Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Default The Forgotten Legend

http://www.nbadraft.net/maurer001.asp

Quote:
For those that think I'm over-exaggerating his physical strength, look no further than top 50 All time great and teammate Charles Barkley who once said in his autobiography "Outrageous!", "Toney was amazingly strong, he and Moses were the only ones on the team that could post me up!" Barkley went on to say in the book, "I thought he (Toney) was the best player on the team when I got here. We had Bobby Jones, Moses Malone, and Julius Erving but the only one I was in awe of was Andrew."

That is high praise for someone who came out of little known Southwestern Louisiana as the 8th pick in 1980. During what would be his healthy years, Toney averaged 17.5 points and 4.4 assists per game with two All-star appearances in his first 5 seasons.

Which, in short, is phenomenal when you consider the Sixers had two twenty plus scorers and Hall of Famers in Moses Malone and Julius Erving. Nevertheless, what made Toney one of the decades most dominant players was his ability to raise his game when the stakes were high.

Current Miami Heat general manager Pat Riley once said, "He's the greatest clutch player I've ever seen. The hell with Jerry West!" There are a select few players in the NBA that have nicknames that transcend their God given names. Like Earvin to Magic, Jordan to Air, Isiah to Zeke.

Boston fans and the national media knew Toney as the "Boston Strangler" for the way he single handily dominated the Celtics. He was to Boston what Reggie Miller was to the Knicks. He had the talent plus the heart of a cold-blooded killer to stick the dagger in when it mattered most.

The Sixers loved to run isolation plays on the wing for Andrew, where his cat quick first step would be the blueprint for future guards Tim Hardaway and Allen Iverson. So much of a dominant offensive force was Toney that Boston actually traded to acquire defensive stalwart Dennis Johnson just to guard Toney! Did it work? Absolutely not, Toney continued his stellar performances regularly.

Last edited by Dasher : 03-28-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
Dasher

Default Re: The Forgotten Legend

He has become so obscure I have to remind people of his existence when they mention the best players ever to come from my hometown.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

<------- Way ahead of you.

Edit: I had a Toney avatar until I changed it but yes he was sick and destroyed Boston every year.

Last edited by Jailblazers7 : 03-28-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

didnt read the whole article, but I just wanted to mention that Toney had the best nickname EVER.. 'The Boston Strangler' was as feared as Mj (to the celtics at one point) according Danny Ainge...

loved his game
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Dasher

bump
Old 03-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

its too bad he left philly on a bad note.refuses to come back to the team.sixers wanted to honor him march 17th and he wouldnt come.mo cheeks wanted him on his staff last year but he turned it down
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: