Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 08-14-2006, 02:32 PM   #121
Bill Swerski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
If we're talking about Dirk, he rebounded extremely well, and easily the best he's ever done, in these past playoffs.

I would say his best playoff series was averaging 36 and 16 against KG 2 or 3 years ago.

Not top 5 tho...
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #122
joewait
National High School Star

joewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cooljoewait is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Care to elaborate on that one? What International rules make him so much better?

under FIBA ball he's by far the best player. wider lanes, more zone, it's why all the american guys suck. and he's also probably the best in the nba too.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 PM   #123
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

dgbigballer9329 has an OK reputation so far

I'd put him right on the borderline of top 5. Definitely below the Lebron's, Kobe's and Wade's though.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #124
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

How can you put him below the Lebron's and Wade's? At comparable ages I could maybe understand it.. but Dirk has done much more by himself than these players have. LeBron hasn't even been to a conference final. And Wade wouldn't have been to a conference final in the West. Without Shaq he would just be a slightly better than average star.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #125
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

I'd say top 10. Hes still not an all star.
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #126
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

so i guess i wouldn't say he's one of the top 5 players in the league, but he was one of the top 5 perfomers last season. meaning that if a guy like KG had dallas' supporting cast, he'd look as good if not better.

Dirk's supporting cast? If Dirk had such a greta supporting cast then why was his team so undervalued? Dirk has a greta supporting cast becaus ehe makes them great. That's what great players do. And that's something KG has never done.

If KG had been in Dirk's position they would have said KG made them look so good.. because Dirk is so undervalued, they say the opposite.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:28 PM   #127
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobedaman24
I'd say top 10. Hes still not an all star.

He is a 5 or 6 time All Star.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:33 PM   #128
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

if you're a gm starting a team from scratch to play one season where would dirk fall on your list? on mine he's below bron, kobe, wade, duncan, and kg, then probably dirk right here followed by tmac if he could stay healthy, possibly iverson... amare if i was sure he'd come back where he was before the microfracture... so for me he's not top 5, but he's close. if i got him instead of kg i wouldn't be upset about it...
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #129
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

He'd be tied for 2nd to me behind only Duncan with Shaq. All three of those guys guarantee you a 50 win season and a shot at a playoff run. Nash is right there too.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #130
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
How can you put him below the Lebron's and Wade's? At comparable ages I could maybe understand it.. but Dirk has done much more by himself than these players have. LeBron hasn't even been to a conference final. And Wade wouldn't have been to a conference final in the West. Without Shaq he would just be a slightly better than average star.

But you just contradicted yourself. Of course Dirk's been further than LeBron has, because he's been in the league that much longer. The point is, if I'm starting a team for JUST next year (so age isn't a factor), I take, in this order, Duncan-Kobe-LeBron-Wade-Dirk.

And Wade had an absolutely amazing playoffs, there can be NO disputing of that. Sure he got a lot of calls, but that's mostly because he was taking the ball to the hole while Dirk was taking jumpers over Haslem. And of course Wade wouldn't be in the conference finals without Shaq. Just as easily, I could say the Mavs wouldn't have beat the Spurs with out the Jet. Pretty hard to dispute.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #131
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

to say Dirk is better than KG is crazy, he's better than him in ever aspect of the game except 3-point shooting and free throws. Sprewell was old...Cassell was old. Terry young, better defender, better shooter and scorer. Howard young, better overall player...all sprewell did was jack up 3's at a pretty bad percentage. Olowokandi...way worse than Dampier. Not only that, the Mavericks didn't have to face the lakers back then. Plus, they have guys who can get to the line a lot better. KG can't get to the line because the refs don't call the foul when he gets hit. He gets hit on every jump shot and they don't call it. That would explain the difference in points. A couple of free throws.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #132
04mzwach

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
so i guess i wouldn't say he's one of the top 5 players in the league, but he was one of the top 5 perfomers last season. meaning that if a guy like KG had dallas' supporting cast, he'd look as good if not better.

Dirk's supporting cast? If Dirk had such a greta supporting cast then why was his team so undervalued? Dirk has a greta supporting cast becaus ehe makes them great. That's what great players do. And that's something KG has never done.

If KG had been in Dirk's position they would have said KG made them look so good.. because Dirk is so undervalued, they say the opposite.

Terry in ATL: 17ppg
Terry in Dallas: 17ppg
Stackhouse career avg: 20ppg
Stackhouse in DAL: 13ppg (about the same if u increase minutes since he played on the bench)
Howard: increased 3 ppg because he is growing, it's only his 3rd year and has played for DAL all 3 years.
Dampier: worst ppg since his rookie year but doesnt make much of a differnce considering he is Dampier and he does what he does

The only way he makes other players better is giving them wide open shots, just like KG does and every other all-star player.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:08 PM   #133
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well I see your point, although you did exagerate like crazy with some of your points. Olwakandi WAY worse than Damp? I dunno about that. Erica is basically just a big body, like Olowakandi, with maybe a LITTLE more skill set. And Spree wasn't nearly as bad as you say. He was probably most comparable to Stack on Dallas, and it's a pretty good comparison, although I think Stack would win. And finally, I wold take Cassell (from THIS year) over Terry any day. SamIAm tore it up this year in the playoffs, and it just proved to me once more that this guy might be one of the best, if not the best decision-making PG in the league. Scoring PG's like JT are everywhere (although the Jet is one of the best), while it's harder (and invaluable) to find a real PG like Cassell in the L. Add in the fact that Sam is a few years older than he was with Minni, and that emphasizes my point even more.

I think you are really underrating KG's talent in that one year he got to the WCF's. There is no doubt that Dirk's team is better, and has been every year, except when they were both equal in KG's one good playoff run, but Dirk has done the most out of the two with the teams they have, so I gotta give this one to Dirk. the point is, KG can't really be a leader (Cassell was in that one year), while Dirk has shown that he can, and does lead teams to big things, and I think that's what seperates the two.

Last edited by RidonKs : 08-15-2006 at 05:10 PM.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #134
04mzwach

The difference is, if it was MIN vs DAL...if they put KG on Dirk...Dirk would be shut down. They put Dirk on KG, KG would put up the same numbers, if not better than usual.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #135
04mzwach

yeah, it's the experience that is so great about Cassell...he looks like he's not doing to much and he's confusing his man everytime with every little fake.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: