball in HD! Well maybe NASCAR...

I have a 60" tv so MSU >>>> Wisconsin.:)
Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM   #13
Orangebounce
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
I have a 60" tv so MSU >>>> Wisconsin.:)

Though your TV may be sweet, MSU is going down!!
Orangebounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
qrich
King Heno

UCLA should be on upset watch, and I'm a fan. Reason being is we don't seem to have any consistency from anyone not named Love and Collison. If no one else shows up and one of these two have a sub-par game, WKU can very well sneak up and possibly win
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Name that announcer...

"Xaiver goes.....man to man (say it real fast but low tho)" hahaaa
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: