Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Article: Los Angeles Times - Walton's up-and-down season continues for Lakers

To view the entire article, click on the source below:
---------------------------------------------------

Quote:

He couldn't miss against Seattle last Friday, scoring 17 points on eight-for-11 shooting and adding five rebounds and four assists. Two days later, he had four points and three turnovers against Golden State.

Then on Monday, he was somewhere in between in a rematch with the Warriors -- eight points, seven rebounds, three assists.

Coach Phil Jackson could only shrug and smile.

"Well, I welcomed him back as a player after Friday night's game. I'll take that back after [Sunday] night's game," he said. "He looked like he was back in the fold Friday night, but he really struggled [Sunday] night."

Why is that?

"His outside shot -- right now, they're just backing off him," Jackson said. "As a result, he's trying to get involved in there and it's tough to do when people just disregard your outside shot. So he has to hit a shot, he has to take a shot, he has to make some shots. . . . If he isn't, he has to continue to create things for other guys, which he is capable of doing."

Walton has made a career of being careful yet creative with the ball, but his turnovers have been rising.

"He's doing stuff in a crowd," Jackson said. "He's been successful in the past with doing it and he surprises people with his ability to put the ball down and go into contact and come out of it with a shot. Right now it hasn't been successful for him."

Source: Walton's up-and-down season continues for Lakers

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Article: Los Angeles Times - Walton's up-and-down season continues for Lakers

He is way too inconsistent right now. With injuries his inconsistency could hurt the team. He does some dirty work i like that but its not enough for the contract he got earlier.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #3
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Article: Los Angeles Times - Walton's up-and-down season continues for Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
He is way too inconsistent right now. With injuries his inconsistency could hurt the team. He does some dirty work i like that but its not enough for the contract he got earlier.
?? lol the guy makes 4 million a year.. that's 1.5 less than an MLE player....

yeah he's been fighting injuries this year and has been used in every possible line up the lakers could have on the court...
i blame some of his problems on that fact, and jacksons use of him as a utility man... luke is a system player he needs to be on the court under roughly the same cicumstancess every night...

yet he's the first one jackson takes out of the line up to fill a role... at the start of the year he was told he'd be a bench player..
he didnt like it but took it in stride and played the part well, then the starters got banged up and luke is a starter where he played really well, then as soon as the starter is better luke gets shuffled but this time he gets shuffled further down the bench, because while he was a starter he lost his spot off the bench, but wait then he's a starter again, then the 6th man...

it's lukes knowledge of the system that jackson likes and the reason why uses him that way, but it's probably the worse thing for walton because his style of play is based on recognition and a feel for the guys he's on the court with and when that changes weekly it's got to be rough... guys like sasha or vlad rad that just come in and shoot are easy to move around..but you can't expect any player to be a key component on the distribution of the ball and not allow him some semblance of consistency...

it's no coincidense that the two most maligned players by lakers fans, luke and lamar are the two most shuffled players in a complex system...

yet no matter how much they get shuffled jackson keeps them in and is never quick to pull the hook like he is with other players when they have a problem, and that spaeks to the fact that phil knows they have been put in difficult situations...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #4
GMW
Local High School Star

GMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation hereGMW has an incredible reputation here

Luke gets an awful lot of hate here from what I've read... I don't really get it. I admit he isn't having a good season and he frustrates me too sometimes, but so do Farmar and Sasha. Luke can still be a very useful player for us but he's had some issues this season, gts explained it pretty well. He'll be fine next season.

If only he could hit open shots, though...
GMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Jayrome05
Skadoosh

Jayrome05 has an OK reputation so far

his jumper was looking good on fri and mon....
Jayrome05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
?? lol the guy makes 4 million a year.. that's 1.5 less than an MLE player....

yeah he's been fighting injuries this year and has been used in every possible line up the lakers could have on the court...
i blame some of his problems on that fact, and jacksons use of him as a utility man... luke is a system player he needs to be on the court under roughly the same cicumstancess every night...

yet he's the first one jackson takes out of the line up to fill a role... at the start of the year he was told he'd be a bench player..
he didnt like it but took it in stride and played the part well, then the starters got banged up and luke is a starter where he played really well, then as soon as the starter is better luke gets shuffled but this time he gets shuffled further down the bench, because while he was a starter he lost his spot off the bench, but wait then he's a starter again, then the 6th man...

it's lukes knowledge of the system that jackson likes and the reason why uses him that way, but it's probably the worse thing for walton because his style of play is based on recognition and a feel for the guys he's on the court with and when that changes weekly it's got to be rough... guys like sasha or vlad rad that just come in and shoot are easy to move around..but you can't expect any player to be a key component on the distribution of the ball and not allow him some semblance of consistency...

it's no coincidense that the two most maligned players by lakers fans, luke and lamar are the two most shuffled players in a complex system...

yet no matter how much they get shuffled jackson keeps them in and is never quick to pull the hook like he is with other players when they have a problem, and that spaeks to the fact that phil knows they have been put in difficult situations...

wow.
I have never thought of it like that. I will cut luke some slack. But I still feel he was much better last year.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
wow.
I have never thought of it like that. I will cut luke some slack. But I still feel he was much better last year.

Well of course. We can all agree on that.

But even then I look at his numbers, and they don't look bad at all for a player coming off the bench.

Dont you agree?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

MJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMJ(Mean John) is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Well of course. We can all agree on that.

But even then I look at his numbers, and they don't look bad at all for a player coming off the bench.

Dont you agree?

They arent bad but I dont know, I kind of expect or atleast want luke to be that 6th man that teams actually worry about. A guy that changes things up and a reason why is because phils constant line up changes. But they arent that bad but when I watch luke play, he turns the ball over so much that it fustrates me so badly. He at times takes dumb shots and dont get started on his defense(Excluding last night).
Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

^^^^
I agree...
For the record. His numbers aren't bad for a Bench player but for a guy who should be our 6, 7th guy off the bench on a LAker sqaud. I just want less turnovers and better defense.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
^^^^
I agree...
For the record. His numbers aren't bad for a Bench player but for a guy who should be our 6, 7th guy off the bench on a LAker sqaud. I just want less turnovers and better defense.

His defense was something that improved. Like gts said a while ago, he leads the bench in steals which might be an overrated stat but I noticed when I watch the games, he hustles and keeps possessions alive for us.

He just doesnt get enough PT to show it all.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
^^^^
I agree...
less turnovers? he's 5th in turnovers on the team.. with something like 1.2 a game, kobe, odom, and a couple others turn it over more than he does...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: